Donnie Yen aims for contemporary films

DiP

Fine, I'll be an action star, says Donnie Yen

AFTER attempting to branch out into genres like comedy and drama, Hong Kong's Donnie Yen has resigned himself to being a martial-arts hero on film.

"When people hear the name Donnie Yen, they associate it with someone who does martial arts. I can accept that... It is not easy being an action star these days," said Yen, 47.

He was in town yesterday to attend the gala premier of his latest film, Wu Xia, at VivoCity.

Despite his words about being an action star, Yen - who also served as Wu Xia's action director - still hopes "to allow the audience to see a different side of me".

"As an actor, it is my responsibility to...continue to challenge myself," he added. That is why the Ip Man actor took on roles in the contemporary rom-com All's Well, Ends Well (2011) and the upcoming The Monkey King.

Tellingly, when photographers later asked the actor to strike a "fight" pose, Yen politely refused. The former stuntman revealed that, in the next couple of years, he will be taking a break from period films, focusing instead on contemporary action films, a genre he personally prefers.

Yen broke out in the 1984 action film Drunken Tai Chi, and is finally enjoying a boom in his career. His turn as Bruce Lee's wing-chun master in 2008's Ip Man pushed him firmly into the limelight.

Since then, he's helmed movies like Bodyguards And Assassins (2009) and The Lost Bladesman (2011).

Hollywood has even come calling, with studios sending Yen scripts to consider. He has rejected them all, he revealed, adding that he hasn't read one he likes. Besides, he said, the scene has changed and the West is eyeing China, which has become an important market for American film companies.

Wu Xia, helmed by Hong Kong director Peter Chan, was screened at the Cannes Film Festival with much fanfare earlier this year, and the movie will reportedly be screened in the US. The movie also stars Taiwan-born Japanese actor Takeshi Kaneshiro and Chinese actress Tang Wei.

Reporters yesterday could not resist asking Chan, who was also in town, about rumours that he will direct a film about Singapore's independence. Called 1965, the buzz is that Tony Leung may play Singapore's first prime minister, Mr Lee Kuan Yew.

Chan was quick to shoot down the speculations. "I am not the director," he said, adding that he will be, at most, a "consultant".

"I did promise to help...but nothing was confirmed because I am busy and am not familiar with the material," he said.

The movie is a co-production between Singapore's Homerun Asia and China's Zonbo Media. Chan described the script as "good", but said he has no idea who has been cast.

Talk turned back to Wu Xia.

Though Chan praised Kaneshiro as "one of those rare few actors who is so good looking and yet so non- aggressive", his highest praise was saved for Yen, whose role as an action director was crucial.

"It couldn't be done by anyone else... Without him, I wouldn't have been able to make the movie," he said firmly.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Showbiz/Story/A1Story20110720-290075.html

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weeell, gotta admit that I’m relieved to hear that Yen Ji-Dan ain’t gonna mess with no Hollyweirdness. Personally I can’t wait to see WU XIA, but after LOST BLADESMAN, 14 BLADES and the emotional rollercoaster that was BODYGUARDS & ASSASSINS – to me still the best movie I’ve seen in the last two years! – I was indeed thinking he ought to take a break from period films and concentrate more on gritty modern day action fare. Preferably directed by the likes of Wilson Yip…

ShaOW!linDude

I agree Yen's been overloading on the period piece films. Modern day fare will be a good change of pace for him. Wish he'd find a character other than a hotheaded police detective to play though. I know "tournament" films have been done to death but I don't think he's ever done one. I'd be cool with seeing him in something like that if he choreographed himself.

I'll tell you what thought just struck me: I'd like to see him in a Western. Not some comedy/action Western but a seriously dramatic one as coolie who uses kung fu to help out his oppressed Chinese brethren. Do that for a Hollywood film. (Yeah, I know. It's another type of period piece.:tongue:)

Wish he'd find a character other than a hotheaded police detective to play though.

I've always had this image of him playing a gangster role very well. That would surely be something fresh for him.

I've always had this image of him playing a gangster role very well. That would surely be something fresh for him.

Yes. Agreed!

Listen I love all his movies from Period Films to Modern ones as well! As long as he keeps making films I'm good with that!

TibetanWhiteCrane

YEEES, please... for the love of...... make some kickass contempo action flicks, instead of those Boooooring period pieces... they put me right out!

And props for telling Hollywood to go fuck itself..... so to speak....

AndyWayne84

I honestly don't want Donnie do a Hollywood flim that will waste his amazing skills, they had there chance and blew it putting him in roles that were such a waste. You go Donnie you tell those Hollywood types to go Fuck themselfs with there Bullshit Movies, Co-Stars, and crappy Directors that don't know what there doing with guys like Donnie.

Since Donnie is talking about retiring. I honestly don't want him ending like Jackie and Jet, what boils the vains of my blood is that Hollywood got Jackie when he wasn't in his prime anymore but yet he became a household name with Rush Hour, Jet Li still in his game but now even Jet is showing signs of slowing down with age catching up.

If Hollywood had treated Donnie right i strongly believed he would'ev been the biggest Asian star since Bruce Lee in the States. But no we see Donnie getting wasted in Highlander "End Game" Blade 2, and Shanghai Knights. Mr Yen i encourage you to make more Modern day action flims please no Hollywood flims.

AndyWayne84: You're right Hollywood would mostly likely Mess him up unless you get one of these Young Directors to really show off his true skills. That knows what we want to see. A John Woo Film would be great starring Donnie Yen! John knows both HK Cinema as well as Hollywood Cinema. I would love to see Chow Yun Fat & Donnie Yen in an all about War! That would be Off the Hook!

I would love to see Chow Yun Fat & Donnie Yen in an all about War! That would be Off the Hook!

That will happen next year in The Monkey King.

AndyWayne84
AndyWayne84: You're right Hollywood would mostly likely Mess him up unless you get one of these Young Directors to really show off his true skills. That knows what we want to see. A John Woo Film would be great starring Donnie Yen! John knows both HK Cinema as well as Hollywood Cinema. I would love to see Chow Yun Fat & Donnie Yen in an all about War! That would be Off the Hook!

daisho2004: That would be epic if it truly happened. I could see John Woo working with Donnie Yen on a project if it ever happens sometime in the future, John is a great choice better than some talentless hack Director like Bret Ratner whom i dislike very much. I hope Donnie get's a rematch with Sammo before either men retire from acting infront of the camara that's something i want the Yenster to do more than anything.

There was talk about the Expendables on everyones dream casting and to be honest i don't see Donnie in the Expendables unless he's able to show off his skills, playing Jet Li's rival the way Sly and Arnie were in the Church scene.

YEEES, please... for the love of...... make some kickass contempo action flicks, instead of those Boooooring period pieces... they put me right out!

And props for telling Hollywood to go fuck itself..... so to speak....

I have to agree it would be great to see Donnie Yen making a contemporary balls to the wall action film. So many of his recent movies have been so dull between the action sequences. Extremely well-made movies but just not exciting enough with the exception of ip man.

While I agree with everybody sentiment with regards to Hollywood. I personally would like to see Yen starring in a Hollywood martial-arts action movie. I think now more than ever Hollywood needs to be reminded how to make a hard-hitting adult action movie. Jet Li and Jackie Chan are far from providing in this area showing mainstream audiences how great martial-arts movies can be. Yen being raised in America speaks excellent English and being at a height of his career could command a decent enough budget. Bring on board the Alpha stunts team, Johnny Yong Bosch and Mark Dacascos! In my humble opinion it already has the components to be an extremely tasty martial-arts movie.:xd:

ShaOW!linDude

Yen's smart 'cause he know he'd have to cede a certain amount of control over the action. He essentially has free rein with HK film companies. Even if Hollywood were to agree to let him do his thing, the execs would still have their hands in the production somewhere to justify their existence.:tongue:

I don't see why he should bother with Hollywood again. They wouldn't let him run the show (even if given control in some way) and venturing into B-productions is too low for his standards. He already tried and China's film market is booming and will soon become the main link for Hollywood companies to get slices of the cake. Thanks but no thanks to Hollywood.

AndyWayne84
I don't see why he should bother with Hollywood again. They wouldn't let him run the show (even if given control in some way) and venturing into B-productions is too low for his standards. He already tried and China's film market is booming and will soon become the main link for Hollywood companies to get slices of the cake. Thanks but no thanks to Hollywood.

He really shouldn't mess with Hollywood again to tell you the truth. I do agree Donnie would be subjected to B-Level Movies it wouldn't make sense for him to go to that direction after making hits like excluding Dragon Tiger Gate which not counting. He made flims like SPL, Flash Point, Seven Swords, Ip man, Ip man 2, Bodyguards and Assassins, Legend of the Fist. " The Return of Chen Zhen" The Lost Bladesman, and Wuxia aka Dragon. (Those flims were Box Office hits in Asia why suddenly Donnie should be linked to let's say exsample some idiot Producer says hey Donnie i want you to do a Hip Hop Wing Chun Movie which will get the kids to go out and see, maybe make alot of Money you'll be bigger than Jackie Chan and Jet Li, yeah i see Donnie turnning it down.

I admire Donnie's take it or leave it Attitude towards Hollywood. Jackie and Jet haven't really made the best flims out there to match there sucess interms of there glory days of great flims, Donnie is a smart man he'll choose what's best for him which is Asia not Hollywood he won't have much control interms of Action, direction, and everything else. If the concept of Donnie breaking into the west is done right then Donnie has conquered the West, another thing i worry is that Hollywood may want him to copy Ip man interms of action which i know Donnie doesn't want to do another Ip man which i cannot blame him after many flims in the works with that same character which is kind of anoying.

He isn't getting younger. " Let's just face it Donnie like everyone is in Martial Arts Cinema is Mortal that age is catching up to him enough that he himself can't afford to waste what he has left on a lousey Hollywood movie."

i would love to see him in a film like (or remake of) man from hong kong. always liked that movie . would have loved to see bruce lee do something like it. donnie would own that role.

Id love to see some more Flashpoint style fight that was awesome and no wire work.

yes absolutely no wire work especially in a contemporary film.

Is it too much to ask for a modern hand to hand martial arts fight between Donnie Yen and Jet Li before I die? I'm tired of Jet Li wasting his time on wires. (Not that I don't enjoy a good wuxia flick.)

AndyWayne84
Is it too much to ask for a modern hand to hand martial arts fight between Donnie Yen and Jet Li before I die? I'm tired of Jet Li wasting his time on wires. (Not that I don't enjoy a good wuxia flick.)

A hand to hand fight between Donnie and Jet would be a dream come true. The day that happens the day that Jet Li will fight Dolph Lundgren again, Jet with wires i'm not a big fan of i'm curious to see how would Jet would match up to Donnie's MMA skills.

That would so epic seeing Jackie and Donnie working together in a flim.

They have done two films together, SHANGHAI KNIGHTS (see the DVD for the extended fight between the two) and TWINS EFFECT II (JC had a cameo and has a weapons fight against Yen).

With Jackie apparently saying that CHINESE ZODIAC would be his last "big action" film, if this rumor is true, I bet it would be as if Chan would play a mentor to Yen perhaps...who knows.

I must admit I would rather see Jet Li fight Donnie Yen as has been mentioned without wires. Would be great if Jet Li gave us one more great grounded Martial artsmovie before he retired.

I'm not overly enthused about Jackie and Donny being in the same film. The last two were hardly great. I wish these guys would give some younger talent platform .

AndyWayne84
They have done two films together, SHANGHAI KNIGHTS (see the DVD for the extended fight between the two) and TWINS EFFECT II (JC had a cameo and has a weapons fight against Yen).

With Jackie apparently saying that CHINESE ZODIAC would be his last "big action" film, if this rumor is true, I bet it would be as if Chan would play a mentor to Yen perhaps...who knows.

I know i have seen both of them :) Shanghai Knights was okay not my favorite interms of story i felt it was lackluster compared to the first one. I did enjoy the extended fight between Donnie and Jackie which was the better part of the flim, Twins Effect 2... ill go on record saying i didn't enjoy it much only except the Jackie vs Donnie battle but the rest of the flim itself wasn't as good as the first Twins Effect.

Archived