Overheard 2 (2011)

DiP

New posters to the sequel of the 2009 smash hit. A reunion of actors Lau Ching Wan, Louis Koo and Daniel Wu, and producer Derek Yee (One Nite in Mongkok, Protege) as well as writer/director duo Alan Mak and Felix Chong (Infernal Affairs trilogy, The Lost Bladesman), this sequel will be a different take on the same formula with a different story and different characters. The movie will be released on August 18.

0bfda73be60845ec8a91e4fc6ede373f.jpg

c2e25515e6a0421d94ab6f103c760894.jpg

f836cfd9ec9c4a9d8cdeef1d62b057c6.jpg

http://www.chinesefilms.cn/1/2011/07/14/141s4008.htm

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very seldom that sequels surpass originals but I think this film is one of those cases. For the most part. The first film was fine as it was until the third act which had too much melodrama to be any memorable. Lau Ching Wan's character was also the most interesting while Louis Koo took the premise a little bit everywhere (a good and bad thing) and Daniel Wu was too subdued for anything good to come out. Plus Michael Wong was out of place (how does this guy still get work in Hong Kong?).

Part 2 corrects those flaws with the almost original cast but made for a totally different script. There's still that background check and subplots on the three main characters to let us know how they are, think and operate things around them. But Chong/Mak made better decisions here on how to mix things up to create great resolutions and consistency in pacing without any unnecessary twists/changes that were present in Part 1. Things are switched here as well. Since Lau, Koo, and Wu play new roles the quality varies as far as performance goes. Lau plays it safe and economical (pretty much how he always does), Koo seems to be doing Lau's routines from Part 1 mixed with his acting style in Election 2 while Wu provides the most exciting, violent and sympathetic moments. It must be said: this is Wu's film because his character goes through the most and is the distinguishing driver of the story.

Beside all that and the damn intensity that Mak/Chong are so good at, we also get a soundtrack (composed by Chan Kwong-Wing, the Hans Zimmer of China), action set-pieces (choreographed by Dion Lam, look out for the vehicle chase scene around the end of the first half of the film!), and cinematography/lighting of top quality.

OK. I may be in the vast minority but i think Part 1 was superior to this. Yes I agree with most of the failings of the original. But there is something about this movie. It wasn't bad. It just was okay. I can't kill it for any huge misgiving but at the same time I can't laud over it either.

Part 2 is superior in the action department. And this film gives Daniel Wu the stage which he did not receive in the first go round. But I never felt anything for these characters except for Daniel Wu's on-screen mom. (The final scene of the movie made me tear up a little.) No one was really likable. Louis Koo was good as usual but the backstory with his wife was never delved into deeply enough for me to really care one way or the other. Overall its a fine watch but nothing I suspect would be on any All-Time lists. Rating 6/10

Archived