Miramax WING CHUN on Netflix Instant in HD

Rhythm-X

The Miramax print of WING CHUN is on Netflix Instant. Clean and clear Cantonese mono with yellow English subs. The film's probably never looked better.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's easily been a decade at the very least since I last watched the Tai Seng release of the film to compare, but I seriously doubt this Miramax version was cut... and if that wasn't the original music it was a world-class synth-powered approximation of a typical mid-1990s Hong Kong score. The only obvious alteration is the addition of the Miramax logo to the start and end of the film. Unless there's cuts I'm missing here, slap this exact presentation on a Blu-ray and I'll buy it on principle.

As far as I know, Miramax only wrecked films they had concrete plans of releasing. The films they bought and shelved for years without touching, which have since trickled out to cable, Spanish language TV, and now Netflix, have pretty much been the model of what the customers have been asking for from DVD/Blu-ray releases (and even, on rare occasion, getting). High quality actual HD transfers, uncut, original audio mixes (well, except for on the Spanish language channels, obviously), and (what appear to be) reasonably good subtitles. I'm hoping against hope for their HD, retranslated, subtitled-end-text version of PEKING OPERA BLUES (which ran on Kung Fu HD back when that channel was around) to make an appearance.

It may be worth checking out then. It would be nice if they released it uncut on blueray or dvd sometime soon. I may have to check it out compared to my old dvd release. Cool!

Archived