Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon (1990) - Any good?

iron flag

Cognoscente

It would have been nice if Sammo recreated Bruce's pole-wielding moments in WOTD and ETD like he did with Lee's Escrima and nunchaku moments.

• Like 2

I sat down and watched the Eureka! Blu Ray of Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon (1990). I was never a huge fan of this film and I'm sad to say that nothing much has changed. I don't think it's terrible. Not at all. But I do think it's a bit humdrum, with the comedy failing to make me laugh (or even smile). The plot isn't anything special and, what's worse, the action has a particular issue I can't quite put my finger on. Something in the edit. The choreography is phenomenal. I love the fight scenes. But I feel like there might be too many close ups or something. I feel like I can't see as much as the action as I do in other Sammo film like Pedicab Driver. Maybe I'm nuts. 

All in all I'd say the film is good. A solid three stars. But it isn't one of my favorites when it comes to Sammo and Lau Kar Wing. It's missing some pizzazz. Some oomph. Once the finale hits, it turns into a FANTASTIC action fest, of course, but it just takes too long to get there and the sprinkling of action in other areas just isn't enough.

• Like 4

legendarycurry
On 2/21/2022 at 10:43 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I sat down and watched the Eureka! Blu Ray of Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon (1990). I was never a huge fan of this film and I'm sad to say that nothing much has changed. I don't think it's terrible. Not at all. But I do think it's a bit humdrum, with the comedy failing to make me laugh (or even smile). The plot isn't anything special and, what's worse, the action has a particular issue I can't quite put my finger on. Something in the edit. The choreography is phenomenal. I love the fight scenes. But I feel like there might be too many close ups or something. I feel like I can't see as much as the action as I do in other Sammo film like Pedicab Driver. Maybe I'm nuts. 

All in all I'd say the film is good. A solid three stars. But it isn't one of my favorites when it comes to Sammo and Lau Kar Wing. It's missing some pizzazz. Some oomph. Once the finale hits, it turns into a FANTASTIC action fest, of course, but it just takes too long to get there and the sprinkling of action in other areas just isn't enough.

I enjoy STFD myself but I understand those that don't. The comedy is certainly hit or miss though I like the chemistry between Sammo and Maka. I really like the fight scenes, but I will agree with you partially in regards to that "thing you can't quite put your finger on"

This film has more of a 90's Sammo vibe much like Pantyhose Hero (which again hit or miss humor) also has a bit more of a faster, tighter editing style though the sense of impact and visceral energy is still present in the fights (Same is true for all of the fight footage I've seen from Don't Give a Damn, though I've not seen the entirety of Don't give a Damn),. It could be worth mentioning that the credited action choreographers for STFD does not include Sammo. It does however include Ridley Tsui and Hung Yan Yan (alongside Lau Kar Wing, with Blacky Ko for the car stuff), both of which came from the late 80's/early 90's style/school of fight choreography/editing.

Here's a scene from Pantyhose Hero that you might feel has the same vibes as skinny Tiger in terms of editing, angles, pacing and impact:

• Like 3

On 2/21/2022 at 9:43 PM, Drunken Monk said:

The plot isn't anything special and, what's worse, the action has a particular issue I can't quite put my finger on. Something in the edit. The choreography is phenomenal. I love the fight scenes. But I feel like there might be too many close ups or something. I feel like I can't see as much as the action as I do in other Sammo film like Pedicab Driver. Maybe I'm nuts. 

In Chris Gilbert's review on his defunct HK DVD Heaven site, he wrote: "I've never been a great fan of Lau's, either as an actor or director, and this film has done little to sway my opinion of him. Whilst he's undoubtedly physically talented, his direction always seems to lack the clarity Sammo brings to even the most complicated fight scene. The film's finale is superbly choreographed, but the direction never establishes any sort of tempo. Certain shots would have been better had they been less protracted, whilst others are too quickly cut, reducing the excitement of the battles, and ultimately providing a rather detached viewing experience."

On 7/12/2011 at 4:10 PM, David Rees said:

Sammo didnt mention Bruce specifically in this film because they were afraid the Lee estate might get involved (sad eh).

In Bey Logan's Bruce Lee book, he wrote: "The good news was that, under the British law that still governed Hong Kong, a person's rights to their name and likeness ended with their death. This meant that we could open a Bruce Lee Café with impunity, whereas in the United States, we would have had to get permission from the Lee Estate."

Perhaps Lau Kar-Wing should have filmed two versions - a Bruce version for the HK market and a Manhua version for everywhere else. Compare the freedom that Sammo enjoyed with Enter the Fat Dragon with the inhibition inflicted upon those involved with The Death of Bruce Lee (1975).

• Like 1

Sammo may have gone out of his prime as a director (started directing less thematic stories) after leaving Golden Harvest in the late 1980s, but this movie was one of his last outings as the lead actor where he was in his prime physically. This, Encounter of the Spooky Kind 2Pantyhose HeroThe Gambling Ghost, and Slickers Vs Killers. All of these movies shot before 1992, the year when Sammo turned 40, and started to shoot his action scenes differently and with less demands on his own physicality.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

PandaPawPaw

Hell no!

I saw it ages ago and hated it.

I rewatched it last week and still hate it. The hitting the pigs bit annoyed me and Sammo is so annoying in it. I think he's awesome but in this he sucks.

The film itself is dull and the stupid BL face he does bugs the hell out of me.

It sounds like it'd be a really good fun film but it's so not that!

EDIT: Scatch that, I'm thinking of Enter the Fat Tiger.

Edited by PandaPawPaw
Wrong movie.

legendarycurry
On 5/26/2023 at 12:56 PM, PandaPawPaw said:

Hell no!

I saw it ages ago and hated it.

I rewatched it last week and still hate it. The hitting the pigs bit annoyed me and Sammo is so annoying in it. I think he's awesome but in this he sucks.

The film itself is dull and the stupid BL face he does bugs the hell out of me.

It sounds like it'd be a really good fun film but it's so not that!

, I know this is an old comment, but the movie you are describing sounds like Enter The Fat Dragon? Specifically the pig bit.

• Buddha Bless You 1

PandaPawPaw
55 minutes ago, legendarycurry said:

, I know this is an old comment, but the movie you are describing sounds like Enter The Fat Dragon? Specifically the pig bit.

Errr......yeah that was on purpose. I was trying to test the MA aficionados on this forum and none of them saw my mistake except you! You win the cuddly toy! :P

Okay, you got me. My mistake and yeah I was talking about ETFD. No idea why I posted that here though. :wondering

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Buddha Bless You 1