Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon (1990) - Any good?

iron flag

Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon and Aces go Places 2 are playing at the New Beverly Cinema in LA tonight (July 8th).. Kung Fu comedy has never really been my favorite so I've actually never seen either of these. I'm thinking of going since there arent too many Kung Fu double features of any kind these days..

Guest Markgway

Skinny Tiger has silly comedy AND hard action. Aces 2 less on the action (maybe more stuntwork and gimmickry). Both are worth a look.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
...are playing at the New Beverly Cinema in LA tonight (July 8th)...

Odd that this thread was started today- on the 12th of July, but you said it's playing "tonight (July 8th)... :smile: Hope you don't have your days mixed up and already missed it?

Anyway, Markgway was right on the money with his answer. In SKINNY TIGER, FATTY DRAGON Sammo whips out his Brucee Lee imitation (he's my favorite of all of the Little Dragon's imitators) for the fight scenes. But less like in ENTER THE FAT DRAGON which was played mostly for laughs, and more like his stick fight in MILLIONAIRE'S EXPRESS. He uses the nunchaku and throws some devastating looking kicks. The film is a lot of fun.

I liked Skinny Tiger, but I am known for liking all kinds of crap. I say give it a shot.. the more you watch the more you understand. :neutral:

Skinny Tiger is a great film, especially the action, sags a bit in the middle but a great climax. Sammo didnt mention Bruce specifically in this film because they were afraid the Lee estate might get involved (sad eh).

I had a Mandarin VHS many moons ago which had the extended fight at the end with Mark Houghton, it was cut down a lot for the HK release and hasnt been seen since, and i dont have the tape any more:cry:!!!

Reel Power Stunts

I think I have the extended Mark Houghton fight on a very old VHS. Last time I checked, I seem to remember the tape was horrible! The fight is good, though, so perhaps I should capture it, clean it up a bit and upload...

I think I have the extended Mark Houghton fight on a very old VHS. Last time I checked, I seem to remember the tape was horrible! The fight is good, though, so perhaps I should capture it, clean it up a bit and upload...

Yeah would love to see that

masterofoneinchpunch

Aces go Places 2 is my favorite of the AGP series. While it can be quite silly there is some great stunts, gags and is particularly fun. I wouldn't think of it as a Kung Fu comedy and more of a modern day (for the early 80s) provincial action comedy.

ShaOW!linDude

Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon is a must for Sammo fans. One of my favorite fight sequences is in the alley against some young ladies. Pretty brutal.:tongue:

Skinny is worth seeing purely for the Lee Hoi San role!! Though not one for the politically correct brigade! Shades of Don't Give a Damn...

masterofoneinchpunch
Lee Hoi San is nowhere to be seen in the movie. Maybe you mean Lau Kar-Wing?

He's probably thinking of Enter the Fat Dragon and the infamous blackface.

Please do!!..would love to see it again, it should never have been cut.

ShaOW!linDude
He's probably thinking of Enter the Fat Dragon and the infamous blackface.

Yuen Biao does the black-face thing, too, in Don't Give A Damn.

Its been a long while since I last saw Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon but as I remember it had an excellent blend of comedy and action.

Its been a long while since I last saw Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon but as I remember it had an excellent blend of comedy and action.

Exactly right. It's comedy hits as hard as the action, a more grown up kind of humour. Finale is classic.

A definite ★★★★ out of ★★★★★ film.

Love to see that extended fight!

Reel Power Stunts

OK chaps, managed to dig out my dusty old vhs tape, hook up the vcr to the laptop, and capture the full Sammo vs Mark. Sorry that the quality isn't great - I did try to adjust it and clean it up a bit. Hope you enjoy.

kdmQz3hRDR4

Okay, I'm going to have to dig out my copy and check it 'cause I don't remember that and that was SAH - WEET!

Thanks for posting that, RPS.

OK chaps, managed to dig out my dusty old vhs tape, hook up the vcr to the laptop, and capture the full Sammo vs Mark. Sorry that the quality isn't great - I did try to adjust it and clean it up a bit. Hope you enjoy.

kdmQz3hRDR4

Appreciate the effort putting the clip up,, but I know this is the version I am used to seeing of this fight,maybe Long shong old mandarin video i have watched a million times..

So is the HKL version shorter? I cant seem to find the fight on youtube to compare it.

I also remember the old english dubbed VHS from Chris Alexis that had no end fights at all just jmp cut to the explosion

Reel Power Stunts

The versions of "Skinny Tiger" I've seen:

HK laserdisc

HKL UK DVD

HK Television broadcast (in 1996)

Those were all Cantonese language and the Mark Houghton fight was cut short.

This VHS bootleg I got back in 1990 from the "Jackie Chan Fan Club". It's also Cantonese. It has the long fights, but I suspect it was from a sales tape (to show to possible distributors), and was possibly made prior to the HK cinema release.

I've never seen the Long Shong Mandarin version (nor for that matter the HK DVD), but as I'm sure you know, often Taiwan releases of HK films came out sooner and were longer than the eventual HK edit.

I wasn't suggesting the video I posted was super-rare - just that many folks who have seen the film may not have seen this decent fight. BTW, sorry that the YT video seems to skip a second of Sammo kicking Mark - this is a glitch, not a cut.

kdmQz3hRDR4

Thanks for sharing that! It's sad that most complete versions of Hong Kong movies aren't even shown in Hong Kong.