Spike Lee In Talks To Direct The OLDBOY Remake?

The Amazing Psycho Per

OpiumKungFuCracker
I love Oldboy. I really do. But I'm also not as remake-sensitive as much of the internet crowd seems to be. If the remake sucks, I'll always have the original, and the remake will in no way, shape, or from change that. In this case, I don't see where it could suck. Spike Lee's a damn fine director. All you need for proof is Do the Right Thing, murky ending aside. Josh Brolin is perfect casting and if Firth ends up in the villain role, we're all set for a hell of a movie if the stars align correctly. I'm looking forward to it, actually.

Who would you want cast as the daughter??? I'd go with Ellen Page, she is due for a steamy sex scene and she has been in some stellar movies lately....

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OpiumKungFuCracker

• AlbertV

• TibetanWhiteCrane

• reason108

Dark Horizons reports that Tommy Lister, who played Deebo in FRIDAY and NEXT FRIDAY, said that he is going to meet with Ice Cube and Chris Tucker about a new installment of the FRIDAY series, which ended with FRIDAY AFTER NEXT.

OpiumKungFuCracker

It could be worst. Are there more posters for this film or is this the official poster we'd see going through the hallway of a movie theater?

whats so bad about the poster?

I have to admit i am not a big fan of the original movie, but i am curious to see what Lee's take will be.

TibetanWhiteCrane

That is one of the worst movie posters i've ever seen!

Glad im not a fan of the original either.... Spike Lee is beyond pathetic.

OpiumKungFuCracker
whats so bad about the poster?

I have to admit i am not a big fan of the original movie, but i am curious to see what Lee's take will be.

That is one of the worst movie posters i've ever seen!

Glad im not a fan of the original either.... Spike Lee is beyond pathetic.

Please explain why not fan of oldboy? I don't mind your thoughts I'd like to know did you not like the film, overrated, okay good, sucked, what???

Guest Markgway

I didn't much care for the original Oldboy either.

Took me two viewings to get thru it.

Much ado about nothing...

...and that poster is awful...

TibetanWhiteCrane

Just not really into that Korean dark weirdness, or Korean cinema as a whole. There are some great ones, but I never really got into it, even though I watched a lot of them through the naughts.

Some of my friends who were not even asian film fans loved it, and stuff like Ichi The Killer.... which I also really didn't like.

Can't explain taste...

masterofoneinchpunch
Just not really into that Korean dark weirdness, or Korean cinema as a whole. There are some great ones, but I never really got into it, even though I watched a lot of them through the naughts.

Some of my friends who were not even asian film fans loved it, and stuff like Ichi The Killer.... which I also really didn't like.

Can't explain taste...

I think there is a sadistic strain throughout some of that cinema you do not like. It can be well made (like the Vengeance trilogy) or have some quite interesting scenes and situations (like Ichi), but sometimes leaves you feeling less than whole.

Anyways that poster seems to me almost comedic, like Jim Carrey is popping out of the box.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, generally not a fan of sadism, torture, rape etc. on screen.... i'd rather see some good action.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Yeah, generally not a fan of sadism, torture, rape etc. on screen.... i'd rather see some good action.

Man you are missing a lot of great cinema that have those attributes. When it comes to cinema I have no filter. Well Tyler Perry and Adam Sandler comes to mind, shit I might need a filter after all.:tongue:

TibetanWhiteCrane

Said I wasn't really a fan of it, didn't say I never see it. I have lots of Giallo, Sukeban, CatIII and every other genre that most definitely features all those things, it's just the least interesting thing about those movies, if you ask me. Trust me... im not missing anything.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Said I wasn't really a fan of it, didn't say I never see it. I have lots of Giallo, Sukeban, CatIII and every other genre that most definitely features all those things, it's just the least interesting thing about those movies, if you ask me. Trust me... im not missing anything.

Well, feast you eyes on this then.

1Yf9te8cesg

Guest Markgway

Pretty much agree.

TibetanWhiteCrane

No Sandler? Oh come on... Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore are comedy classics! The rest of his stuff... yeah, not so much.

OpiumKungFuCracker
No Sandler? Oh come on... Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore are comedy classics! The rest of his stuff... yeah, not so much.

Yes 90s Sandler funny, Grown ups 2 Sandler, not funny.

The trailer for Oldboy is out now. Not sure what to think about it yet. Some of the scenes seem to be taken from the original movie. The trailer does not seem to have the right "vibe" to me. I hate the fact that they are using what I thought originally was a good plot device as the tag line on the poster and in the trailer. I only am interested in seeing this movie to see what doesn`t get put into it. If you have seen the original then you know what i mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nRa7dY9R-M

It`s always funny when filmmakers say they are not doing a remake but going back to the original source material but then end up doing almost a shot for shot remake.

One Armed Boxer

Somewhere in the back of my mind I kept telling myself that I could be pleasantly surprised by this, to see what Spike Lee could do, to see how different it could be with the constant claims that it was going to stick closely to the manga. Now that the trailer is out....I can't hold back any longer, I'm afraid I already hate it.

On a sidenote, I don't think this should be in the Modern Martial Arts Section....World Cinema surely?

I'll withhold judgement on the movie for now, but I have to agree on the poster - it's horrible. It looks like Josh Brolin got kidnapped on his way to the set of the Matrix. Sometimes trying to make people say "I wonder what this movie could be about" turns into "I have no earthly clue what is going on here and I have no desire to find out either."

OpiumKungFuCracker
The Indian oldboy already sounds better

8Q-rW1FZMX8

I want to see as many oldboy variation as possible. Is there another oldboy from another country that I can find like a German Oldboy or a Canadian Oldboy?

Secret Executioner
The Indian oldboy already sounds better

8Q-rW1FZMX8

Indians have a certain talent at re-making foreign cinema their own way. You never know what to expect though.