Spike Lee In Talks To Direct The OLDBOY Remake?

The Amazing Psycho Per

India remade Oldboy as " Zinda " (Alive) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0488906/ so let's seen what Hollywood comes up with then compare the remakes but I honestly think the original Oldboy is a unique movie in all aspects that is as good as it gets.There is no justification for other versions.

Oldboy is a masterclass in all aspects of movie-making.There is a lot to take in regarding producing,directing,scriptwriting,cinematography,camera operating,editing etc etc etc.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OpiumKungFuCracker

• AlbertV

• TibetanWhiteCrane

• reason108

OpiumKungFuCracker

Ummmmm, wow!!!! Did not see that one coming... Interesting choice if it does go through...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50273

Nordling here.

I can't vouch for the veracity of this, but Twitchfilm's reporting tonight that Spike Lee is in talks to direct the remake to Park Chan-Wook's classic OLDBOY. Lee hasn't directed a feature film since MIRACLE AT ST. ANNA, not counting his New Orleans documentaries, and this would be his return, if this story is true.

Look, we're going to get an American remake of this. It was only a matter of time - the film's too good, the story is too compelling, and it's too much of a cult hit that it couldn't be ignored by Hollywood forever. If we're going to get an American remake, we should hope for the best remake possible and root for the success, if for nothing else so audiences unfamiliar with the original would make an effort to seek it out. But Spike Lee directing it is an inspired choice, and if Lee doesn't gloss over the rougher edges of the original film the remake could very well stun audiences all over again. That's the key, of course - keeping all the twists and horrifying turns intact. Can American audiences handle OLDBOY, especially with the more Puritan sensibilities that this country seems to be experiencing these days? Who can say for sure.

And who would wield the hammer? Well, Spike's worked with Denzel Washington before, obviously, but I can't imagine he would just go along with some of the plot twists in the latter half of the film. But I could see Denzel taking down a bunch of thugs in a hallway. Or would Spike hire another actor? And who would play Oh Daesu's (and you know that name will be gone) nemesis? So many questions.

The remake's going to happen. All we can do is hug our Tartan Asia Extreme Blu-Ray and hope for the best.

Nordling, out.

Spike Lee can do some good, that's for sure. Still not sure he's the best choice for it. :/

My choice would be Tsui Hark and Van Damme.

ShaOW!linDude

Why remake this?

Is Hollywood hoping for another lightning strike such as Scorsese's "The Departed", an American remake of "Infernal Affairs"? (That's not a diss, either. Just an example. And I confess.....I haven't seen either of them. Heard good things though.)

This film is too current. This is a stupid idea. Clone cinema.....that's all this is.

TheDenizen

Spike Lee, lol

Totally the wrong director, but at least it's a step in the right direction...I remember last year people were talking about Spielberg directing an Oldboy remake. Ugh THAT would've been truly awful.

Anyways, the latest plan I heard is to have it star Will Smith so it's going to be shit regardless of the director. Not to mention that you know they're going to change the ending to make it safe and inoffensive to American sensibilities. Probably best to give this one a pass if you're a fan of the original.

Of course the big picture that most people seem to be missing out on completely is that Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance was a much better film than Oldboy and probably better suited to a US remake.

Hmmmm...IDK...Spike has made some interesting films (I like DO THE RIGHT THING and BAMBOOZLED), but I'm not sure if he could tackle a project like OLDBOY. I say for this, one needs talent like perhaps Ryuhei Kitamura (who has been making his mark on America as of late with THE MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN and the upcoming NO ONE LIVES) or maybe this could be something the likes of Adam Green (HATCHET) or even (yes I will get shot for this), Marcus Nispel. Hell, I think even David Fincher could succeed with OLDBOY.

daisho2004

Honestly I really didn't like OldBoy, I didn't even finish watching it! Now "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" was Off the Hook! So if Spike wants to do a remake let him! Hollywood is stealing every other Asian movie! Whats next Seth Rogen as Ip Man?

I can't remember the last time Spike Lee made a decent film. Whatever, he's past overdue for a good film so bring it on Spikey.

25th Hour

Inside Man

ShaOW!linDude
Whats next Seth Rogen as Ip Man?

BWAAAA - HAAAA - HAAAA!!!

I'd sooner see that truthfully.:tongue:

The american audience has become so sensitive and whiney it makes me sick. The cry if they see some blood and guts, people getting killed, and they cry if they don't get it their way. If I was a film-maker I would make the goriest most upsetting movie with a great story just to piss off the american whiney audience. They have ruined movies in this country. They only make pg movies anymore. The horror genre is dead, the MA genre is dead..Next the regular movies will be dead replaced by CGI fests. I was watching that crapfest movie Suckerpunch and thought what has film-making come to here.

There is some truth to what your saying but I think you're being overly harsh. Yes they barely make any good R movies anymore, but I actually enjoyed Sucker Punch; saw it opening day and bought a blu ray player and the extended cut of the movie opening day also. :nerd: Keep in mind I was totally against blu ray before and I still think its a cheap money grab and forcing the perfectly fine dvd out the door.

Plain and simple: american audiences will NOT go to a subtitled movie.

Untill hi def tv's came out they couldn't understand why some dvd's had those black bars above and below the movie.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Spike Lee is set to direct Oldboy remake according to Mandate Pictures....

Los Angeles (July 11, 2011) – Mandate Pictures announced today that Spike Lee (Inside Man) will direct OLDBOY, a remake of the highly-acclaimed South Korean film. Mark Protosevich has adapted the screenplay and will co-produce. Roy Lee and Doug Davison (The Departed, The Grudge) will produce. The film is a Vertigo Entertainment/40 Acres & A Mule Production. Mandate President Nathan Kahane will executive produce.

“It’s a great honor to put this special project into the hands of such a gifted writer and iconic director,” said Kahane.

OLDBOY tells the story of a man who is kidnapped and imprisoned on his daughter’s birthday. For fifteen years, he is held captive, and, upon his release, must begin his journey to find the reason for his imprisonment. He soon finds out that his kidnapper has plans for him more tortuous than his solitary confinement. The original film, released in 2003, directed by Chan-wook Park won the Grand Prize Jury Award at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival.

I heard that too but before OLDBOY, he is making a pseudo-sequel to his hit film DO THE RIGHT THING, entitled RED HOOK SUMMER, in which he will direct and once again play his DTRT character of Mookie. He just began shooting the movie. Twitch

And Mark Protosevich is combining elements of BOTH the original Japanese manga and Park Chan-Wook's Korean film for his script of OLDBOY. Twitch

The site also said that the producers are hoping to get Josh Brolin as the lead character.

It is official...Josh Brolin will play the lead role in OLDBOY. Shooting begins in March. Details at Dark Horizons

Bleah. A better choice than Will Smith by far, but still not that good. I think I'll pass on this one.

I hope it goes through, I like Rooney Mara very much...

She was one of the pluses of the NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET remake (as Nancy). Seeing the GWTDT remake trailer, she looks like she can pull off Lisbeth, but not like Noomi Rapace, but her own interpretation works in this case.

Update from Dark Horizons

Colin Firth ("The King's Speech") has been offered the main villain role in Spike Lee's "Oldboy" remake for Mandate Pictures says Twitchfilm.

Chan-wook Park's original 2002 South Korean thriller followed a man seeking revenge against those who kept him in confinement for over 15 years.

If he takes the role Firth will play Adrian, the villain who squares off against Josh Brolin's lead character. It sounds like it's the equivalent of the role 26-year-old model Yoo Ji-tae played in the original.

Mark Protosevich penned the script, no word as yet on when shooting will kick off.

I love Oldboy. I really do. But I'm also not as remake-sensitive as much of the internet crowd seems to be. If the remake sucks, I'll always have the original, and the remake will in no way, shape, or from change that. In this case, I don't see where it could suck. Spike Lee's a damn fine director. All you need for proof is Do the Right Thing, murky ending aside. Josh Brolin is perfect casting and if Firth ends up in the villain role, we're all set for a hell of a movie if the stars align correctly. I'm looking forward to it, actually.