Spike Lee In Talks To Direct The OLDBOY Remake?

The Amazing Psycho Per

The Amazing Psycho Per

A remake of Oldboy by Steven Spielberg and starring Will Smith? Yes, those are the rumours.

There is noooo way Spielberg is making a decent Oldboy... Nooooooooo way. It's 100% sure that all the incest element is out. The violence will be tone down. The only thing that will be left is the vengeance element with the 15 years imprisonnment. Then Will Smith will get out, accomplish his vengeance and live happily ever after. And we'll be left with a nice PG-13 family friendly Oldboy.

Sorry but I think I'm gonna throw up...:(

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OpiumKungFuCracker

• AlbertV

• TibetanWhiteCrane

• reason108

Hopefully it will be a very very loose adaptation. I don't know, I think Will Smith atleast could pull the part off as long as it's not TOO much like the original Oldboy.

A remake of Oldboy by Steven Spielberg and starring Will Smith? Yes, those are the rumours.

There is noooo way Spielberg is making a decent Oldboy... Nooooooooo way. It's 100% sure that all the incest element is out. The violence will be tone down. The only thing that will be left is the vengeance element with the 15 years imprisonnment. Then Will Smith will get out, accomplish his vengeance and live happily ever after. And we'll be left with a nice PG-13 family friendly Oldboy.

Sorry but I think I'm gonna throw up...:(

I agree 100%. What makes Spielberg think he will top the original? And as for Will Smith, I think the guy is one over paid SOB! :mad:

Will Smith isn't ove payed, his movies make a lot of money and he gets a fraction of what they make. I also don't know why they are remaking this movie, and I may be in the minority here but I didn't think this was a great movie. Good yes, great no.

I think Oldboy is simply a classic. I remember a while back, Justin Lin was going to direct it, but opted not to because he said the only way he would do it is to do it EXACTLY like the original. Another rumor was that John Cusack and Russell Crowe were going to be in it, but that was out of the rumor mill.

Spielberg and Smith??? Well, I'll take 1/2 of that...Smith has had his share of serious roles (Six Degrees of Seperation) and this would be his most challenging roles should the rumor be true, but I can't see Spielberg doing it. I'd rather see perhaps Park Chan-Wook doing this or someone who can under its aspect and make it similar to the original.

prometheus126

No, No, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so sick and tired of hollywood constantly remaking asian movies and totally ruining them!! this is so stupid and pointless and a showing of the egotism of hollywood. they see a fantastic film and instead of showing the film in theatres as it originally is, they remake it and make it shitty! also, it's unbelievably racist!! when steven speilberg saw oh dea-su, where did he think "will smith!! that's the guy!!" why not an asian actor!?!? I wouldn't make a big deal on that subject if only hollywood hadn't put white people in japan for their grudge remake or decided a white guy was perfect for goku for the dragon ball movie. a white guy or a black guy is perfectly fine in a starring role and maybe a latino if in the right role, but an ASIAN!?!?!?! forget about it!!!

Well, I found out that Will Smith is actually planning to adapt the original manga and not the Park Chan-Wook version. Park took the manga version and upped the ante with the chaos that inflicted. Smith says he wants to use the original manga as the source for his version and is currently trying to tap the writer of I AM LEGEND to write the script.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Personally I love EARLY Spielberg! Duel,Jaws, Close Encounters, Indy series, E.T., Poltergeist (Yeah right... Tobe Hooper directed this... sure he did)!

And he helped produce some of the most memorable 80's movies, like Gremlins, Goonies, Back to the Future etc. But when he started making bleak, politically correct 3 hour movies, and Tom 'psycho' Cruise flicks, I got off the train! Yes, he wanted to direct more personal and mature films, but I just think he lost his way, in his quest for oscar recognition!

And if these rumours are true, then he has totally lost it!

Otherwise they're going to make the "pussy" version of this movie, I knew they didn't have the balls to do it right, what's the point.

Right! They should leave asian films alone! If anything, when a good asian flick is released in the east, Hollywood should get off thier ass and support them so we can enjoy them on the big screen as oppose to a freak'n watered down remake.

If anything, when a good asian flick is released in the east, Hollywood should get off thier ass and support them so we can enjoy them on the big screen as oppose to a freak'n watered down remake.
And how would that help Hollywood's dominance? They've got a good thing going; they aren't going to start supporting other film industries.

Anyways, there was already a remake of Oldboy: Zinda [spoilers]. It was pretty bad, but parts of it made more sense than the IMO overhyped Oldboy.

drunkenmaster

Bring it on. If it turns out to be half way decent or if it turns out to be risible crap it isn't going to cost me anything. "Oldboy" is a powerful film, but it does deviate from the original Manga. I really can't imagine Hollywood treating it any better.

OLDBOY fans rejoice...this just in from Dark Horizons:

The planned Hollywood remake of Chan-wook Park's acclaimed cult Korean revenge thriller "Oldboy" has been killed off reports Latino Review.

According to the site, DreamWorks and Mandate were in the process of obtaining the rights to the original Japanese manga on which the film was going to be based. However the companies couldn't come to an agreement and DreamWorks has walked away.

As a result the two parties attached to the project, Steven Spielberg and Will Smith, are no longer involved.

Did'nt The iIdians already re make this ?

Don't wirte Speilberg off, he's one of the greatest directors of all time, he excells at violence Sugerland Express, jaws, Shindlers list, Saving Private ryan, Munich. he is a master at suspense too, Jaws, Duel . so he might craft a good re make of old boy.

Not so keen on Will Smith very light wieght actor IMO,

If you meant Indians, yes, there is a Hindi remake of the film, called ZINDA. Veteran Sanjay Dutt plays the kidnapee and John Abraham is the kidnapper. For obvious reasons the whole incest twist was taken out and instead of a hammer, Dutt wields a katana against multiple attackers.

doug maverick
Did'nt The iIdians already re make this ?

Don't wirte Speilberg off, he's one of the greatest directors of all time, he excells at violence Sugerland Express, jaws, Shindlers list, Saving Private ryan, Munich. he is a master at suspense too, Jaws, Duel . so he might craft a good re make of old boy.

Not so keen on Will Smith very light wieght actor IMO,

speilberg is a fucking master filmmaker a master....that being said i doubt he would have explored the incest part of this film that makes it the masterpeice it is...i def know will smiths people wouldnt let him sign on for it, despite the fact that move would get him the oscar he's been chasing for so long. but he is considered "wholesome" white folk in the bible belt love him and this film would turn them against him. so i know they wouldnt have gone that way. plus speilberg wants the most people to see his film, so he wouldn have gone for pg 13, instead of R. i mean alot could be done with pg 13(dark knight). so im glad he didnt do it. do i think this should be remade, i would like to see it if its done well. michael mann,paul mcquigan, or my personal pick darren aronofsky would do an amazing job with the material. as for stars, johnny depp/matt damon/hugh jackmen...and a few others could pull this off very well. shit wesley snipes would be really good in it now that i think about it.

doug maverick

no will smith, the second highest grossing movie star of all time...and actually the movie is not happening....and oldboy is not the name of the character its the name of the school.

Total Film has given us an update on the Oldboy remake

Mark Protosevich, who wrote I AM LEGEND, has handed in a script for the remake. The stuid said if Spielberg will opt not to do it, two more names have come from the studio's wish list of directors:

Matthew Vaughn (KICK ASS) and Danny Boyle (28 DAYS LATER).

Wow, this is all kind of old news. In general, until it is either printed in Variety or IMDB (which pretty much just fills in what is printed in Variety) as being "In Production," don't worry about it!

Which is why I keep a nervous eye on the IMDB Cowboy Bebop live action listing, worried Keanu Reeves' name will pop up!