Who here loves SNAKE & CRANE ARTS OF SHAOLIN?

Killer Meteor

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terrific movie. Ironically the last old school Jackie movie that I seen. Couldn't find it anywhere and finally tracked it down in the mid nineties.

You're not even out the opening credits and you know it's going to be special. Some of Jackie's close quarter combat is awesome. Wing Chun City.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Saw SCAS in 1983 at the Pagota Theater Boston, Massachusetts.

Loved it. One of my favorite classic era Jacky Chan movies..

The swearing routine was a real galdarn dagnabbit sunsofogun riot. LOL! :tongue::bigsmile::xd::wink::squigglemouth:

The beginning spear work during the opening credits was superb.

I gave this one an 9.9 in the day.

GD Y-Y :

Killer Meteor

What's unusual about this is the opening credits is all about Jackie doing weapons work, not snake and crane. Then, throughout the film, characters mention the Dragon Spear but we never see it!

What's unusual about this is the opening credits is all about Jackie doing weapons work, not snake and crane. Then, throughout the film, characters mention the Dragon Spear but we never see it!

Maybe it was shot, and cut from the film? Happens all the time.

:ooh:

jackie shows this true range of martial skill in this movie

Yeah, pre-Sell-Out Jackie showed lots of potential. Don't know what the Lo Wei was doing...

SNAKE & CRANE is probably, ironically enough, the closest Jackie ever came to being like Bruce Lee. All the way through the film, he wipes the stuffing out of all and sundry, and its obvious the only time he gets wounded is because he knew Nora Miao was going to nurse him.

This was the fifth film Jackie made for Lo Wei, yet it was the first one where Jackie is finally allowed to show his stuff. All the way through the others, Jackie is beaten repeatedy by other characters.

He was talented enough to fill the celluloid void created by Lee's departure, it's just sad all the producers were looking to copy Lee. Yuen Wooo Ping had the right idea in how to utilize these talents.

Killer Meteor
Yeah, pre-Sell-Out Jackie showed lots of potential. Don't know what the Lo Wei was doing...

He was talented enough to fill the celluloid void created by Lee's departure, it's just sad all the producers were looking to copy Lee. Yuen Wooo Ping had the right idea in how to utilize these talents.

To give Lo Wei credit, he didn't milk the Jackie-Bruce thing that much. New Fist Of Fury is a sequel to a Bruce Lee film, but Jackie's character is basically comical. When that underperformed, Lo dropped the Bruce angle and tried Jackie in Shaolin films and Wu Xia mysteries. Even Spiritual Kung Fu looks to be an attempt to get Jackie into the comical kung fu genre that had started up in 1976 - note the prescence of Dean Shek.

masterofoneinchpunch
To give Lo Wei credit, he didn't milk the Jackie-Bruce thing that much. New Fist Of Fury is a sequel to a Bruce Lee film, but Jackie's character is basically comical. When that underperformed, Lo dropped the Bruce angle and tried Jackie in Shaolin films and Wu Xia mysteries. Even Spiritual Kung Fu looks to be an attempt to get Jackie into the comical kung fu genre that had started up in 1976 - note the prescence of Dean Shek.

Well Spiritual Kung Fu is more of Lo's attempt to make a funnier Half a Loaf of Kung Fu which Lo suppressed until 1980 after not liking what JC did with Chen Chi-Hwa.

Killer Meteor
Well Spiritual Kung Fu is more of Lo's attempt to make a funnier Half a Loaf of Kung Fu which Lo suppressed until 1980 after not liking what JC did with Chen Chi-Hwa.

I'm surprised it took Lo so long to release it, considering everyone was Jackie mad.

I wonder if it was a serious script that Jackie and Chen messed with? The actual plot isn't that hilarious, it's just they put a different joke in each scene.

masterofoneinchpunch
I'm surprised it took Lo so long to release it, considering everyone was Jackie mad.

I wonder if it was a serious script that Jackie and Chen messed with? The actual plot isn't that hilarious, it's just they put a different joke in each scene.

I wonder if there was a script.

For Lo Wei I know he had fund issues which delayed the release of Spiritual Kung Fu and with his ego he wasn't going to release HALOKF at that time. Then he lost JC to Golden Harvest, was trying to persuade him to come back (hee hee persuade) and had to make money in the meantime. That is at least how I think it went.

Killer Meteor
I wonder if there was a script.

For Lo Wei I know he had fund issues which delayed the release of Spiritual Kung Fu and with his ego he wasn't going to release HALOKF at that time. Then he lost JC to Golden Harvest, was trying to persuade him to come back (hee hee persuade) and had to make money in the meantime. That is at least how I think it went.

Yeah, that sums it up.

I think Spiritual Kung Fu is a lot funnier than Half A Loaf

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I DO with capitals.

I first saw this movie at the Pagota Theater in the early 1980's and was thoroughly blown away by every aspect of the film.

I think this is by far my favorite Jackie Chan classic kung fu era film.

GD Y-Y

Archived