Who here loves SNAKE & CRANE ARTS OF SHAOLIN?

Killer Meteor

Killer Meteor

For me, this film has a special place in my heart as my first taste of bona fide old school kung fu (aside from the Bruce Lee films).

The stolen music, the truly bizzare dubbing, the mad supporting cast, Nora Miao in her underwear, far too many "but-stills", the weirdos with baskets on their heads, the dance-like kung fu...all so unique and unusual to me that first time nine years ago.

Did I mention Nora Miao in her underwear? Lovely!!!!!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch

I liked it. Here is a review I did of it several years ago:

Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin is mostly known for being a transitional movie for Jackie. He did not play the grim Bruce Lee archetype that Lo Wei tried to mold in him, but was the start of a comedic and lighter hero for Chan. Snake and Crane was a box office failure in Hong Kong, but it got Jackie recognition in Hong Kong. It also showcased his increased intricate and atypical fight choreography with an increase of humor and props.

There is really much to like in this film. Chen Chi-hwa (Half a Loaf of Kung Fu) did an excellent job of direction with beautiful wide-screen shots of gorgeous scenery and elaborate placement of camera position. I wish he directed more films. Jackie's choreographed fight scenes are also very good. Like many of the martial art films of this time, the plot is the rub. Though I did like the first half of the plot.

The film starts with Jackie displaying his various knowledge of weapons including the spear (I cannot believe they lifted music from Monty Python and the Holy Grail for this scene.) The aerobatic display that Chan does (along with others) is far superior to any martial art action done later in the film.

Jackie stars as Su Yin Fong, a sarcastic and most excellent Kung Fu practitioner who has possession of the book "The Eight Steps of the Snake and Crane." A manual of techniques that was thought, along with the Dragon Spear, to be in the possession of Master Lin. It was created and collaborated by eight masters of Shaolin who mysteriously vanished. Or did they? Being in possession of such a prize and openly flaunting it, Su finds himself the target of many ruffians. He is jumped by the Ting Brothers while fishing. He is attacked by the Wu Tang Clan while eating. Later he is attacked by various members of the Black Dragon Clan, Beggar Clan and the Flying Tiger Clan. His only ally is Fong Sie Pin of the Ere May Clan who killed Lady Suon and her minion after Jackie Chan had already defeated them.

Su is also looking for a shoulder-scarred man. He will not let anything stop him from this goal. This includes advances from Tang Pin Nhur (Nora Miao) and her offering of a treasured golden peacock! Now that is a lot of fortitude (or else he is eunuch.) Nora actually has some decent fight scenes in this film. But the plot winds down with too many obvious turns (like who the shoulder-scarred man is and what happened to the Shaolin monks.)

I do feel like this film is worth watching. In addition to the beautiful photography and the actors I have mentioned there are great characters like Lu Lo Qui (with his cursing match against Su), Hong Tu (Gam Ching Lan) who is a pretty petite female pretending to be a male, and Chien Tse (Kam Kong.) If only the plot was stronger (and possibly Lo Wei had less influence on the story) then this film would be mentioned more often and I could create a more cohesive critique. But for historical purposes it will always have its place as a transitional movie in Jackie Chan's illustrious career.

masterofoneinchpunch
I do, I do! Love his choreography in this. And you're correct in that some of the English dub dialogue comes across quite funny. Here's a review I did as well. You'll have to scroll down to the bottom part of the 3rd post.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12252

I gave this a 7/10 (***/****) which is a thumbs up. I give the highest rating on the HKMDB reviews :D. I just don't see 5/10. It has too much going for it.

Yeah I love some of those lines like "I have this bad habit. I like to fight people who fight well."

Though technically when the film was made JC was not a box office draw. Interesting that it seemed it was released a week after the surprise hit SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW. Chen Chi-Hwa was really easier for Jackie to work with than Lo Wei.

David Rees

"The film starts with Jackie displaying his various knowledge of weapons including the spear (I cannot believe they lifted music from Monty Python and the Holy Grail for this scene.) The aerobatic display that Chan does (along with others) is far superior to any martial art action done later in the film. "

I love that opening too, the film just cant top it after that.

The Music was from the De Wolfe library, and was used in Monty Python because the original score done for Holy Grail was thought to be far too serious! :tongue:

ShaOW!linDude

Yeah I love some of those lines like "I have this bad habit. I like to fight people who fight well."

Don't you wish that still held true today?:tongue: (That was mean. I'm sorry.)

I miss opening sequences in movies such as this one and many others from the 70's. Such great showcases of a particular style or weapon. Don't make 'em like they used to, that's for sure. I just thought the spear Jackie used in that would play an integral part at some point in the film. No big whoop though.

masterofoneinchpunch
"The film starts with Jackie displaying his various knowledge of weapons including the spear (I cannot believe they lifted music from Monty Python and the Holy Grail for this scene.) The aerobatic display that Chan does (along with others) is far superior to any martial art action done later in the film. "

The Music was from the De Wolfe library, and was used in Monty Python because the original score done for Holy Grail was thought to be far too serious! :tongue:

I'm a huge Monty Python fan, probably not appropriate for this bloomin thread, but that film especially I have seen countless times (as well as I've seen the whole TV series as well). Thanks for the De Wolfe mention, but it sounds so hilarious in the film (OK not as bad I mean good as when The Pink Panther them from Mancini was used in The Fearless Hyena).

Don't you wish that still held true today?:tongue: (That was mean. I'm sorry.)

I miss opening sequences in movies such as this one and many others from the 70's. Such great showcases of a particular style or weapon. Don't make 'em like they used to, that's for sure. I just thought the spear Jackie used in that would play an integral part at some point in the film. No big whoop though.

Some of those openings are absoutely awesome so yes I miss them (has any new film used this type of opening obviously as a homage?) I like when they incorporate a pause/burst effect (David Bordwell talks about this pattern in his book Planet Hong Kong though not per say with the opening). There is something just aesthetically pleasing when the openings are done right. Many times the opening seems like a martial arts version of a overture.

ShaOW!linDude
There is something just aesthetically pleasing when the openings are done right. Many times the opening seems like a martial arts version of a overture.

What a perfectly expressed sentiment! I love that. You are absolutely correct, sir.

Killer Meteor

SNAKE & CRANE is probably, ironically enough, the closest Jackie ever came to being like Bruce Lee. All the way through the film, he wipes the stuffing out of all and sundry, and its obvious the only time he gets wounded is because he knew Nora Miao was going to nurse him.

This was the fifth film Jackie made for Lo Wei, yet it was the first one where Jackie is finally allowed to show his stuff. All the way through the others, Jackie is beaten repeatedy by other characters.

masterofoneinchpunch
What a perfectly expressed sentiment! I love that. You are absolutely correct, sir.

Thanks. I was thinking what films had the worst intros :D. These intros work best (of course) when the actors have a MA background so it makes perfect sense that they would see their heyday in the 70s. It's always cool to see certain filming trends or fads over the years. Here's are some questions: what was the first film to do that? Was their a foreign influence to that type of opening?

SNAKE & CRANE is probably, ironically enough, the closest Jackie ever came to being like Bruce Lee. All the way through the film, he wipes the stuffing out of all and sundry, and its obvious the only time he gets wounded is because he knew Nora Miao was going to nurse him.

This was the fifth film Jackie made for Lo Wei, yet it was the first one where Jackie is finally allowed to show his stuff. All the way through the others, Jackie is beaten repeatedy by other characters.

Well I think that is because of Chen Chi-hwa and the fact Lo Wei was thinking that JC was a failure by then (for box office) and didn't want to direct (insert joke of what Lo was actually doing during his "directing" projects). Heck I even liked the Chen helmed Half a Loaf of Kung Fu!, I'm one of the few apparently as my reviews on that film have gotten negative feedback at Amazon and IMDB :D.

ShaOW!linDude
Here's are some questions: what was the first film to do that? Was their a foreign influence to that type of opening?

You stumped me. What?

And I like HALF A LOAF OF KUNG FU, too.

presicion25

Never seen the English dub. Mine is the Widescreen w/English Subtitles version. It look great, really clean print. Jackie's Lo Wei films are pretty good.

daisho2004

Great Movie! I would love to see all JC's classic Kung-Fu movies get a remastered BR release.

masterofoneinchpunch
You stumped me. What?

And I like HALF A LOAF OF KUNG FU, too.

Actually I was just wondering myself :D I always find cinematic trends interesting.

HALF A LOAR OF KUNG FU was one of those films where I had to watch several times just to make sure I had the same feelings about it in subsequent viewings. Sure it is broad, very broad but it does contain, in my opinion, a fun enough atmosphere.

Now I must show off my "One Finger Stops Mountain" technique.

ShaOW!linDude
Now I must show off my "One Finger Stops Mountain" technique.

I counter with "The Concubine".:tongue:

muppetdanny

The music you are referring is called is "Ice Floe 9". I think the music has been in "Five Deadly Venoms".

Good movie.

I've always wondered though, is it just me or does the Mandarin track sound high-pitched? Jackie's voice has always sounded odd in this movie, like he's a kid or something.

Kennedy Il Sung
Good movie.

I've always wondered though, is it just me or does the Mandarin track sound high-pitched? Jackie's voice has always sounded odd in this movie, like he's a kid or something.

Yes! Jackie's voice is annoying, at first I thought maybe my DVD was defective. I have to give this one another watch with the Eng dub on.

Killer Meteor
Yes! Jackie's voice is annoying, at first I thought maybe my DVD was defective. I have to give this one another watch with the Eng dub on.

The Columbia? I think its just the way the optical track has aged. And Jackie was dubbed to begin with. What's more of a problem is that the track goes out of sync badly, due to the Mandarin track not fitting the English print.

For me, this film has a special place in my heart as my first taste of bona fide old school kung fu (aside from the Bruce Lee films).

The stolen music, the truly bizzare dubbing, the mad supporting cast, Nora Miao in her underwear, far too many "but-stills", the weirdos with baskets on their heads, the dance-like kung fu...all so unique and unusual to me that first time nine years ago.

Did I mention Nora Miao in her underwear? Lovely!!!!!

Terrific movie and my favourite of the Lo Wei period, followed by Dragon Fist.

"First you want the book and now my money! Damn ye!"

Quality chat:bigsmile:

Kennedy Il Sung
The Columbia? I think its just the way the optical track has aged. And Jackie was dubbed to begin with. What's more of a problem is that the track goes out of sync badly, due to the Mandarin track not fitting the English print.

No I have the HKL version, and I knew Jackie's voice is dubbed here, it was just that the voice was so high pitched.

I thought my disc was bad too, but I guess that's how it is...all the voices are high-pitched actually, but the sound effects seem fine.

I'd love to hear a Cantonese dub out there.

I watched this movie for the first time tonight and really enjoyed it. It showed Jackie Chan doing what he does best, at least when he was younger and was a joy to watch. I must admit it was a shame the finale wasn't better really needing better opposition, which sadly felt lacking to me. And when Jackie was not on-screen (like in similar time period movies of his – I'm thinking New Fist of Fury off the top of my head) the supporting actors were somewhat lacking by comparison.

I gave up on the original Mandarin language soon after hearing Jackie Chan speak because Jackie sounded just completely wrong to me, watching the film from that point with English dubbing. Overall it didn't detract too badly in my opinion.

There were parts where I could see the advantages of having their own stunt team, which Jackie had in later years and was able to fight with a faster rhythm, making the fights look somewhat better. I know at one point my mind started drifting thinking if only Jackie, Sammo and Yuen Biao could have teamed up with the Venoms! During the late 70s and early 80s that really could have been one of the all-time greats had it been produced, assuming all egos could have been put aside.

Archived