LOST IN LA MANCHA - Terry Gilliam's nightmare!

Guest gimpusmons

Guest gimpusmons

lm_qclos.jpg

I just saw LOST IN LA MANCHA, a documentary on the failure of director Terry Gilliam's most recent film, an adaptation of DON QUIXOTE. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys Gilliam's quirky films including MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL, BRAZIL, and 12 MONKEYS.

The documentary follows the crew from a chaotic pre-production to a disastrous and short shoot in Spain plagued by fighter jets, flash floods, and the lead actor's health problems. All of these factors, plus the limited resources sank this film, leaving it in the hands of the insurance company. It's really a shame too as this could have been his greatest work yet (and it still may be if Gilliam manages to buy back the rights).

The documentary itself is quite entertaining and often humorous as it gives an inside glimpse into the world of filmmaking from one of the industry's brightest, most creative and most complex filmmakers. I highly recommend it.

[ Official Site ]

Mark

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest GaySerialKiller

I saw this at the Toronto Film Fest and loved it. It would make a great double bill with another great documentary called "American Movie".

Archived