The Crow (2024) Reboot

ShaOW!linDude

ShaOW!linDude

(I don't know if there's a thread for this already. I searched but I didn't find one.)

I've been hearing rumors and following snippets of the search for directors and lead actors for this for a year or so. Well, they've settled on one of each.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167651-alex-tse-takes-the-crow

Really?......Bradley Cooper for Eric Draven?........Really?

This is so wrong.

• Like 1

Ever since I read they would like to make Eic Draven a character that is "more relatable to everybody", I have been worried.

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

You're right. It didn't mention The Crow: Wicked Prayer starring Edward Furlong, Tara Reid, and David Boreanaz. Of course, it's sooooooooo bad, it really doesn't deserve a mention.

• Like 1

It may be a terrible movie, but it does deserve a mention since it is an official sequel.

It is just lazy journalism from whoever wrote that post. That is just the day and age we live in. That's why it is good to be discriminating and not believe everything your read or hear.

I left a comment on the post and the author got back to me saying he doesn't think highly of the film. Still, it deserved a mention since it is an official sequel and part of The Crow's history (and he start's the article by giving a brief history of the fanchise).

• Like 1

Hehehe first Bradley Cooper...now director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo has departed from the project!!!

Could this mean the potential reboot could be DEAD?! (Praying hard that the answer is YES)

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
Hehehe first Bradley Cooper...now director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo has departed from the project!!!

Could this mean the potential reboot could be DEAD?! (Praying hard that the answer is YES)

Amen and pass the gravy.

• Like 1

What do you guys think of The Crow soundtracks? They were all pretty good except for maybe the last one. Not sure they even released a soundtrack for the last film in the series.

• Like 1

masterofoneinchpunch

I have the first two soundtracks, but the first one (I'm suspecting you are talking about the music soundtracks and not the scores) is awesome with the NIN cover of Joy Division, Rollins Band's Ghostrider (saw him do this live in Santa Clara) and most of the songs.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm talking about the soundtracks, not the scores.

The soundtrack for the first film was very unique in that you didn't find many movies that had that type of music and they really worked hard to put together something different and hip. It seemed a lot of movies tried to do similar soundtracks after that (Tank Girl, Johnny Mnemonic, etc).

The Crow soundtrack was a hit largely due to the song Big Empty by Stone Temple Pilots. It was just before STP's second album (Big Empty is also on that album) and the only way you could get that song was by buying The Crow soundtrack. People wanted it because it was at the peak of STP's popularity and the unplugged performance of that song was on heavy rotation on MTV at that time.

As a side note, the song STP was going to do for the soundtrack was called Only Dying, but they scrapped it after the death of Brandon Lee and they never went back and recorded it later and the song only exists in rough demo form.

LzmMSod6uyY

VvH1SHAR3AM

• Like 1

The reboot almost was going to be dead due to a legal issue between The Weinstein Company and Relativity Media. They have settled the matter and will collaborate on the upcoming remake with original CROW producer Edward Pressman returning.

Dark Horizons announced that F. Javier Gutierrez will now be the director of the film, replacing the departed Juan Carlos Fresnadillo and Jesse Wigatow will be writing the script.

• Like 1

I'm of the opinion that the original Crow movie had the best soundtrack of any movie ever. I bought it on cassette tape in 1994 and it's the only tape I still own.

The Cure, STP, NIN, Pantera, Rollins Band, Rage, etc etc....sooooo good.

• Like 1

Rumors persisted that James McAvoy, Alexander Skarsgard and Tom Hiddleston would be up for the role of Eric Draven in the CROW reboot...well, Eric Draven will now be officially played by...

Fast and Furious 6's Luke Evans...full story at TotalFilm

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
What do you guys think of The Crow soundtracks?

I have the first two soundtracks, but the first one (I'm suspecting you are talking about the music soundtracks and not the scores) is awesome with the NIN cover of Joy Division, Rollins Band's Ghostrider (saw him do this live in Santa Clara) and most of the songs.

The first one is among the best soundtracks of all time. I still play it a lot after buying it 19 years ago.

The soundtrack for the first film was very unique in that you didn't find many movies that had that type of music and they really worked hard to put together something different and hip. It seemed a lot of movies tried to do similar soundtracks after that (Tank Girl, Johnny Mnemonic, etc).

Not an easy feat. But they nailed it.

As a side note, the song STP was going to do for the soundtrack was called Only Dying, but they scrapped it after the death of Brandon Lee and they never went back and recorded it later and the song only exists in rough demo form.

I never knew that. Very interesting. Thanks for the links Travis.

Here is a link to some concept art of what Bradley Cooper would have looked like if he had taken the role of THE CROW:

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/27219

I think those look pretty cool. When I first heard he was being considered I wasn't thrilled with the casting idea, but after seeing this concept art... :nerd: But now he's out. Oh well. :squigglemouth:

I'm of the opinion that the original Crow movie had the best soundtrack of any movie ever. I bought it on cassette tape in 1994 and it's the only tape I still own.

The Cure, STP, NIN, Pantera, Rollins Band, Rage, etc etc....sooooo good.

Right on. Yeah, I played that tape into oblivion! I finally had to replace it with the CD. I have the soundtrack for the second film (barf!), which a friend gave to me, but I only listened to it once. I have to pull that disc out and give it a listen. Just because the film didn't do a goddamn thing for me doesn't mean the soundtrack isn't good.

Rumors persisted that James McAvoy, Alexander Skarsgard and Tom Hiddleston would be up for the role of Eric Draven in the CROW reboot...well, Eric Draven will now be officially played by...

Fast and Furious 6's Luke Evans...full story at TotalFilm

Was hoping for Hiddleston.

Of all of the proposed actors, Tom Hiddleston was the only one that I thought "Okay, yes!" about. If they are going to make it work, I think the film needs to stay pretty close to the comic. And in there Eric Draven was charasmatic enough to front a band, but was more of a regular guy in terms of physique, with a long, thin face and a haunted quality. I don't see that in Luke Evans, but I'll stay open-minded. Let's see what they do. Whatever happens, I'll always have Brandon's portrayal of THE CROW, which I usually watch about once a year around Halloween, and the classic original book by James O'Barr.

• Like 1

I've never actually read the comic, but I grew up watching the movie on VHS all the time. I could be wrong, but I think I've got a pretty good grip on who Eric is, and yeah, I totally agree - out of those guys, Hiddleston was the only guy I could really picture getting it right. Evans just seems too...I dunno...action hero-y.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I've never actually read the comic, but I grew up watching the movie on VHS all the time. I could be wrong, but I think I've got a pretty good grip on who Eric is, and yeah, I totally agree - out of those guys, Hiddleston was the only guy I could really picture getting it right. Evans just seems too...I dunno...action hero-y.

I agree. I thought the same thing. But I'll still check it out when/if it's released.

I highly recommend you check out the comic. You can find used copies on Amazon and eBay, and it's even available in a lot of librarys.

• Like 1

Update:

-Corin Hardy will direct the film after F. Javier Gutierrez left the project.

-Luke Evans was cast as Eric Draven but dropped out when Gutierrez left and the project was on a standstill.

The New Eric Draven is...Jack Huston of BOARDWALK EMPIRE. Crow creator James O'Barr, who is on the new reboot as consultant approved and made the confirmation of Huston's casting himself.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/36179/jack-huston-confirmed-as-the-crow

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Update:

-Colin Hardy will direct the film after F. Javier Gutierrez left the project.

-Luke Evans was cast as Eric Draven but dropped out when Gutierrez left and the project was on a standstill.

The New Eric Draven is...Jack Huston of BOARDWALK EMPIRE. Crow creator James O'Barr, who is on the new reboot as consultant approved and made the confirmation of Huston's casting himself.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/36179/jack-huston-confirmed-as-the-crow

Okay, Jack Huston was fantastic on BOARDWALK EMPIRE as "Richard", my favorite character on the show. This may work.:smile:

• Like 1