spaghetti western collection

Guest cabezon118

Guest cabezon118

anyone have this collection? run man run, django kill, mannaja--these any good?

django--this print better than anchor bay? uncut?

how's the quality of all?

info please!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got this, but haven't watched everything yet. I've only watched Django Kill so far, and pasted a review in below... I get kind of detailed so if you'd rather not know anything about the plot before you watch it, you can skip it and I'll just tell you that it's pretty cool and strange and worth getting. The quality on all of them is great and all of them look to be pretty good, just from the sneaky spot-checking I did. I haven't watched the new version of Django yet, but it's from the original camera negative. They have an apology for a few little wear-and-tear spots, but I watched the opening and saw a film line or two, and some slighty graininess in a few shots, but nothing bad at all... the letterboxing looks the same as Anchor Bay's and the picture quality is about the same. But the Anchor Bay version clocks in on the DVD counter at 1:30:26, while the new one clocks at 1:31:32... so it looks like the Blue Underground version has an extra minute of stuff in it! What it consisists of, I don't know, because I haven't seen it yet. One thing that's a definite plus, though, is that the Blue Underground version also has the Italian language track, and you can turn on English subtitles. Considering that one of the drawbacks of Django has always been dubbing (they gave Franco a pretty lame voice), it's good to be able to hear his real voice. So, it's worth snagging just for that! I'll put in more info about the other movies when I get a chance to watch 'em, but so far I'm happy with what I've seen, and the price is really good for the amount of stuff you get (I got mine from DVD Planet, and since they're affiliated with the people who put it out, it's probably the best price out there)... I'd definitely say go for it... :)

Django Kill... If You Live, Shoot! (C, 1967) aka Se sei vivo spara, Oro Hondo, Oro Maldito Infamous and legendary entry into the sequel-in-name-only series of films that came out in the wake of Corbucci's Django. This one was rarely seen and had levels of violence and weirdness that made it often whispered about. Turns out it was a case of too much hype, really, even though it is pretty violent and weird... just not that violent or weird. Some Indians who are looting some corpses they find in a mass grave discover that one of them isn't dead - a half-breed named Django (or at least that's what we'll call him, since his name is never mentioned in the movie, only the title). He'd been gunned down by some bandit companions who decided not to share their stolen gold with their Mexican partners and shot them instead. The guys who find Django (Tomas Milian, who was Chaco in Fulci's Four of the Apocalypse) heal him up and melt some gold down into bullets ? they'll work better than lead for taking revenge. They take him to a town called The Unhappy Place, where the murdering bandits have been massacred by the gold-hungry townspeople. Django shoots up the leader, but doesn't kill him. During bullet-removal surgery the townspeople find out the bullets are gold and they jam their fingers into his wounds trying to grab the rest of the bullets, which kills him. Django hangs around because the gold's still in town (the alderman and the saloonkeeper are hiding it from a local rancher and arguing about who gets a bigger share). The rancher and his black-clad, gay muchachos kidnap the saloon keeper's weirdo son (he likes to slash up his stepmother's clothes) and Django tries to help the kid escape, but the kid kills himself first. The gold gets hidden in his coffin and buried, and then the alderman kills his partner an framed Django, who gets help from the alderman's supposedly-insane wife who's been kept locked upstairs... but things don't go smoothly. Notorious for its violence, which isn't quite as widespread as rumored but is pretty strong, including graphic bullet-removals, a scalping, an exploding horse, and a few psychedelic editing techniques. Plus there's a lot of Christ imagery associated with Django and fascist imagery with the muchachos, just to take things to another level. Still pretty strong, strange stuff.

Guest cabezon118

zwolf1- thank you very much for the detailed response! i didn't want to buy a box set with quality in question. at the same time i didn't want to buy one by one either. now that i know the quality and at least one of the flicks is/are good, i will go ahead and take the chance. dvd planet is also one of my favorite places and i happen to be lucky enough to live within 10 miles of the superstore. think i'll go get it today. thanks again. i'll post thoughts on these as soon as i have some.

Guest cabezon118

got it a few days ago. after watching mannaja, glad i picked it up. the movie was very good, about a bounty hunter that wields and throws a hatchet with deadly accuracy. also has an eye torture scene that i am sure is the inspiration for a similar occurance in john woo's heroes shed no tears. the dvd is awesome quality, and has a few interesting extras, even though i'm not totally into "extras".

also watched run, man, run, which has a complete different flavor--seems almost more (dareisay) american in style. though i thoroughly enjoyed it, run man run just lacked the weirdness associated with most spaghetti westerns. also awesome quality and a few extras on this as well.

if you can, get this spaghetti western collection from blue underground. i highly recommend it! thanks again to zwolf1 for turning me onto it!

I still haven't watched Mannaja or Run Man Run yet, but thanks for the info... it's good to know that they're both good. I'm gonna have to get around to watching those pretty soon... :) And I'm glad I could help... woulda hated to steer anybody wrong! :)

Archived