ARC Entertainment's NEW R1 Shaw Brothers DVDs! 9/13!

mpm74

Chemical Lemon

That didn't happen for me either, but I think I know what he's talking about. there are 2 scenes, one at the beginning and one in the second half of the movie where Chen Ping is talking to Ling Yun (I think, it might be a scene with Tsung Hua though), and the camera zooms in too close, and it looks like it was cropped. It's that way on the IVL also though, and I can't imagine it was done because of damage because the 2 scenes (though shot together) were placed in opposite ends of the movie. I'm not sure why it's like that though, it really looks horrible, I hate to think it was by choice. Killer Clans always felt like they had cropped it a bit too much when they remastered it, so my guess is the scene was framed in such a way that the cropping that was done to the entire movie had a particularly bad affect on that shot. But I have to say Killer Clans looks way better on this disc than the IVL.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats precisely the parts that I was talking about Chemical Lemon.. zoomed in so much that their heads were literally half off screen..

It was just so starkly different in framing than the rest of the film..

Yoda, I had the same experience with my FYE. They didn't even have the first four titles in their listings of upcoming arrivals. In fact, they couldn't even tell me if they would ever get it in stock (ordered from Amazon)! When i went back the other day, they still hadn't received them, and this FYE branch has always had a very nice selection of martial arts films in stock. Oh well...I ordered from Amazon again for the second batch of four and watched "The Avenging Eagle" last night. Fantastic quality picture and it does appear that the deleted fight scene from the Celestial print has been reinserted.

Sometime after watching the DVD I remembered all the hulabaloo over this film missing a fight scene sooo...I went over to Youtube to check out if somebody posted the excised scene, which they did, and it does match what I saw on the disc, albeit in much better picture quality. Also, the film time listed for this new release is 91 minutes. I haven't seen anything online or in print to suggest otherwise - whether it's an edited-down movie or not. Besides, edited or not, it appears that, unless somebody comes out with a super-duper-ultimate-unrated-director's cut-limited edition version of this movie with long-lost-recently-discovered-new footage-discovered-in-somebody's-attic, this will be as good as it gets for this movie. I'm pretty happy to be able to finally dump my old Gound Zero copy.

OK MY BAD!! Upon rewatching that particular scene today I see that it IS missing PART of the fight scene - the DVD shows Fu Sheng knocking the stairs out from under Ko Feng, who does a slow-mo flip and then cuts to him standing stock still adjusting his queue with Fu Sheng and Ti Lung opposite him. The extended scene which they didn't include (I thought they did) show Fu Sheng fighting Ko Feng and getting some nasty cuts in the process as well as being whipped by Ko Feng's queue. Sorry about that, the cut scene seemed to match what I saw on the DVD. I guess I was wishing so hard for that fight scene to be included that my aging (I'm 47) mind played a trick on me. Oh well...I guess we'll have to wait for that super-duper-ultimate-unrated-director's cut-limited edition version of this movie with long-lost-recently-discovered-new footage-discovered-in-somebody's-attic after all:) Still worth watching, after all.

and this FYE branch has always had a very nice selection of martial arts films in stock.

Exactly, they have a lot of DD releases, but no new stuff. Oh well, my stuff is coming.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
OK MY BAD!! Upon rewatching that particular scene today I see that it IS missing PART of the fight scene - the DVD shows Fu Sheng knocking the stairs out from under Ko Feng, who does a slow-mo flip and then cuts to him standing stock still adjusting his queue with Fu Sheng and Ti Lung opposite him. The extended scene which they didn't include (I thought they did) show Fu Sheng fighting Ko Feng and getting some nasty cuts in the process as well as being whipped by Ko Feng's queue. Sorry about that, the cut scene seemed to match what I saw on the DVD. I guess I was wishing so hard for that fight scene to be included that my aging (I'm 47) mind played a trick on me. Oh well...I guess we'll have to wait for that super-duper-ultimate-unrated-director's cut-limited edition version of this movie with long-lost-recently-discovered-new footage-discovered-in-somebody's-attic after all:) Still worth watching, after all.

Nah. It's just so quick and unimportant it's hard to notice. Of course everyone would love a complete version of Avenging Eagle, but I have to say, DD's release is an excellent improvement on the old GZ print I've been watching for years now.

First off Gravedigger, the disc for "Avenging Eagle" looks fantastic. A vast improvement over my old Ground Zero Platinum Edition. I watched it on my laptop and both the clarity and color (especially the colors by the different eagle assasins) pop right out at you. The disc for "Golden Swallow" is great. I don't have an earlier version to compare it to. I did notice softness at two points in the film but it isn't a distraction - it was probably there from the beginning.

Finally got ahold of the other 3 yesterday... the new Avenging Eagle cover is a nice improvement from the one on Amazon that had "Hybrid Asian Man" :tongue: Haven't had a chance to pop them in yet though, but everything else sounds pretty positive.

The Silver Fox

Avenging Eagle looks and sounds great. I'm so glad they fixed the cover as well. The picture seems sharper and crisper than the IVL. I also picked up Killer Clans which seems pretty much the same as the IVL.

DAMN IT! I just checked all four DVDs and when I got to Blood Brothers... like DD's release of Martial Arts of Shaolin, it's a damn PAL-to-NTSC interlaced transfer :sad:

Thankfully, the other three are solid 24p NTSC transfers as is what used to be the norm for DD's Shaw Bros releases. So, what, now with every batch there's going to be one PAL-to-NTSC interlaced transfer? Hell, the next "batch" is only made up of the two Flying Guillotine films. Don't know what to expect now :squigglemouth:

I mean, it's only 2 out of the 21 they've released... but still, until Martial Arts of Shaolin, they were flawless in regards to having proper NTSC transfers. Why the sudden hiccups with the transfers?

DAMN IT! I just checked all four DVDs and when I got to Blood Brothers... like DD's release of Martial Arts of Shaolin, it's a damn PAL-to-NTSC interlaced transfer :sad:

Thankfully, the other three are solid 24p NTSC transfers as is what used to be the norm for DD's Shaw Bros releases. So, what, now with every batch there's going to be one PAL-to-NTSC interlaced transfer? Hell, the next "batch" is only made up of the two Flying Guillotine films. Don't know what to expect now :squigglemouth:

I mean, it's only 2 out of the 21 they've released... but still, until Martial Arts of Shaolin, they were flawless in regards to having proper NTSC transfers. Why the sudden hiccups with the transfers?

MARTIAL ARTS OF SHAOLIN used to appear on early DD collection montages and it was PAL-NTSC then.

MARTIAL ARTS OF SHAOLIN used to appear on early DD collection montages and it was PAL-NTSC then.

Odd... wonder if there was some issue with some of the HD transfers. But still, even if they had an SD PAL transfer to work with, they could still convert it to NTSC. Ugh...

the R3 of G Swallow has the SAME artifacting during the opening credits as does the R1.

So it's an identical disc? Or is this just damage to the print?

masterofoneinchpunch

The artifacting in the opening of Golden Swallow seems only to be with the blackened areas, but it is noticable. I've seen this with some prints on other films so I'm wondering what is wrong with the process unless the film elements had this issue. I can take a snapshot tomorrow if anyone is interested. The conversion looks fine but I'm watching it on an old CRT (though some of the Image releases and the early Funimation releases the bad conversions are quite noticeable).

I've noticed it on a wide variety of releases. One that comes to mind is The Secret of the Urn; both the French disc and the Animeigo had some nasty artifacing going on in deep blacks. I haven't been too happy with the last couple Animeigo things I've seen, but that's another thread. In any event, if we're talking about the same thing then this is definitely an encoding issue; perhaps DD only did the heavy lifting on a couple of the new discs and just ported the transfers from Celestial on others?

Flying Guillotine 1 and 2 just arrived!

Stereo Mandarin and English

Not had a chance to watch yet though...

U r in for treat then...I think they are almost equal, part 1 more interesting storyline but not so much action. Part 2 has one of best end fights ever, energy is tremendous.

Archived