ARC Entertainment's NEW R1 Shaw Brothers DVDs! 9/13!

mpm74

If you have an original Xbox, you can mod it and make it region free, plus play dvds stored on the hard drive (I think) using XBMC. It'll play all divx, xvid, whatever files as long as they're not HD, too. Pretty useful.

Good call.. I forgot about my modded xbox I already have. I will have to give it a go and see if they work!

Also, to answer the other poster. I had to save up for my ps3 :xd:

Hope these discs will work, I have xbmc already.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's also multi region dvd player apps available for the Xbox, can't remember the names. Some of them are free and should be online, I think. OR you could rip the dvds onto your pc using DVD Decrypter, dump them on your Xbox hard drive and watch with XBMC. DVD Decrypter would remove the region code.

Finally, you could stream the films off your computer to your X360 or PS3, there's various ways to do that, but I don't know if playing subs is a problem.

There's also multi region dvd player apps available for the Xbox, can't remember the names. Some of them are free and should be online, I think. OR you could rip the dvds onto your pc using DVD Decrypter, dump them on your Xbox hard drive and watch with XBMC. DVD Decrypter would remove the region code.

Finally, you could stream the films off your computer to your X360 or PS3, there's various ways to do that, but I don't know if playing subs is a problem.

Hey, are you phoenix77 at the other place??

Have you guys seen the artwork on the Dragon Dynasty release of Avenging Eagle? I know that's not Fu Sing!

{Edit: Just went back a few notches in the thread & saw that someone mentioned it already}

If it has the same cut as the IVL then I guess I'll stick with that version.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056OZI0M/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=dailygrind-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B0056OZI0M

Guest Markgway
IBlood brothers is interlaced.

Yikes. Glad I've got that progressive German DVD.

Killer clans is Progressive.

Nice. To confirm: Does it offer Mandarin mono?

masterofoneinchpunch
Does anyone know if any of the titles in this latest wave are being sold at Walmart?

Funny I looked yesterday and saw all four of the previous wave there, but none of the new ones in our biggest Walmart in Modesto (our small one does not have any).

I hadn't picked up many of the DD releases for a while - mostly because I had a lot of the IVLs. I picked up Golden Swallow and I was really disappointed - the video quality is really poor compared to past DD releases. All kinds of digital artifacts, especially in the opening sequence.

I guess it's better than nothing but the quality of earlier DD releases (One Armed Swordsman, etc) is long gone.

I hadn't picked up many of the DD releases for a while - mostly because I had a lot of the IVLs. I picked up Golden Swallow and I was really disappointed - the video quality is really poor compared to past DD releases. All kinds of digital artifacts, especially in the opening sequence.

I guess it's better than nothing but the quality of earlier DD releases (One Armed Swordsman, etc) is long gone.

Can you describe the artifacts, or post some screencaps? Thanks!

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
Have you guys seen the artwork on the Dragon Dynasty release of Avenging Eagle? I know that's not Fu Sing!

{Edit: Just went back a few notches in the thread & saw that someone mentioned it already}

If it has the same cut as the IVL then I guess I'll stick with that version.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056OZI0M/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=dailygrind-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B0056OZI0M

Great news at least they've put Fu Sheng on the DVD cover instead of that goon you see on amazon's cover photo. I've just received Killer Clan and Avenging Eagle today. I'm very happy they'd corrected the cover artwork for Avenging Eagle. I'll be checking it out this weekend. I put of red sun's boot version, so I can't wait to see DD's release in english dub.

I'll probably end up at Wal-Mart this Friday night (seems to be the norm with my gf, when we hang out in my home town :tongue:), so I'll check and see if the latest wave has come in.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Just watched Killer Clans in english dubs. Awesome! Old school dubs from the crew who did One Armed Swordsmen. I wish they'd remaster the english dub audio as well as they do the mandarin audio, but it's still the best version your gonna find, great release. Didn't even know there was an english dub to this film until this release. Dragon Dynasty served us very well with this release.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Just watched Avenging Eagle last night! I must say I am completely blown away with how well they remastered the english dub audio. I watched with a nice pair of studio headphones. It's without question one of the best quality english dubs to have been released in these recent releases and deservedly so. I had such misgivings about this release when I saw the cover art on amazon, but what a pleasent surprise, such attention to the sound quality on one of my favorite Shaws films.

They seem to have gotten them a week late, but Walmart does indeed have this latest bunch. Nine bucks each, just like the last wave.

Nice! I'll definitely have to pick some up tonight :bigsmile:

Edit: Well, make that pick up ONE tonight. Went to my local Wal Mart, and while they had the labels for all four, they only had Golden Swallow. Of course, I was dumb enough to ask someone, only to get the usual "if it ain't on the shelves, we don't have it" remark. Well, I'll be near another Wal Mart tomorrow, so I'll see what they may have.

Just watched "killer clans"..a bit disappointed. No great fight scenes and story a bit of nothingness.

Strange thing though.. there were 2 scenes in the middle of the new letterbox, celestial/DD dvd that suddenly went full screen (extremely! just like old skool tapes used to be!) and bad quality... were they re-inserted , previously missing or something? :ooh:

Nice! I'll definitely have to pick some up tonight :bigsmile:

Edit: Well, make that pick up ONE tonight. Went to my local Wal Mart, and while they had the labels for all four, they only had Golden Swallow. Of course, I was dumb enough to ask someone, only to get the usual "if it ain't on the shelves, we don't have it" remark. Well, I'll be near another Wal Mart tomorrow, so I'll see what they may have.

Be lucky your Walmart even has these. Mine don't. I have to special order everything where I live now.

I also made the mistake of asking someone one time about Little Big Soldier. The guy just looked at me funny, "Little...Big Soldier??" he asked back. I know the title sounds kinda funny if you don't know what it's about, but still...

Then when I was at FYE and asked an associate about MAOS, they just looked in the exact same place where I looked and said, "Sorry." If I knew they were gonna do that I wouldn't have even bothered asking. Customer service much?

Guest Markgway
Just watched "killer clans"..a bit disappointed. No great fight scenes and story a bit of nothingness.Strange thing though.. there were 2 scenes in the middle of the new letterbox, celestial/DD dvd that suddenly went full screen (extremely! just like old skool tapes used to be!) and bad quality... were they re-inserted , previously missing or something? :ooh:

What?? How come this hasn't been mentioned before? :sad:

Archived