ARC Entertainment's NEW R1 Shaw Brothers DVDs! 9/13!

mpm74

Originally Posted by John

I'm devastated that I have to pay a premium for six times the resolution, uncompressed chroma, native film framerate, and lossless sound. Wait...nope. Not devastated.

Originally Posted by shaolin drunkard

For each his own.I update only if ivl is cut or bad quality.Or new release has spectacular extras.Luckily it does not happen often.

Shaolin Drunkard, I think you misunderstood him. Silver_Fox was talkin’ about a boot, his GroundZero garbage, his dusty ol’ VHS, whatever. Not about the IVL version. The difference between a good IVL – and AVENGING EAGLE qualifies as exactly that, regardless of what kinda expletives habitual “foul” criers slap on it! – and a Dragon Dynasty Shaw DVD is admittedly still visible, but hardly dramatic.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have access to IVL or all-region dvds and such, as most folks don't. My red sun boot was likely ripped from this IVL you mention. It's remastered with the original dub. That is the only version widely available here. Sorry, we all can't afford it.

Why?..Its easy to pick up a cheap region free player and you can buy most r3 dvds on the net with ease.

shaolin drunkard

Of last 2 batches only title shop had was executioners from shaolin.Picked it, they should fire designer.On back cover Pai Mai wearing armour and holding samurai sword:squigglemouth:

Picture quality excellent tho...

Update for the latest batch..

Avenging Eagle..

Old skool english dub

progressive transfer

Unfortunately same cut print as celestial... :sad:

Unfortunately same cut print as celestial...

Didn't expect anything else from them. But thanks for the info anyhow, kurtz. Since the upgrade in PQ will be minimal (at best!) I'ma stick with my IVL.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
Why?..Its easy to pick up a cheap region free player and you can buy most r3 dvds on the net with ease.

This is quite true. You can get a decent region free dvd player for under a hundred bucks on amazon. R3 IVLs are all over the web. fivestarlaser has a decent selection as well as yesasia and so forth. I'm just disappointed Celestial released some films on vcd only, like Black Butterfly. I need that film on dvd. I need it. I can't live without it in my collection. ;)

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
Update for the latest batch..

Avenging Eagle..

Old skool english dub

progressive transfer

Unfortunately same cut print as celestial... :sad:

How'd you get a copy so soon sir?

Well I guess Ill just get killer clans and Blood brothers since the IVLs are nonanamorphic maybe executioners since the IVL was cropped but thats it. These might come on blu ray and if they hong kong blu rays will come.

On closer inspection, despite my earlier comment the cover of "Avenging Eagle" has also changed drastically....the left figure is now Fu Sheng with Ti Lung on the right of the main bad guy..

It's NOT the cover on amazon..

Maybe somebody is listening? :tongue:

Well, how about chipping in and getting me all that stuff? Sorry, I'm poor and only have enough to purchase very few movies every couple months. Redbox is my friend. I can't just go buy all new equipment and import dvds, just for kung fu films. Cheap to you is alot for some folks. As far as I know those would be shipped from outside the US. No thanks

I'm poor too but a multi-region player is an investment.even only buying the odd movie every now and then it gives you more choice. You can save money finding cheaper editions and have them shipped halfway around the world or better versions of movies/uncut. A particular movie may not be available in your region, why deny yourself.:squigglemouth:

I cant understand your logic. Its not just kung fu movies that have superior editions on other regions and why deny yourself great movies?..There were hundreds of Shaw movies released on region 3 dvd, how many on region 1, 20 , 25 if that.

I understand all that. But I don't just use my dvd player for kung fu films. It's for all movies we watch, and to buy another piece of equipment specifically for viewing foriegn films would be nonsensical to me.

What make and model is your dvd player? shaolin drunkard is right. More often than not these R1 locked dvd players can be easily unlocked to play any region coded dvd. Just tell us what dvd player you are using and we will give you the code to punch into the remote.

Maybe not even need to purchase new player.From net region code hacks can be found for many players...

I can't believe I've forgotten that, I'm usually the one suggesting that.

I cant understand your logic. Its not just kung fu movies that have superior editions on other regions and why deny yourself great movies?..There were hundreds of Shaw movies released on region 3 dvd, how many on region 1, 20 , 25 if that.

And it doesn't even have to be a better version of a particular film, something that is out of print in the states might be available elsewhere in the world. It's so pleasing discovering something that you can't get in your own region or a superior version or even a film you're desperate to see and could be waiting six months, a year, longer for it to arrive in your region. Plus the amount of times I've picked up something cheaper on the net and have it delivered from the other side of the world and paid less than I could get locally. Choice is always a good thing.

Anyway hopefully his player will be one that can be simply changed by a few presses of his remote control.

I didn't even know people still used region coded DVD players.

North America has a much bigger DVD market, so I suppose it never caught on like in the UK?

I have to watch my R3's on my laptop

If anyone has anyway I can watch them on my 360 or PS3 let me know. I just can't afford a Region Free DVD player right now. Seems all of them are 30 plus atleast.

I have to watch my R3's on my laptop

If anyone has anyway I can watch them on my 360 or PS3 let me know. I just can't afford a Region Free DVD player right now. Seems all of them are 30 plus atleast.

Many of the cheap ones at walmart and target are 'hackable' to play any region. As little as $20.

If you own both a 360 and a PS3, you should be able to afford that. =D

If you have an original Xbox, you can mod it and make it region free, plus play dvds stored on the hard drive (I think) using XBMC. It'll play all divx, xvid, whatever files as long as they're not HD, too. Pretty useful.

shaolin drunkard

Does Kurtz have some kind of special deal with ARC and gets titles in advance as no comments from others about last batch:ooh::ooh::ooh::ooh:?

:bigsmile:

I can assure you that I do not! I simply ordered them from a scandinavian etailer whom seems to get them early! I'm not complaining! :tongue:

Just figured that I'd post info on them if I can to help others debating buying...

Nobody commented on my latest post in a different thread about "Lion vs Lion"...an unannounced (media and on box) Cantonese track...People have moaned about the fact of only mandarin/English on most Shaws lately and when I post a nice surprise like that not one person commented! :neutral: Ah well...

Guest Markgway
Nobody commented on my latest post in a different thread about "Lion vs Lion"...an unannounced (media and on box) Cantonese track...People have moaned about the fact of only mandarin/English on most Shaws lately and when I post a nice surprise like that not one person commented! :neutral: Ah well...

That's nice to hear. I just didn't like the film.

Archived