ARC Entertainment's NEW R1 Shaw Brothers DVDs! 9/13!

mpm74

Hey guys! Just watched "Executioners From Shaolin" and "Five Shaolin Masters" over the weekend. They are in widescreen and they look good! The trailers they have are for older releases ("Fist of Legend" and "Man bites Dog"). I listened to the english dubs and they sound good, if a little tinny. The weird thing is that on "...Masters" during the final fight the sound effects sound slightly muffled, but whatever dialogue occurs during that scene sounds just fine. Weird. I have "Mad Monkey Kungfu" and "Martial Arts of Shaolin" to look forward to watching this week. Cheers!

Thanks for the info!

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a look at the four pack containing the already-released title.

They're calling this set Vol 1, so I assume they will have a volume 2 for the upcoming releases.

RogueWarrior

"The box set is presented in a beautifully designed slip sleeve."

HAHHAHHAAAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAA

Dragon Dynasty bit the dust, no other explanation seems to be possible at this time.

I mean, their website hasn’t been updated in half a year (BATTLE OF WITS - re-titled BATTLE OF THE WARRORS in typical DD fashion - is announced as coming out on the 15th of March… 2011 that is…) and outsourced their remaining Shaw titles to ARC Entertainment. Maybe, just maybe, the occasional BD issue of some older catalogue title will eventually pop up (like FIVE DEADLY VENOMS released in May), but I’m sure they stopped functioning as a company licensing and releasing current or not so current Asian films. Would have been nice if they had the decency to announce to their long-term customers via their website hat they’re signing off. Oh well…

With FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS I received my first ARC disc yesterday. First off, I gotta say when you hold the cover in your hand and stare at it in live-size (as opposed to a shopping cart thumbnail image) you just have to admit that this “artwork” is indeed an abomination. It must have been “designed” by some moron who never ever familiarized himself with the the films he’s creating the “artwork” for. And of course the casing looks cheap too, no mo’ slipcovers, goes without saying…

The only redeeming factor for me is the transfer that, while not exactly being spectacular, is clearly superior to the somewhat fuzzy looking IVL. As for the better looking IVL titles, the upgrade in PQ that these ARC discs provide will be negligible, I suppose.

Perhaps someone could ask Bey Logan if there in touch with him if DD have bitten the dust. Certainly looks like it.

With FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS I received my first ARC disc yesterday. First off, I gotta say when you hold the cover in your hand and stare at it in live-size (as opposed to a shopping cart thumbnail image) you just have to admit that this “artwork” is indeed an abomination. It must have been “designed” by some moron who never ever familiarized himself with the the films he’s creating the “artwork” for. And of course the casing looks cheap too, no mo’ slipcovers, goes without saying…

They're just cutting costs down. Can't blame them. Everyone is doing it these days. Yeah, covers are wack, but they don't bother me. They've been throwing us false posters since god knows when...ever see the North American Five Element Ninjas Poster? Sure, it's acceptable and cool because it's retro and all, but I don't remember a ninja using a pair of nunchucks... or even The Iron Dragon Strikes Back poster doesn't make sense.

Time is just repeating itself.

I don't know what was up with that last FIVE DEADLY VENOMS Blu-ray (may be the last real DD release?), but my opinion is DD is, currently, nothing but a meaningless label they slap on these DVD releases. No creative team putting together special features. No more Bey Logan. No more updated website. (obviously, to all of this)

The fact that it's under ARC ENTERTAINMENT (and not Weinstein Company/Vivendi/whatever) should tell us something.

It would be nice to get Bey Logans commentaries, but he's obviously been out of touch with DD and doing his own thing with his online business.

Gotta hand it to ARC though.... they've been releasing these like hot cakes. I haven't seen anyone else bust out Shaws in batches like this ever. Sure, they're barebones, the artwork is wack, the casing is cheap, but where else you going to find them legitimately?

Martial Arts From Shaolin isn't an Improvement from the IVL. All it has is Mandarin Mono but the time is identical to the IVL and the picture looks identical as well.

Martial Arts From Shaolin isn't an Improvement from the IVL.

Right! I already stated this in an earlier post: There is no reason whatsoever to exchange the good IVL titles (MARTIAL ARTS FROM SHAOLIN, MAD MONKEY KUNG FU, AVENGING EAGLE or FLYING GUILLIOTINE for instance) for these new ARC versions. Unless you never bought those in the first place because you don’t have an all-regions player. Or you’re allergic to subtitles and are craving for an English dub.

Guest Markgway
Martial Arts From Shaolin isn't an Improvement from the IVL. All it has is Mandarin Mono but the time is identical to the IVL and the picture looks identical as well.

Are these ARC release PAL conversions then?

Dragon Dynasty releases were proper NTSC progressive.

I think just Martial Arts from Shaolin is you can see combing several times. The other three are progressive.

I managed to get all of these recently (two for my birthday from my gf, and I found the other two at Wal-Mart for $9 each), and I can confirm that Martial Arts of Shaolin is a PAL-to-NTSC interlaced conversion :sad:

No idea why, as the other three are proper film-speed transfers. Now, if MAOS was the first of the four in this batch, I wouldn't be so worried... but the fact that it's #50, the last of the four, it has me worried about the rest of the SB DVDs from them. Here's hoping it was just a fluke, and the other 6 planned Shaws from Arc/DD will be proper progressive scan transfers.

Right! I already stated this in an earlier post: There is no reason whatsoever to exchange the good IVL titles (MARTIAL ARTS FROM SHAOLIN, MAD MONKEY KUNG FU, AVENGING EAGLE or FLYING GUILLIOTINE for instance) for these new ARC versions. Unless you never bought those in the first place because you don’t have an all-regions player. Or you’re allergic to subtitles and are craving for an English dub.

AVENGING EAGLE IVL has horrible 5.1 Audio which destroys the Original Mono as it was released. Reason to avoid that piece of Crap. plus it's typical interlaced Shit.

If there's been one upside to the DD Shaw releases, it's that they've all had original mono tracks (as far as I remember). Of course, there have been three releases where Cantonese was the original track, but only Mandarin was supplied. Most recent being Mad Monkey Kung Fu.

After seeing Martial Arts of Shaolin interlaced at PAL speed, I'm worried about the other six... seems like a gamble now, when it used to be a "sure thing".

Originally Posted by spannick

AVENGING EAGLE IVL has horrible 5.1 Audio which destroys the Original Mono as it was released. Reason to avoid that piece of Crap. plus it's typical interlaced Shit.
Well, I never claimed that the IVL is perfect but it does display very decently on a big LCD screen, interlaced or not. And when you scream “Avoid!”, maybe you can enlighten me what the better alternative is? I’m dying to find out… because I’ve never heard of a version of this absolutely unavoidable classic that can come even close to the IVL presentation.

Originally Posted by spannick

Well, I never claimed that the IVL is perfect but it does display very decently on a big LCD screen, interlaced or not. And when you scream “Avoid!”, maybe you can enlighten me what the better alternative is? I’m dying to find out… because I’ve never heard of a version of this absolutely unavoidable classic that can come even close to the IVL presentation.

You have worded perfectly what I've been saying all along. When viewed on a nice system, it's still the best way to view these 30-40 yr old classics!

Have got the next batch of Avenging Eagle, Golden Swallow, blood brothers and killer clans winging their way across the ocean to me as we speak ...will update when they arrive in a few days..:tongue:

Hopefully a better experience than my recent disappointing one with stranger and gunfighter as posted in other thread :sad:

shaolin drunkard
Have got the next batch of Avenging Eagle, Golden Swallow, blood brothers and killer clans winging their way across the ocean to me as we speak ...will update when they arrive in a few days..:tongue:

Hopefully a better experience than my recent disappointing one with stranger and gunfighter as posted in other thread :sad:

Wow,they are outing them at nice speed...I still have not gone to pick up 5 shaolin masters and executioners...hopefully avenging eagle is full version:smile:

After Martial Arts From Shaolin, let us know if these are progressive scan transfers!

Received today, Have not opened them yet but the basics are pretty much the same..

Mandarin and English 2.0 , No extras for all. And some dodgy artwork :smile:

As I say haven't time to open them yet but Avenging Eagle is marked at 91minutes..

Incredibly, I have not seen avenging eagle and will watch it this weekend ,so sorry, but I do not want to spoil the end fight until then...Will update when I've watched it unless somebody beats me to it..

Having never seen AE either, I did some research and saw that the IVL is apparently 88 minutes... so it looks like the PAL/NTSC issue may not crop up again in that case at least. But as for being uncut, as I've never seen the film, I dunno :squigglemouth:

I'm devastated that I have to pay a premium for six times the resolution, uncompressed chroma, native film framerate, and lossless sound. Wait...nope. Not devastated.

shaolin drunkard
I'm devastated that I have to pay a premium for six times the resolution, uncompressed chroma, native film framerate, and lossless sound. Wait...nope. Not devastated.

For each his own.I update only if ivl is cut or bad quality.Or new release has spectacular extras.Luckily it does not happen often.

Archived