ARC Entertainment's NEW R1 Shaw Brothers DVDs! 9/13!

mpm74

What's the artwork like on the disc and in the menus it is whats inside that counts...I dont have that kind of money either but if they came on blu ray then hell yeah id double dip.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chemical Lemon

I'm not holding my breath for blu ray right now, I think they're really struggling to get just the DVDs out. I think blus for the really popular ones will trickle out though. But if it helps to confirm that they are or were thinking about it, the discs all use the naming convention of [movie title]_SD . Which makes one assume there is an equivalent [movie title]_HD.

Pai Mei/reason108,

Sorry haven't been able to get here for a while...

Sorry , No idea about the interlacing. I'm not really technical enough....I got them from a normal online etailer based in scandinavia. They are not screeners.

Apparently these first 4 (executioners etc) are being released in a boxset with slim cases..as well as individually..

Yes, reason108 I have all 4 from this batch - dont know about avenging eagle as that is in the second batch.

Had it confirmed from arc ent that all have original english dubs though it was one single reply from I dont know how many emails to them... Can personally confirm these first 4..

Thanks for the heads up. I'll collect these 4-packs. I could use the shelf space!

Guest Markgway

If I KNEW there wasn't going to be Blus I'd get the DVDs... but I'm really sick of multi-dipping.

There's absolutely no reason why they can't put them out simultaneously.

Just watched "Martial Arts of Shaolin" with Jet Li from this batch.

I was a bit confused as to why it was part of the "shaw brothers collection"...turns out that it was a mainland film with a Shaw Brothers production team. Nice looking film with way too many actual location shoots to be a shaw brothers movie! :wink:

Good film all in all but I have seen it highly spoken of around the net , even here on kfc reviews, I didn't think it was THAT classic.though the main villain was dispatched in a harsh way compared to the rest of the film!

A couple of moments that would make the BBFC in the UK squirm with animals, kicking of some sheep and the skinning and cooking of what looks like an actual snake.

The english dub sounded odd compared to the other batches classic english dubs but maybe as it was a later film and not completely a shaws film :ooh:

DVD quality was very good - great visuals and sound. A couple of subtitle issues if getting very picky. "disaster" missing the d at one point and a shaolin teacher shouting something that was completely missed in the boat end fight scene but that is being ultra picky.

Overall though, well worth a watch!

shaolin drunkard
Just watched "Martial Arts of Shaolin" with Jet Li from this batch.

I was a bit confused as to why it was part of the "shaw brothers collection"...turns out that it was a mainland film with a Shaw Brothers production team. Nice looking film with way too many actual location shoots to be a shaw brothers movie! :wink:

Good film all in all but I have seen it highly spoken of around the net , even here on kfc reviews, I didn't think it was THAT classic.though the main villain was dispatched in a harsh way compared to the rest of the film!

A couple of moments that would make the BBFC in the UK squirm with animals, kicking of some sheep and the skinning and cooking of what looks like an actual snake.

The english dub sounded odd compared to the other batches classic english dubs but maybe as it was a later film and not completely a shaws film :ooh:

DVD quality was very good - great visuals and sound. A couple of subtitle issues if getting very picky. "disaster" missing the d at one point and a shaolin teacher shouting something that was completely missed in the boat end fight scene but that is being ultra picky.

Overall though, well worth a watch!

It`s not quite as great as part 1 but better than #2 which concentrates too much for humour(it`s still good movie).I traded away my hk-version when heard R1 release is coming and definitely gonna pick this.

Is there any extras?

Guest Markgway

If memory serves me correctly... Martial Arts of Shaolin was the only film produced by the Hong Kong branch of China's Pearl River Company... though it was still shot on the mainland. Shaw Bros only distributed the film.

Hey is the Box art on the cover of the disc ? Forgetting Cantonese on Mad Monkey is stupid Dragon Dynasty Failed again.

Thanks for all the info Rougewarrior and others who havebought the discs. Dragon Dynasty Hate Cantonese I guess examples (My Young Auntie,8 Diagram Pole Fighter,Disciples of the 36th Chamber and now Mad Monkey)

• Administrator
Hello...

I just picked up Martial Arts and Executioners at Walmart in store for 9 bucks a pop!

Just an FYI

Thanks for the head's up bro. :bigsmile:

I don't get it... you would think they would just grab all three tracks, like 36th Chamber. Hell, to think we dealt with the opposite issue with HKL and the Bruce Lee films, having only Cantonese when they should've primarily had Mandarin (which they only got right when re-releasing Fist of Fury). Seriously, just to cover their asses, they should have both Chinese dialects.

Does anyone know which language Martial Arts of Shaolin is Cantonese or Mandarin many websites have conflicting reports.

Hong Kong Film Archives-Cantonese

HKMDB-Mandarin

INMDB-Mandarin

Hong Kong Cinemagic-Mandarin

Guest Markgway
I don't get it... you would think they would just grab all three tracks, like 36th Chamber. Hell, to think we dealt with the opposite issue with HKL and the Bruce Lee films, having only Cantonese when they should've primarily had Mandarin (which they only got right when re-releasing Fist of Fury). Seriously, just to cover their asses, they should have both Chinese dialects.

Because no one gives enough of a shit to pay attention.

Does anyone know which language Martial Arts of Shaolin is Cantonese or Mandarin many websites have conflicting reports.

Hong Kong Film Archives-Cantonese

HKMDB-Mandarin

INMDB-Mandarin

Hong Kong Cinemagic-Mandarin

Filmed in Mandarin, released in Hong Kong in Cantonese dub.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I used to not really give a shit about, what I considered to be, minor mistakes or half assed remastering on R1 releases just because I was so pleased they were being released at all somewhat remastered. But, the cover for Avenging Eagle is just ridiculous. So, I'm jumpin in with the winers. The shoddy remastering of Invincible Shaolin's english dub, which stands for a lot of the latest releases, wicked poor remastering of the english dub audio. It does suck and I am disappointed. I hope and pray that the cover to Avenging Eagle is the only disappointment I have with it's release. It dose'nt say english dubbed on amazon if memory serves me right. That would be a huge loss if it's not included.

I used to not really give a shit about, what I considered to be, minor mistakes or half assed remastering on R1 releases just because I was so pleased they were being released at all somewhat remastered. But, the cover for Avenging Eagle is just ridiculous. So, I'm jumpin in with the winers. The shoddy remastering of Invincible Shaolin's english dub, which stands for a lot of the latest releases, wicked poor remastering of the english dub audio. It does suck and I am disappointed. I hope and pray that the cover to Avenging Eagle is the only disappointment I have with it's release. It dose'nt say english dubbed on amazon if memory serves me right. That would be a huge loss if it's not included.

And.. It also says FULL FRAME in the specs for Executioner From Shaolin and Five Masters of Death.

Killer Meteor
Thanks for all the info Rougewarrior and others who havebought the discs. Dragon Dynasty Hate Cantonese I guess examples (My Young Auntie,8 Diagram Pole Fighter,Disciples of the 36th Chamber and now Mad Monkey)

Celestial are partly to blame. They push Mandarin as the main track on nearly all their Shaw films. Not one of the German, Spanish, Australian, British (36th Chamber excepted) or Italian DVDs has a Cantonese track, just Mandarin.

And.. It also says FULL FRAME in the specs for Executioner From Shaolin and Five Masters of Death.

The first batch is widescreen. They contain trailers when you load them; before the movie starts. But, I don`t think the trailers are accessible from the main menu. BARE BONES discs.

I think the covers are ugly enough that I might try to download some better artwork and just make them custom discs.

Hey guys! Just watched "Executioners From Shaolin" and "Five Shaolin Masters" over the weekend. They are in widescreen and they look good! The trailers they have are for older releases ("Fist of Legend" and "Man bites Dog"). I listened to the english dubs and they sound good, if a little tinny. The weird thing is that on "...Masters" during the final fight the sound effects sound slightly muffled, but whatever dialogue occurs during that scene sounds just fine. Weird. I have "Mad Monkey Kungfu" and "Martial Arts of Shaolin" to look forward to watching this week. Cheers!

Archived