ARC Entertainment's NEW R1 Shaw Brothers DVDs! 9/13!

mpm74

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone purchased any of these releases yet? I have ordered Executioners of Shaolin and Martial Arts of Shaolin. Is Avenging Eagle the uncut version?

Pai Mei/reason108,

Sorry haven't been able to get here for a while...

Sorry , No idea about the interlacing. I'm not really technical enough....I got them from a normal online etailer based in scandinavia. They are not screeners.

Apparently these first 4 (executioners etc) are being released in a boxset with slim cases..as well as individually..

Yes, reason108 I have all 4 from this batch - dont know about avenging eagle as that is in the second batch.

Had it confirmed from arc ent that all have original english dubs though it was one single reply from I dont know how many emails to them... Can personally confirm these first 4..

masterofoneinchpunch

What's weird is that Amazon has the boxset listed as coming out Oct. 4, 2011 (I put a link in the R1 sticky thread).

I'm watching Five Shaolin Masters now. I'm not super technical proficient, but it does seem to have a sharper image than the ivl. Also, I haven't compared it to my ivl, but it seems to have a darker picture. Night scenes are very dark, and the hair barets don't stick out as bad.

DeathFuMaster
What's weird is that Amazon has the boxset listed as coming out Oct. 4, 2011 (I put a link in the R1 sticky thread).

Sweet, the boxset is a great deal. I hope the other DVDs get released in boxsets as well.

I just got my Executioners from Shaolin disc in the mail.

post-2783-144191888844_thumb.jpg

I don't remember wearing my samurai outfit in the movie.

masterofoneinchpunch

American members: Is Best Buy carrying this (any North American outlet)? FYE (or at least mine) is not. Otherwise I'm going to have to online these.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Geeeezuz fucking H christ! These have to be THE worst covers in history! Well, if the films are untampered I won't bitch...... much...

Shaolin Patriot
I just got my Executioners from Shaolin disc in the mail.

[ATTACH]1113[/ATTACH]

I don't remember wearing my samurai outfit in the movie.

Oh good. Maybe we can look forward to seeing Fu Sheng sporting a karate gi on the back cover of Five Shaolin Masters.

Here is a comparison between the Dragon Dynasty and IVL discs for Executioners from Shaolin.

IVL:

vlcsnap-2011-08-10-22h13m10s201.png

DD:

vlcsnap-2011-08-10-21h53m38s225.png

IVL:

vlcsnap-2011-08-10-22h33m43s213.png

DD:

vlcsnap-2011-08-10-22h06m48s204.png

AND...

ILV (Interlaced):

vlcsnap-2011-08-10-22h28m47s243.png

DD (Progressive):

vlcsnap-2011-08-10-22h43m26s191.png

Even though the covers really, REALLY suck... It's obvious that Dragon Dynasty surpasses IVL in video quality in every way.

It even looks as if the IVL may have been cropped a little bit.

Maybe online, Best Buy doesn't have shit in their stores anymore. They've downsized their DVD and CD inventory dramatically. Good luck finding it if you do. They bunch all of the dvds in 1 section now. At least in my area. Walmart and Fye have a better selection.

Same here, Best Buy has next to nothing in their DVD section nowadays. Though I was surprised to see in one of my local Best Buy stores last month that they were stocking a few Roger Corman double features from Shout Factory.

I had to buy these DD/Arc Shaw Brothers films online because no brick and mortar stores around my area had them in stock.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Just got Mad Monkey Kung Fu today.... that particular cover is excusable.... though LKL is holding a sword and sporting a weird do on the back! But what's more annoying is that the sleeve end or whatever you call it... the spine, is different than the other DD shaws, so if you put them next to each other on the shelf, they don't match! Yes, I actually care about that stuff......

TibetanWhiteCrane

Quick question... did Clan Of The White Lotus ever get a US or R2 release?? I forgot?

And which thread was it that had the list of Shaws titles belonging to weinstein co.??

masterofoneinchpunch
Quick question... did Clan Of The White Lotus ever get a US or R2 release?? I forgot?

And which thread was it that had the list of Shaws titles belonging to weinstein co.??

It does not have a proper R1 release (there is a bootleg :D).

I do have a link in the R1 thread that shows all the released DDs and the list you are talking about is also directly here.

RogueWarrior

I made a IVL Custom Dub of this. Its out there.

Even though the covers really, REALLY suck... It's obvious that Dragon Dynasty surpasses IVL in video quality in every way.

As the old saying goes, it's what's on the inside that counts :wink: Yeah, IVL's slightly too-blue, slightly cropped, and PAL-to-NTSC interlaced transfer versus DD's properly color balanced, more visually open, and progressive scan transfer. Yeah, easy winner here.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Thanks.....

Yeah im looking for a proper legit release of COTWL, guess I can just get the IVL!

What are the odds that DD or whomever they subcontract to, is gonna put out Boxer From Shantung, Vengeance, Kung Fu Instructor and some of those other titles?? Pretty slim I guess!

Is the Boxer From Shantung IVL non anamorphic? I remember it was one of their early releases!

RogueWarrior

OMG, my copies arrived today. And what HORRIBLE covers. We should all write and complain!

FYI, there are also Custom Dubs of Boxer From Shantung, Vengeance, Kung Fu Instructor. I did one of them and supplied the dub for another. All anamorphic on the IVL customs too.

Guest Markgway

Significant improvement on the DD release.

I'd be more tempted if I didn't think they would put out Blu Rays.

I really don't have money tor burn double/triple dipping for every fucking movie.

Archived