ARC Entertainment's NEW R1 Shaw Brothers DVDs! 9/13!

mpm74

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But if it’s the same version than the IVL… well, than at least only one member of this forum wasted his hard-earned bucks… :wink:

Personally I think progressive video and original mono would make it worth considering with or without.

Bronx Rican

It's obviously far too early to start condemning whoever or whatever over the covers because they're constantly changing anyway. My opinion so far is that they're all very well designed, and that execution is now what's important as they're being finalized. As in, get the right people on, and don't have it look like the actors' heads were badly Photoshopped onto different bodies. Also, the first rule should be 'know your subject', and although the Golden Swallow cover is pretty awesome, I hope they find a way to get Pei-Pei in there somewhere; her character is the title.

These things do seem to be headed for release quickly, and it doesn't bode well for the video presentation. Here's hoping for '24p ana', accurate subs and as much original Manda/Canto/Eng as possible.

The Golden Swallow cover is an ok design, but at least not have Wang Yu holding a SAMURAI sword and wearing JAPANESE clothing....get your basic facts right for god sake!

Saying that, covers are not important really, we can all design our own or download fan made ones, what matters is a good transfer and original mono sound, i have the IVL but might get this if its a better transfer or, we can pray, Blu ray?:squigglemouth:

They need to hire a head of the art department who has a clue. Take some art off of an old movie poster or press kit somewhere, spruce it up a bit for modern times if you will and done. These days they don't even get the right characters on the cover half the time. Unbelievable!

Eastern Evil
The Golden Swallow cover is an ok design, but at least not have Wang Yu holding a SAMURAI sword and wearing JAPANESE clothing....get your basic facts right for god sake!

Saying that, covers are not important really, we can all design our own or download fan made ones, what matters is a good transfer and original mono sound, i have the IVL but might get this if its a better transfer or, we can pray, Blu ray?:squigglemouth:

Forgive my my ignorance, but can you tell me what is good about mono rather than whatever they have as an alternative?

I have a basic understanding of mono/stereo, 5.1 and all that.

When I think of mono, I think of old Beatle records (I really like the instrument separation on 'Hey Bulldog' - my favorite Beatle song - One side has Bass only & the other has the drums, vocals & whatever....It's been a while!)

Anything you can tell me to help learn a bit about why people like mono these days would be appreciated. Thank you very much!

Simple, because thats the way they were released in Cinema's back then. A lot of the new releases of older titles have new added sound fx to make them sound like 5.1, thats why we complain.

Yep, it sounds terrible when you have a mixture of 1960's or 1970's sound effects and newly recorded "5.1 effects" (which don't sound anything like, and even tend to be of much worse quality than the original sound effects). Plus, on these 5.1 tracks you get tons of newly added stuff that isn't supposed to be in the film, like additional sound effects, even new music sometimes. Look forward to the latest Canto-pop song in your old school kung fu film (which I believe actually happened with Warriors Two).

Celestial with their SB tracks aren't quite as bad as Fortune Star, but still. I guess the next step would be adding some CG effects to old school kung fu movies, or maybe make them 3D :cry::tongue:

I guess the next step would be adding some CG effects to old school kung fu movies, or maybe make them 3D :cry::tongue:

Don`t say that too loudly, they may hear you. :bigsmile:

Bronx Rican
I guess the next step would be adding some CG effects to old school kung fu movies...

You're too late. Most people wouldn't take titles and credits into consideration, but unless you think the Five Venoms titles had wipes and fade effects like that in 1978, that would count as CG.

Are you referring to that "Don't Be Cruel" cover song playing in the teahouse? What the hell is that lol? I thought that was in the original dub, as well? I always found it weird why they put that Elvis Presley song in there?

I don't have the disc, as I'm a happy owner of the Deltamac edition. But my understanding is that something that shouldn't be there was added to the soundtrack...

dionbrother

It is Sam Hui's cover of the Elvis classic from his 1979 "Here Comes Fortune" LP. The Media Asia new dub of WARRIORS TWO is the first soundtrack to include it. Doesn't belong there and I'm sure Polydor/Universal music would like to know why the hell it is there.

Bronx Rican
It is Sam Hui's cover of the Elvis classic from his 1979 "Here Comes Fortune" LP. The Media Asia new dub of WARRIORS TWO is the first soundtrack to include it. Doesn't belong there and I'm sure Polydor/Universal music would like to know why the hell it is there.

Man, I don't remember that part! I recall being at work while watching, so maybe that's the reason I missed it.

I still recall, and I'm still looking for, that one film, whose title I completely forgot, that was dubbed by the Ocean Shores people in the 80's, where they replaced all the music with synthy garbage, including an instrumental cover of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Yx0X-eHn8. And some of you thought Celestial were the first! :bigsmile:

Someone needs to do a custom version with the HK Legends picture (excellent) but with original mono sound.

Just received the first batch of 4 ..All have mandarin 2.0 and English 2.0 listed. No extras.

Had a quick listen to Mad Monkey and it appears to be classic dub and not some new redub...:smile:

Just received the first batch of 4 ..All have mandarin 2.0 and English 2.0 listed. No extras.

Had a quick listen to Mad Monkey and it appears to be classic dub and not some new redub...:smile:

Hi kurtz,

Can you tell if they are interlaced?

And how/where did you get them? Are they screeners? I don't think they are too be released until 8/9/11.

Someone needs to do a custom version with the HK Legends picture (excellent) but with original mono sound.

Didn't HKL later release copies without the Cantopop insertion? I have a copy of the HKL and I'm not sure I've ever noticed it.

Still, that wouldn't be mono I'm sure.

Its not just that song, more the annoying added sound effects that stand out like a sore thumb.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Re. Warriors Two:

Happened to check my copy of the HKL and the 5.1 mix is truly atrocious.

Are all HKL titles like that??? I've seen dragon lord by HKL and the audio on that disc is absolute shit as well...

Is HKL the Dragon Dynasty version in the U.K???:tinysmile_angry2_t:

Most HKL titles are fine, its the added sound fx that makes Warriors Two so bad. Shame as the picture quality is excellent as well as the extras.

Guest Markgway
Are all HKL titles like that???

No. Look out for the ones that offer original mono tracks.

I've seen dragon lord by HKL and the audio on that disc is absolute shit as well...

Fortune Star remixes are WORSE than Media Asia remixes... so if you think Dragon Lord is bad...........

Is HKL the Dragon Dynasty version in the U.K???

No, but they use the same source print.

Archived