ARC Entertainment's NEW R1 Shaw Brothers DVDs! 9/13!

mpm74

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
on the cover of avenging eagle--- it should be fu sheng with the sleeve knives .:squigglemouth:

My bad the amazon cover is different from the one on arc entertainment website.

Kung Foolery
Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis, and the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of. And unto this, Swallow, destined to wear the jeweled crown of Aquilonia upon a troubled brow. It is I, her chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga. Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!!!!!

:bigsmile:

I'm liking that we're seeing some movement on the DD shaw licenses finally. No mentioning of any blurays for those available in HD is absolutely retarded by this point in time, but at least things are moving.

Well hopefully Avenging Eagle will be un-cut complete with the missing fight footage during the final fight.

Just when I thought DD was done....they are doing this and I'm fine with it. Sure the covers totally suck but at the same time I hope with bare bones releases they will be around $10 a pop.

This is great news, one problem though, im trying to figure out who that is on the cover of Avenging Eagle. It's almost as if

the artist started with Ti Lung with Fu Shengs gear, but once he realized his mistake, it seems as if he tried to make up for it

by creating an amalgam of every character in the movie. It looks like he tried to fit a little Jim Kelly in there too. Another theory

is this is temp artwork, and the artist was practicing and drew himself. Worst case scenario we get really bad artwork, but at least

we get the artist (or everyone in the movie) on the cover. "Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting, them dudes was fast as lightning...''

Image1-1.jpg

Here are the covers they are dragon dynasty way to go hate the covers lol.

http://www.arc-ent.com/dragondynasty.html

Wow they changed the cover art on me.

Check out the companies website and I see Ti Lung and Fu Sheng on there....now this...a namless asian man on the cover. I hope that's not the final art....oh well.

Wow they changed the cover art on me.

They sure did, take a look they changed that cover to Golden Swallow as well.

The covers of „Blood Brothers“ (who is that director Chang Chah??? and why is Ti Lung featured twice (and no Chen Kuan Tai) and why is he in Shaolin garb to start with?), “Avenging Eagle” (no Ti Lung, no Fu Sheng (the main protagonists) but a unknown Asian with no stake in the movie), “Flying Guillotine 1 + 2” (wrong hairdo, wrong clothes, weapons etc.), “Five Shaolin Masters” (we had the discussion about that one, now didn’t we?!) etc., etc. etc. One could puke, fume and only wonder why those classic Shaw titles and top Shaw stars have been treated like this. Then one thinks it over calmly and at the end the answer is rather simple, if not disturbing:

The ARC/DD people releasing the 10 titles don’t care about them at all. They are too ignorant to realize what they have in their hands. They just want to get the merchandise out before the license runs out. They (those who are involved in the design, production and release of the titles) don’t know anything about the movies they are releasing. In fact, they even could not care less about those “old flicks”. The only reason to release them is to make a buck or two, and as the majority of DVD customers out there at Walmart, HMV, Blockbuster shops etc. don’t know anything about the movie either, the company takes the educated guess, that slapping some odd grimacing figures in Shaolin garb added with some obscure weapons are good enough to sell the odd copy on this niche market.

There is no other explanation for this s*** which s****!

Originally Posted by SadShawFan

The ARC/DD people releasing the 10 titles don’t care about them at all. They are too ignorant to realize what they have in their hands. They just want to get the merchandise out before the license runs out. They (those who are involved in the design, production and release of the titles) don’t know anything about the movies they are releasing. In fact, they even could not care less about those “old flicks”. The only reason to release them is to make a buck or two, and as the majority of DVD customers out there at Walmart, HMV, Blockbuster shops etc. don’t know anything about the movie either, the company takes the educated guess, that slapping some odd grimacing figures in Shaolin garb added with some obscure weapons are good enough to sell the odd copy on this niche market.

You hit it right on the head, SSF. The lobotomized “art designer” who was responsible for those atrocities should end up like David Chiang in THE HEROIC ONES… :xd:

Still, let’s keep a pragmatic approach about these releases and approach them with the lowest possible expectations. By this time I guess nobody seriously expects anything in regards of extras any more (unless you count goofy English dubs as such), think there won’t be no Bey Logan commentaries either.

But… DD will most likely insure that all these flicks will at least look as pristine as their other Shaws. And that alone, muchachos, would be reason enough for me to part with some taels...

So let’s compare them to what’s available at the moment:

KILLER CLANS – the IVL was non-anamorphic, but somewhat decent. The German MiB issue was anamorphic but there were subtitle issues (if I remember correctly) … Since it seems unlikely that we’ll see any Chor Yuan flicks on Blu Ray any time soon – now think about that, guess the works of no other SB director could shine as much if they'd emerge in that format! – I’ll probably settle for the second best option. The DD DVD that is...

GOLDEN SWALLOW – the IVL transfer was rather poor resulting in a soft and pretty hazy image. I’ll definitely pluck the DD here!

AVENGING EAGLE – the IVL looked quite impressive, but there was footage missing in the end fight. If those missing pieces are restored I’ll clinch the DD. Otherwise there’d be no reason to retire the IVL.

BLOOD BROTHERS – IVL was non-anamorphic but not all that bad. The Austrian uncut edition was anamorphic but PQ was not one iota better. Reason to upgrade, at least for me!

What is missing from ivl blood brothers?

:ooh:

The IVL isn't cut (i.e. censored), the German MiB edition is. In Austria the same Company released the film uncut.

The IVL isn't cut (i.e. censored), the German MiB edition is. In Austria the same Company released the film uncut.

Ok,thanks:nerd:

Killer Meteor

Notice on the rather eye-catchingly awesome cover for GOLDEN SWALLOW that Jimmy Wang Yu is dressed in a Japanese outfit.

On the cover of 5 Shaolin Masters there was another unidentified figure, i said to myself, well, who could this be? He's not in

the movie. After i thought about it for a moment i figured it out. It's David Chiang, take a look at that screenshot below. Im not

trying to knock arc entertainment, but the artwork is well, like whatever. David Chiang is depicted not once, but twice on the cover

of 5 Shaolin Masters, but perhaps it's really 3 Shaolin Masters after-all. Gordon Liu is also on the cover while he barely made an

appearance in the movie. Meng Fei is gone. Im hoping someone will post the larger cover art for Flying Guillotine 1,2. From those

thumbnails i can't seem to identify the person on those cover either.

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

Shaolin Patriot

Great news, with a fine batch of titles. It seems Arc only has distribution rights for 10 titles. DD still has plenty of remaining titles to release. Hopefully we'll see more R1 distributors over time.

http://www.arc-ent.com/dragondynasty.html

On the cover of 5 Shaolin Masters there was another unidentified figure, i said to myself, well, who could this be? He's not in

the movie. After i thought about it for a moment i figured it out. It's David Chiang, take a look at that screenshot below. Im not

trying to knock arc entertainment, but the artwork is well, like whatever. David Chiang is depicted not once, but twice on the cover

of 5 Shaolin Masters, but perhaps it's really 3 Shaolin Masters after-all. Gordon Liu is also on the cover while he barely made an

appearance in the movie. Meng Fei is gone. Im hoping someone will post the larger cover art for Flying Guillotine 1,2. From those

thumbnails i can't seem to identify the person on those cover either.

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

the guy whose face is in the box looks like the love child of Gordon Liu and Tony Jaa.

So Dragon Dynasty kinda out-sourced their next batch of Shaws...

Noticed that they don't update their website anymore either... Seems that, just like MB / Tokyo Shock, they're slowly fading away...

I mean, damn', they deserved their share of criticism, but it would be a bloody tragedy if they go out of business!

Those covers are god awful. Looking at some of the uniforms it looks like they took photos of southern kung fu stylists and put heads of some of the actors on the bodies. The David Chiang pic...he wished he was that muscular back then. Fu Sheng with the nunchaku...WTF? Do they realize this is a chinese martial arts movie? Pathetic. Do a little research before putting out garbage like that.

Presumably not before YOU buy it and compare it with your IVL, Bratty!

And if you’ll report that the one minute or so that’s missing in the final fight scene is restored on the ARC/DD disc, then I suppose nobody ‘s wasting any time snapping this up!

But if it’s the same version than the IVL… well, than at least only one member of this forum wasted his hard-earned bucks… :wink:

Archived