ARC Entertainment's NEW R1 Shaw Brothers DVDs! 9/13!

mpm74

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I'm pickin up Flying Guillotine 1 this thursday. Can't wait. Remastered with the english dub, nice!

Guest Markgway

Re. FG2:

The IVL runs 88:04; if the ARC is indeed 89m then it's another PAL-to-NTSC transfer.

The only reason to upgrade would be for the mono.

Do any of the new Shaw DD releases have commentaries?

No. The last one to have a commentary was Disciples of the 36h Chamber, which was a while ago.

wongfeihung62
No. The last one to have a commentary was Disciples of the 36h Chamber, which was a while ago.

Thanks. Pity as I am a huge fan of Bey Logan's commentaries.

Originally Posted by spannick

Well, I never claimed that the IVL is perfect but it does display very decently on a big LCD screen, interlaced or not. And when you scream “Avoid!”, maybe you can enlighten me what the better alternative is? I’m dying to find out… because I’ve never heard of a version of this absolutely unavoidable classic that can come even close to the IVL presentation.

He didn't scream "avoid" lol.

But I will... AVOID THE CRAPPY IVLs WITH COMPLETELY SHITTY AUDIO!

It still totally baffles me as to how anybody with even a remote interest in the legacy of these films can give these terrible surround mixes a pass.

So, the better alternative? The ARC version.

And for $5 a DVD in the box set its definitely a no brainer.

Time to dump some of those IVLs... Unless you really enjoy those amazing faux sound effects :wink:

i just got the ARC FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS, here are the pluses compared to IVL Shit:

- Original Mono

- Progressive Transfer

- New improved HD Transfer with better Colours, and even the Credits are now in White than the fake yellow of the old SD Master

- and even if it's only a DVD-5 the Encoding looks flawless and much better than any IVL DVD9.

as the HK Version had no bonus to speak of nothing is missed.

and it has the Old English Dubb too for the "illiterate dolts" as some like to call folks who have FUN with that stuff.

Picked up FLYING GUILLOTINE. Transfer has digital square attack at one point so back it goes...yawn.

The transfer suffers from it so it's on all discs, or was it just a defect on yours?

Killer Meteor
The transfer suffers from it so it's on all discs, or was it just a defect on yours?

Error in transfer to disc I think. Similar to problems on some of the German and Aussie Shaw DVDs.

The cut during the final fight make me crazy.

I understand some of these releases insert that footage back in, but I wish they would have spent a bit of money and restored them as well.

Error in transfer to disc I think. Similar to problems on some of the German and Aussie Shaw DVDs.

nobory else ever reported such Errors. maybe it's your equipment.

Killer Meteor
nobory else ever reported such Errors. maybe it's your equipment.

Nope, they are there. But to be fair, many are blink and you'll miss em.

The cut during the final fight make me crazy.

I understand some of these releases insert that footage back in, but I wish they would have spent a bit of money and restored them as well.

The cut in what, Five Shaolin Masters or Flying Guillotine? (no spoilers please)

instant noodles
The cut in what, Five Shaolin Masters or Flying Guillotine? (no spoilers please)

Maybe in avenging eagle, there is some footage missing. Some bootleg version is complete.

Archived