Best Of The Best

cchang6

Hi everyone!

Been looking for a particular movie for a long time. It was one of the best fighting movies I have ever seen!

I remember watching it before 1993. The storyline appeared to be almost identical to Best Of The Best with Eric Roberts. There were slight differences though e.g. the 2 countries competing against each other were Asian countries, the movie was in an Asian language and the fight scenes were slightly different.

Like Best Of The Best, the movie showed a team training to fight against another country. Then, like Eric Roberts, one of the fighters had to go home and was kicked off the team. The coach refused to let him back on but he followed them everywhere they went to train (like an outsider). In the end, he is watching his team (from the spectator stands) get slaughtered by the other country. In one scene, the entire team fought 1 of the foreign fighters at teh same time and lost. His coach then throws the white flag to surrender to the other team but this fighter jumps from the spectator stands to catch the flag with his feet before it lands on the ground, and fight the foreign fighter. Of course the fighter beats the foreign fighter and regains his country's honor.

any clue what the name of this movie is called?????????????? thanks peeps!!

ShaOW!linDude

Do you remember any of the nationalities involved?

Was this a foreign movie? US produced?

Any actor's name?

It sounds familiar, just need a little more to go on.

no i cant remember what the nationalities were. it could have been korean vs japanese, or even taiwanese vs. japanese or something like that.

it definitely was a foreign movie. dont think it was US produced at all. it was in a foreign language. I keep thinking jackie chan was in it as the star but it was so long ago that i may have confabulated that. also, it did not have any comedy action scenes which is why i ruled out jackie chan. But then again, he may have been in non-comedy action films when he was young.

another part of the movie i remember:

Before the tournament began (maybe half way through training), the team went to the woods or something to train. As they were leaving for the woods, and when the "star of the show" came back to join the team and train, the coach said he was not welcome back as he had left for personal reasons and without the coach's permission. However, the star followed the team to the woods to train anyway. So when the team did one particular exercise, he would watch from the side and do it too. The whole time, he was not acknowledged by the coach. However, his friends on the team would go up to him and share their food.

Also, because he had no training partner in the woods, he did everything twice which made him fitter and stronger, which is one of the reasons why he was superior to his teammates and could beat the foreign fighter at the end of the movie.

also, after he caught the white flag/hankerchief in the air with his feet AND before he fought the foreign fighter, he asked the coach permission to regain their country's honour and fight the foreign fighter even though he was no longer part of the team (the entire team was beaten up by this one foreign fighter already which is why the coach threw the white flag/hankerchief).

I think it's PROMISING YOUNG BOY. This sounds like the clip you are talking about. It was the film debut of Collin "Ngai Sing" Chou and he fights Alexander Lo in the finale. The film was made in 1987, before Best of the Best.

6f5KDpt042w

WOW!!!!!!!

how the hell did you find that??? That was super duper impressive! Thanks buddy! Have to go find the movie now!!!

Thanks A LOT!!! MADE MY DAY!!! hahahaa

WOW!!!!!!!

how the hell did you find that??? That was super duper impressive! Thanks buddy! Have to go find the movie now!!!

Thanks A LOT!!! MADE MY DAY!!! hahahaa

aka ACTION TAEKWONDO. I have a nice version of it.

AndyWayne84
I think it's PROMISING YOUNG BOY. This sounds like the clip you are talking about. It was the film debut of Collin "Ngai Sing" Chou and he fights Alexander Lo in the finale. The film was made in 1987, before Best of the Best.

6f5KDpt042w

AlbertV your impressive as hell man :)

• Like 1

Cognoscente

Imagine what the outcome of the US Best of the Best would have been if the movie was a Korean production.

Edited by Cognoscente
  • Like 2