Yellowthread Street (UK, 1990)

Karlos

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's anything like the books, there's no martial arts to speak of. The plot of the books can be boiled down to: there's a weird death/murder in the Yellowthread district that the Yellowthread Street detectives solve while dealing with one or two sub-plots involving wacky (not always wacky) criminal hi-jinks. The books are heavy on Chinese/HK customs/culture.

If memory serves, the first episode was strong and after that it was very hit and miss.

The only other episode to stick out for me was one about hostages held to ransom in a hospital, which I remember being particularly good.

I was always puzzled as to why it was never repeated at all so these youtube sightings are a rare treat.

Think one of the cops was played by the great Tzi Ma, who went on to be Sammo's nemesis in season 1 of Martial Law.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Bey mentioned this show on several comms. And about Bruce Payne being an ass to everyone, or something like that.

Yeah, sounds like Payne was off his head even then.

Hasn't he just been locked up for assault or something??

isn't Bruce Li supposed to be in episode 9?

Wow, you're right - there's a few sites saying he plays "barman".

Just skimming thru the ep on Youtube, the only barman I spotted certainly didn't look like the "real" Bruce Li but maybe I need to recheck.

If anyone gets a chance to have a look, he appears at 24:46 - 24:49.

Also, the bad guy in this ep is ROBIN SHOU!!

AND the film stock was processed at Shaw Brothers! (Less exciting, but I thought I'd give it a mention! :tongue:)

Archived