FAV HAMMER FLICKS

Guest monwobobbo

Guest monwobobbo

ok i'll be the first on this. what are everyones fav hammer films. personally i love

HORROR OF DRACULA

CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN

LEGEND OF THE 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES

VAMPIRE LOVERS

chris lee is my fav actor, can't decide between jimmy sangster and freddy francis for director.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, man, there's so many good ones...

Horror of Dracula (and most of the sequels)

Curse of Frankenstein (and most of the sequels)

Plague of the Zombies

The Reptile

Straight On 'Til Morning

The Creeping Flesh

The Devil Rides Out

...and, man, I can't even think of them all...

The Mummy would probably be my #1--it just has all the Hammer elements I like in spades.

Horror of Dracula, and Dracula--Prince of Darkness are up there for me too---great atmosphere and style. In general, I tend to prefer Hammers from 1966 or earlier. To me, when they started going heavier on the gore and sex, the Hammer films started to get cheaper and gaudier looking---I like the classic feel of their earlier ones best.

One that pleasantly surprised me was Plague of the Zombies. I really don't care for the gorier modern zombie movies, but I thought this one was vintage Hammer---really great atmosphere and tension.

Guest GerardH

I enjoyed Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires with no other than Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. I especially enjoyed the creepy feel to the film. But just as zwolf1 mentioned, Hammer made a lot of good films and their reputation is unmatched.

Gerard

Oops, my bad... Creeping Flesh is Amicus. I sometimes get Amicus mixed up with Hammer since they both tended to use Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing a lot, and shared some of the same directors. Amicus's quality even verged on Hammer's at time and the movies got pretty similar... another good film company. Not as good as Hammer, o' course, but kinda like a little brother to them... :)

Guest Carl Jones

You fellas have failed to mention one of THE best and atmospheric of the early Hammer's BRIDES OF DRACULA. I haven't seen this for years but I still think it's the tops!

Van Helsing swinging from the Windmill to create the sign of the cross! Baron Meinster had no chance!

Nuff said!

Guest GerardH

You know what, I am remembering it wrong. I watched it again and realized it wasn't him. Thanks for the correction.

Gerard

"Vampires do exist"

Yes, I agree with CJ----Brides of Dracula is definitely one of the strongest Hammers. I've got this on VHS---would love to see this on widescreen DVD.

I also liked The Gorgon a lot--very cool.

And, although it's not Hammer, Horror Express is one of my all-time favorite Cushing/Lee features.

Archived