Shaolin Temple (Fu Cheng)

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker

Is some gangsta shit, DAMN!!!!! I love everything about this movie, the history/characters/fighting style, awesome!!!! The Jet Li version has a slight higher rating on IMDB than this movie, I haven't seen it, is it the same movie/ a continuation, what?? What could be better than the 1976 version???

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my all time favourite Shaw Brothers and Fu Sheng films. Want to get the German dvd as the HK one isnt anamorphic.

Nothing to do with the Jet Li film , just the same title, Fu Sheng's more old school, Jet Li more Wushu based as you would expect. Both worth having.

Couldn't agree more, David - it's an incredible film. :bigsmile:

I had no idea there was an anamorphic DVD out there - is it easy to get and in original language?

OpiumKungFuCracker

The one on ADC is pretty cool, custom/fanmade project, not anamorphic I think.... This movie is so epic I want Tokyo Shock to release this in Enhanced version like the other Shaw Titles they've done in the past...

Hi Karlos,

The German dvd is anamorphic, Mandarin and German dubbed but with English subtitles, i have seen it on Amazon Germany but not bought it yet...apparently i have heard it might be getting a blu ray release next year in Hong Kong.

Thanks for that, David.

I really do love the film, it's a fantastic flick.

That German DVD sounds very exciting - but the blu-ray even more so!

Eastern Evil

This is the 1st movie that I saw Fu Sheng and the guy is one of the best Shaw actors ever.

From funny to fierce in a drop of a hat.

The man was unbelievable.

OpiumKungFuCracker

^ Well said, Eastern Evil.... Can't believe some people would go on to say that he wasn't a good screen fighter, I was like what the fuck yall smokin??? Fu Sheng is old skool bad ass screen fighting machine.... The comedy he brings to the movies is what sets him apart, the dude is like the Martin Lawrence of Kung Fu, hahahhaha....

MarsHarmony

Well said, very right on you guys. What is strange, is that I have the IVL dvd, and when I play it on my computer it is not anamorphic, but when I play it on my all region dvd player it is anamorphic.

Shaolin Temple is truly one of Fu Sheng's great performances and a Shaw Bros. classic.

Watched Shaolin Temple & Five Shaolin Masters again last night, introduced my son to them for the fist time. Shaolin Temple is unique as its one of the few All Star cast films of Cheng Che that didn't devolve into :tongue: (10 Tigers of Kwantung I'm talking about you!)

Shaolin Temple IVL definitely IS NOT anamorphic. Perhaps your dvd player zooms in automatically.

As much as I liked Fang Shiyu, my favorite hero was Ling Tien Yao (spelt it how I felt it... Li Yi Min). He was complaining up a storm and thought the temple was complete BS. It's like he was doing an internship at Shaolin, but everybody else had a real job. Ti Lung and co were like a whole team of guys brought in a merger. Fu Sheng, Frankie, and Chi Kuan Chun were like freelancers.

So one day Ling Tien Yao got invited into a big meeting with the boss and they told him straight up... we didn't care too much for your attitude and that's why we had you fetching so much coffee, but to be honest you're the best intern we ever had. We tell the other interns jump and no questions asked they say "how high?" You're different. you've got a mind of your own, but you still get the job done.

Anyway, he's seems like the precursor to the "mischievious" monks they cast down the line. I dig that.

Archived