Master of the flying Guillotine

Knockabout

Knockabout

Okay, so i'm very confused about the DVD releases of this fantastic movie :ooh:

Are there anyone here who got a good grasp about what's good and bad about the prints available?!?

To my knowledge there are three DVD versions released:

R1, Pathfinder, 1-disc

R1, Pathfinder, 2-disc

R4, Madman, 2-disc

The Silver Fox

I have the Pathfinder 2 disc edition.

The Good:

16/9 Letterboxed 2.35:1 widescreen

Original Mandarin(disc 1+ special features)) and English dub(disc 2) prints is the same for both

English/Spanish subs

Interviews with Wang Yu

Audio commentary

16 page booklet/still gallery/bios/trailers

The possibly Not so good:

The print is in rough shape. It shows it's age. There are specks and

print damage here and there. With that said, it is perfectly watchable and

I've seen much worse. I'm glad it has the grindhouse look-a movie like this

would suffer if it got the Celestial clean up.

Knockabout

Thanks a lot guys, still there's lot of questions :)

I've heard that the R4 version has the best picture quality of all, however, it's a cut print (?) and the music has been changed :(

Also the R1 1-disc audio commentary is much better than the one on the 2-disc set. It's not the same? Is it really that bad?

Does anyone have the exact running time and language options for all versions?

R1 1-disc

R1 2-disc print 1

R1 2-disc print 2

R4 print 1

R4 print 2

Killer Meteor

Basically,

the old Pathfinder DVD has a good print, though it is non-anamorphic.

The later Pathfinder DVD has an anmorphic print, but of lesser quality, as its a very dammaged print.

This anamorphic transfer is also on the Madman DVD. HOWEVER, they also have a very good English print as an extra. The catch? The theme music is totally missing.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
Also the R1 1-disc audio commentary is much better than the one on the 2-disc set. It's not the same? Is it really that bad?

It's been awhile since I've gone over either but here is what I have from my review from years back:

There are a couple of good Master of the Flying Guillotine R1 DVDs out there by Pathfinder. Pathfinder has a 2002 (Ultimate Edition) and 2004 (2-disc Anniversary Edition) release. The latest release is preferable because of the anamorphic video transfer, additional interviews with Jimmy Wang Yu and an insert booklet with a several goods articles including the history of the Flying Guillotine, the movie itself and one on Wang Yu. It is important to mention to extreme collectors that the commentaries are different on both disks. The first one has Wade Major and Andy Klein, the second adds Alex Luu to the mix. I was not particularly impressed by the second commentary. While they acknowledged their mistakes in the first one (such as calling this a Hong Kong film) they still did not add as much factual information as they could (name the music that was lifted instead of saying a German band) and they digressed a few too many times. While this film could use a better transfer (this is still a decent transfer and both Pathfinder versions seem to have the same quality, I just wish Criterion would pick this up; wishful bizarre thinking I know) it is great to see in a good-enough widescreen version with Mandarin dialogue.

Thanks a lot guys, still there's lot of questions :)

I've heard that the R4 version has the best picture quality of all, however, it's a cut print (?) and the music has been changed :(

Does anyone have the exact running time and language options for all versions?

R1 1-disc

R1 2-disc print 1

R1 2-disc print 2

R4 print 1

R4 print 2

The R4 contains both prints, as Killer Meteor said. If I have time on the weekend I'll get the running times for you. In regards to the languages, the uncut print is Mandarin only and the cut print features Mandarin and English soundtracks.

The Amazing Psycho Per

The only good thing I can say about the Pathfinder 2 Disc edition is that it contains linar notes written by our late friend Linn Haynes. Aside from that the print is in atrocious shape. Colours change from one scene to another sometimes bordering on giving a "film negative" effect. Maybe I'm spoiled but I found it very it very distrating. Avoid it. I hear the one disc OOP edition is much, much better.

The Silver Fox

I just re-watched the Mandarin version from the 2 disc and I have to disagree with the above. There is no way that the film print is that bad. It is 'rough' but not to the point of being unwatchable or distracting. I actually think the majority of the film looks pretty good with a few instances of print damage-nothing like what is described in the above post.

I am looking to replace my (now gone) VHS copy of this and looked it up the other day on Amazon. They have an all region PAL format DVD under the name One Armed Boxer II that might be yet another copy, I'm not sure:

http://www.amazon.com/Du-quan-wang-xue-Wang/dp/B00004W4G6/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1308772767&sr=8-9

The Amazing Psycho Per

I just browsed to my copy for the first time since i first watched it a couple years ago. While it's not as bad as my initial thought of it, it's still very bad. At least a quarter of the movie is in pretty bad shape. Lot of color flickering and fading in a strobe effect ( There should be a warning for people suffering from epilepsy:tongue:), with lots of blur, scratch and dirt. There is an apology at the begining of the disc stating that the original negative was in bad shape and they did the "best" they could. I stand by my statement, to me, this is unwatchable. By far the worst in my DVD collection. Maybe others will be more forgiving then me, I didn't endure the old VHS bootleg era. I remember my old UK "One Armed Boxer vs the Flying Guillotine" VHS to be more consistant picture quality wise. When the DVD is good it's better then the VHS, but when it's bad it's far worst.

Oh and the only other pro to the Pathfinder 2 Disc is that it's anamorphic.

The Silver Fox

Well, I guess I'm more forgiving because I was raised on VHS and perhaps I'm willing to tolerate more. With that said, I still think it looks decent. Film prints I would consider being (almost) unwatchable are Elimination Pursuit and Showdown at the Cotton mill from Rarescope. MOTFG looks WAY better than these two. The subs are pretty decent too, a couple of little typos but easy to read and a nice font.

Guest Markgway

As someone who has no interest in the international print/English dub is the Deluxe Pathfinder DVD the best edition for me? I need a progressive, anamorphic transfer. I understand the remastered print is in poor shape, but specifically what's wrong with it that is likely to affect my viewing please?

Killer Meteor
As someone who has no interest in the international print/English dub is the Deluxe Pathfinder DVD the best edition for me? I need a progressive, anamorphic transfer. I understand the remastered print is in poor shape, but specifically what's wrong with it that is likely to affect my viewing please?

It's a murky grey, has poor compression and breaks down into mei-ah like slow motion in places. the Internation version on the disc is awkwardly edited, missing some of the English dialogue scenes.

You honestly are better sticking with the 2002 disc, even though it is non-anamorphic.

Guest Markgway
It's a murky grey, has poor compression and breaks down into mei-ah like slow motion in places. the Internation version on the disc is awkwardly edited, missing some of the English dialogue scenes.

You honestly are better sticking with the 2002 disc, even though it is non-anamorphic.

I couldn't put up with letterbox.

Frankly I was only considering buying this if any DVD ticked all the boxes.

I accept that sometimes prints are damaged and that's not the fault of the distributor IF they do they're best job.

As it stands I'd rather pass.

I couldn't put up with letterbox.

Frankly I was only considering buying this if any DVD ticked all the boxes.

I accept that sometimes prints are damaged and that's not the fault of the distributor IF they do they're best job.

As it stands I'd rather pass.

I've contemplated taking the non-anamorphic 2002 DVD and restoring it further as well as converting it to anamorphic. The re-release just looks rough... very soft, muddy, flicker... not good at all. On that note...

i have the Madman release,pretty sure it's anamorphic.

...the Madman disc uses the same "remaster" for the uncut version as the Pathfinder re-release. The international English-language cut, however, is a completely different transfer, exclusive to the Madman release.

Killer Meteor
I've contemplated taking the non-anamorphic 2002 DVD and restoring it further as well as converting it to anamorphic. The re-release just looks rough... very soft, muddy, flicker... not good at all. On that note...

...the Madman disc uses the same "remaster" for the uncut version as the Pathfinder re-release. The international English-language cut, however, is a completely different transfer, exclusive to the Madman release.

The print Madman got for the International version is the best I've seen, but they had to remove the Neu music tracks.

The print Madman got for the International version is the best I've seen, but they had to remove the Neu music tracks.

True, that's the one downside to that cut. The colors are better and there's less print damage, but the black levels are a bit more "crushed".

Guest Markgway
True, that's the one downside to that cut. The colors are better and there's less print damage, but the black levels are a bit more "crushed".

...that and the fact it's missing 12 mins! :tongue:

...that and the fact it's missing 12 mins! :tongue:

Well, yeah, that too... but that seemed too obvious... yeah, I'm gonna go with that answer :wink:

Killer Meteor
Was there ever a longer English print?

Replying to myself lol, I dug out my old UK VHS, re-titled One Armed Boxer II, and you can here little jumps when the cuts come up, confirming the cutting was done to the US and UK prints after dubbing.

ShawAngela

I have both the Hoker non subbed version and the Winson subbed version and they mention 1h33mn07s of running time ; is it the right running time for an uncut version ?

Also, I just took a look to the prints and they are both very good (but I watch them on the computer, so, perhaps that it's not so good on a big screen...).

Thanks for the answer.