Charles Bronson

Guest JustAFan

Guest JustAFan

I wanted to know what the general feeling on him is. I don't have anything to say because I haven't seen any of his movies since I was younger. What do you feel about him?

Guest sevenhooks

For a really cool and often overlooked Charles Bronson flick, check out "The Mechanic". It's got Charlie as a hitman who takes a young Jan-Michael Vincent under his wing. Good, gritty 70's flick with one of the best endings EVER.

Guest harvest4

I really like his movie , some are hollywood classic.

1The great escape

2 Magnificent -7

3 Death Wish series

4 10 to Midnight

Plus a lot more, he is a hollywood legend

Guest gimpusmons

Among others, I grew up watching Bronson and Clint Eastwood in the early days of VHS rentals. Bronson was not a great actor, but consistantly played the classic anti-hero. He was gruff, unattractive, and mean. He was much like a Western Chan Sing or Lo Lieh, capable of being an everyman's tough guy. Not all of his films were great, but he starred in some of greatest action/adventure classics of all time; The Great Escape, The Dirty Dozen, and Once Upon a Time in the West.

The original Death Wish (1974) remains one of the best "modern" vigilante films, period. Bey Logan has stated, and I agree, that Bronson's films influenced some of the better '70s-era kung fu filmmakers like Chang Cheh.

Studios don't produce action stars like Bronson anymore and it's a shame. Harvey Keitel and Terence Stamp (The Limey) have carried the torch for a while. But at his best, Bronson did it better.

Mark Pollard

www.kungfucinema.com

Guest TheLimey1
Harvey Keitel and Terence Stamp (The Limey) have carried the torch for a while.

*GRIN*

Glad to hear you like The Limey, Mark, one of my favorite movies of all time. :)

Guest mcentepede

"Unsafe sex is a Death Wish...like Charles Bronson, and if ya don't believe me...then ask Magic Johnson" One of my favorite rap lines ever. EPMD's Erick Sermon said that line. I think he was a big Bronson fan too. Bronson was the best period. Like someone said, he was mean and rugged and played the anti-hero. He killed many men in the Death Wish series, and slapped around the occasional girl now and then. I liked him because he just never smiled or looked happy in his films, he had that pissed-off look all the time. And put a gun in his hands and it's all over. They just don't have guys like Bronson anymore which is too bad. Yul Brynner was another favorite. These guys are truly legends.

bronson will forever be my hero RIP

the best movies were

Death wish 3

The Mechanic

Once upon a time in the west

classic line from death wish 3

bronson is eating dinner with friends when he hears two punks breaking into his car. He calmly gets up, confronts the punks and promptly executes them bang! bang!

Bronson friend: 'We heard shots. What happened?'

Bronson: 'I sent them a message.'

Guest chingdog

Yes...a old school toughass for sure....not a candyass like most of today's stars...he made some bad films but Death wish and Mechanic are very good.....several others that are good are Magnificent Seven, Dirty Dozen, Telefon, Stone Killer....

Guest chehchangjr

Bronson is an all time fave for me as well. I actually just watched Death Wish 2 on DVD, and since 3 and 4 are released, will pick those up as well. Also happy to see mgm putting out dvds of his stuff.

A true original. I read that his tough guy persona was for real. My fave westerns are; Red Sun, Magnificent 7, and Once Upon a Time in The West. The ending to that last one rivals the ending to the Mechanic. The list of good Bronson films could go on and on; Borderline, Mr. Majestyk, Death Wish, Death Hunt, The Great Escape, (albeit a claustraphobic) etc etc. His episode in the old Twilight Zone series with Elizabeth Montgomery deserves mention too. He was a true film great. Hope he found Jesus along the way...may he rest

Guest wizard12220

I'm agree with Death Hunt. Do you know this movie was produced by Golden Harvest?

The US Laser Disc was distributed by CBS Fox if I'm not mistaken.

Waiting for the DVD release also.

Guest theblackroom

I think he's great. I own about 18 of his films and think they have a lot of replay value. I've been a fan since I was a kid and now I like him even more since I'm older. Death Wish 3 kicks pure exploitation ass. I love it!

Oh that's great to see Bronson fans here. He's a classic, but I've only seen two or three of his films. "Once upon a time in the west" is an epic. It has a nice soundtrack too.

Chinatown Kid

I've been a Bronson fan for a long time, he really had a great tough guy persona on film and made some classic films over the years. I liked just about all his films but one of my favorites is The Mechanic. It's the detailed study of a Hit Man who decides to take on a young apprentice(Jan-Michael Vincent) and teach him the tricks of the trade. Also a big fan of the Death Wish series.

BREAKOUT (1975) was one of his most successful movies. It's based on a true story and allowed Bronson to do some low key comedy. The ending features an incredibly gruesome death scene where one of the villains is obliterated by an airplane propeller and the camera doesn't cut away. One of the bloodiest scenes in a PG film I've seen.

MURPHY'S LAW (1986) and TEN TO MIDNIGHT (1983) are two faves of mine. KINJITE (1989) is also quite good. WHITE BUFFALO (1977), DEATH HUNT (1980) and the Italian crime film VIOLENT CITY (1971) are all exceptional films.

a greately underrated Bronson flick is Mr. Majestyk. Tons of action, and it literally starts with Bronson putting a shotgun in a guy's ass

Totally forgot about his version of WALKING TALL, MAJESTYK is an excellent movie. The running gag about his melon crop was funny stuff.