Paper Marriage (1986)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

I just got through watching this for the first time (I know....long overdue), so thought I'd post my thoughts!

This was made during the period where Sammo had completely moved away from period kung-fu movies, as was the trend at the time, and was in the middle of the era where he liked to mix drama & some pretty relevant social issues (for the time at least) into his movies....like 'The Own Vs Bumbo', 'Heart of the Dragon', & 'Eastern Condors'.

'Paper Marriage' deals specifically with the issue of Chinese immigrants living in Amercia (although as with 'Rumble in the Bronx', it's actually Canada trying to be passed off as America), and the first half of the movie is actually mostly serious with a little comedy thrown in here and there. Neither of the lead characters are leading particularly happy lives, Sammo is heavily in debt and divorced due to gambling, and Maggie Cheung (who has never looked cuter) has a fiance who simply ups and abandons her, leaving her alone in a foreign country.

The second half though brings several laugh out loud moments, as well as some, as expected, blistering 80's Sammo style action. Pretty much bang on the half way point of the movie, we get Sammo Vs Ko Fei in a boxing match, followed by Sammo vs Billy Chow in a Thai kickboxing match, topped off with Maggie Cheung indulging in some (traumatic) mud wrestling. Having recently got most of my action kicks from Thai cinema, where story is strictly secondary, I'd forgotten how much more you feel invested in a fight when the characters have something to lose or significant motivation. During the match with Billy Chow I was actually on the edge of my seat, through a combination of not just the choreography, but also how much was riding on the fight, good film-making.

From here the movie moves at a brisk pace, all heading for an awesome finale in a shopping mall / water park (possibly influenced by 'Police Story' made a year before?), with Sammo, Maggie Cheung, & Billy Chow teaming up to take on a group of gangsters headed by Dick Wei, who looks as fierce as ever. Although it doesn't have Sammo sliding down a pole, he does do a pretty jaw dropping fall through a second storey glass window, bounces off the top of a canopy, and onto the floor of a swimming pool...it looks painful. There are a heap more wince inducing falls to enjoy, as well as some great kicking from Billy Chow, all in all, for anyone that hasn't checked this out yet (I'm well aware that may be nobody!), it's well worth a look.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd forgotten how much more you feel invested in a fight when the characters have something to lose or significant motivation. During the match with Billy Chow I was actually on the edge of my seat, through a combination of not just the choreography, but also how much was riding on the fight, good film-making.

That's how I like it. Action in correlation to stories/characters that you care about.

Paper Marriage is good as a movie but as far as this type of film is considered, I prefer Heart Of The Dragon and Pedicab Driver as Sammo had complete control over everything.

ShaOW!linDude

Love this movie. My only qualm with it is that Sammo spends most of the end fight trying not to fight but to simply get away. I mean...come on! I just didn't get that. But you're right about one thing....Billy Chow is throwing down in this and Sammo's few fights and stunt work are top notch.

Archived