Death Grip - New Stunt People Movie!

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Taken from KFC's main page, although I have to give credit where it's due and say it was actually fellow forum member ShaOW!linDude who first pointed me in the direction of this news. -

It’s been nearly six years since Eric Jacobus and fellow members of San Francisco-area stunt team The Stunt People produced their first feature-length indie actioner CONTOUR to much acclaim from a niche cadre of diehard fans of high-impact, Hong Kong-style screen fighting. Now the team is returning with a new action film and a new attitude.

Currently in pre-production is DEATH GRIP, a film that The Stunt People founder and lead member Eric Jacobus confidently claims will be his “official CONTOUR killer.” Jacobus will direct, choreograph action and star in the production which is based off his original script.

Lowly caterer Kenny Zemacus (Jacobus) finds himself unexpectedly forced to care for his long-forgotten, mentally disabled brother Mark. Tasked with a high-profile museum catering gig, Kenny reluctantly brings Mark along, who becomes captivated by the museum’s showpiece – the world-renowned Sacred Coin of Judas. Mark’s childlike fascination unwittingly entangles the two brothers in an elaborate heist already underway to steal the coin, incidentally pinning the crime on them. Now Kenny must descend into a dark world of militant guerrillas and a murderous Satanic cult to clear their names and save his brother from the coin’s mysterious allure. But little does Kenny know the depths of his own hell he must confront along the way… and how deadly the coin’s grasp can be.

Also starring is producer and assistant director Rebecca Ahn and Nathan Hoskins with supporting roles filled by co-producer and cinematographer Edward Kahana Jr., Chelsea Steffensen, Ray Carbonel, Alvin Hsing, Lucas Okuma, Troy Carbonel, Steve Yu, Dave Yoo, Erika Balasabas, and Shaun Finney.

While no teaser is yet available, The Stunt People recently released a short film that hints at the style of fight choreography we can expect to see in the upcoming feature. HAND OVER FIST pits Jacobus against fellow stunt fighter Hiroshi Adachi in a sequence inspired by the high-impact fight choreography in the Jackie Chan classic WHEELS ON MEALS. The short was directed by Pete Lee and Eric Jacobus.

HS0fw2uk948

Any news of a full feature length movie from the Stunt People is news to rejoice for most kung-fu fans, these guys know their stuff, & 'Contour' was simply martial arts bliss, thanks in no small part (in my opinion) to Eric Jacobus, who had full control of the production from directing, writing, starring, all the way down to playing masked extras getting clobbered by baseball bats and taking falls.

I purchased their follow up 'Detective Story' which starred both Jacobus & Hiroshi Adachi (also featured in the short film 'Hand Over Fist'), and while it had a blistering finale, for me the overall production lacked the energy and balls to the wall feel that 'Contour' had. Jacobus sounds like he knows what he has to do with 'Death Grip', so I'm confident, although sad to see Andy Leung (Lei Tak from 'Contour') not in the cast list. It would be great if the unused footage from 'Beat Down Boogie', which seems to have gone into production limbo, could make it into this movie, because what was there was excellent.

On a side note, another reason to rejoice, for long time fans of this site at least, is that the article from the main page was written by the long missing in action site founder Mark Pollard. Great to see him back! It was Mark's reviews and constant kung-fu movie news updates that helped me break into the genre many years ago, and since his absence from the site it has become little more than endless reviews of old American martial arts B-movies, and fan-boy like reviews of the latest releases, with signifcantly less in the way of movie news. KFC used to be THE place to get kung-fu movie news first, but lately even the smaller sites beat KFC to the punch, I hope this article marks a permanent return for Mark to the site.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
blue_skies
Taken from KFC's main page, although I have to give credit where it's due and say it was actually fellow forum member ShaOW!linDude who first pointed me in the direction of this news. -

Any news of a full feature length movie from the Stunt People is news to rejoice for most kung-fu fans, these guys know their stuff, & 'Contour' was simply martial arts bliss, thanks in no small part (in my opinion) to Eric Jacobus, who had full control of the production from directing, writing, starring, all the way down to playing masked extras getting clobbered by baseball bats and taking falls.

I purchased their follow up 'Detective Story' which starred both Jacobus & Hiroshi Adachi (also featured in the short film 'Hand Over Fist'), and while it had a blistering finale, for me the overall production lacked the energy and balls to the wall feel that 'Contour' had. Jacobus sounds like he knows what he has to do with 'Death Grip', so I'm confident, although sad to see Andy Leung (Lei Tak from 'Contour') not in the cast list. It would be great if the unused footage from 'Beat Down Boogie', which seems to have gone into production limbo, could make it into this movie, because what was there was excellent.

On a side note, another reason to rejoice, for long time fans of this site at least, is that the article from the main page was written by the long missing in action site founder Mark Pollard. Great to see him back! It was Mark's reviews and constant kung-fu movie news updates that helped me break into the genre many years ago, and since his absence from the site it has become little more than endless reviews of old American martial arts B-movies, and fan-boy like reviews of the latest releases, with signifcantly less in the way of movie news. KFC used to be THE place to get kung-fu movie news first, but lately even the smaller sites beat KFC to the punch, I hope this article marks a permanent return for Mark to the site.

That's great news about their next movie and heard by can soon catch up on my other films as well as this new one in pre-production!

I have to agree it's fantastic news that Mark is back! I must admit I have stopped looking at the news section of the site since there's so few updates these days. I look forward to reading any future articles or reviews that Mark decides to write .

Archived