Drunken Master - Ultimate Version

kaleyboy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

@Daigoro, you're like a human google... So many references so little time, great post!!!

heres a lil clip i did from the different version of the NEW Ultimate edition

HAHAHA!!! That's great!

I disagree. HKL is definitely overrated. For some reason the french just know how to do it right, usually all the way down to

the artwork.

The digipacs are absolutely wonderful. The Gosha sets are some of the most beautiful things ever manufactured. But as long as transfers go, I think they are inferior to what many other companies are releasing. I wish all the Gosha films had gone to Wild Side Video, who did much better transfers.

The thing I hate about HK Video is that almost all of their transfers are overly blue, and often too bright. Characters look like they're either seasick (blue), or have a nuclear reactor in their forehead (overly bright and white).

A few examples:

Sword of the Beast

Criterion on the left, HK Video on the right.

HKVC1.jpgHKVC2.jpg

Contrast explosion on HK Video. Both bright and dark areas lose all detail.

Sister Street Fighter

Toei on the left, HK Video on the right

HKVC3.jpgHKVC4.jpg

Bin Amatsu looks like he had a very bad cigar and turned blue

Kagero.

R2J Emotion on the left, HK Video on the right

HKVC5.jpgHKVC6.jpg

Same as before, seasickess hits the characters

Female Prisoner 701: Scorpion

Media Blasters on the left, HK Video on the right

HKVC7.jpgHKVC8.jpg

Here we have both contast explosion and blueness

Anyway, sorry for going offtopic. HK Video's Drunken Master indeed provides the best audio. It would be interesting to see how the transfer compares to other dvds. I did use to own Columbia and Mei Ah also, and I'm almost certain I preferred those transfers, but I sold them maybe 6 years ago and never took screencaptures...

EDIT: I looked up some old info I had written elsewhere years ago, and according to me (:tongue:) the Cantonese audio on the Mei Ah disc was a combination of Cantonese, Mandarin and English tracks. English track was used in some non-dialogue scenes. This makes me wonder if that was actually the same track as Columbia, but with the missing dialogue scenes taken from a Mandarin track instead of English track... In either case, thank God HK Video got the audio right.

I must chip in to say something. First of all, well done to beating me to do this. Over the past 2 years this was initially my project until I had family problems interrrupting me here and there and I was made aware that my efforts could be stolen by bootleggers and realising no-one would pay (a small amount) for it as well (yes, I was going full out, I have yet to demonstrate!).

But really, well done, I will try to check this out but I in my opinion, I would cool this the 'Ultimate Version' :D

Son Of A Gun

I totally agree Takuma, the HK Video prints are nothing special. Nearly always contrast boosted to the max losing lots of detail and purple tinge or blue tinge to alot of scenes. Also saturation drained aswell.

The Sony dvd print of Drunken Master is a bit nicer looking than the HK Video print, quality-wise and colours. For my Drunken Master ultimate edition I'm planning to use the Sony/Columbia print but insert the chinese credits from the HK Video print.

And damn, the Snake in the Eagle's Shadow is cropped on the Columbia disc! I was gonna use this version to make my custom. Thanks for pointing this out.

Hey Kaleyboy.......I haven't been posting as much as I should...but I had to comment on this....I can't believe you would go through the trouble of making the ulitmate version of Drunken Master and putting out for free to those who love the movie!! Is there something wrong with you??? :tongue: Of courese I'm kidding...awesome work man...this is something I've been waiting for and when Kung Fu Bob gets excited over your work...I know it's the best quality out there!!

Keep up the good work you have many of us that truly appreciate your time and technical expertise to bring us ULTIMATE versions of our favorite films!!!

Hey Kaleyboy.......I haven't been posting as much as I should...but I had to comment on this....I can't believe you would go through the trouble of making the ulitmate version of Drunken Master and putting out for free to those who love the movie!! Is there something wrong with you??? :tongue: Of courese I'm kidding...awesome work man...this is something I've been waiting for and when Kung Fu Bob gets excited over your work...I know it's the best quality out there!!

Keep up the good work you have many of us that truly appreciate your time and technical expertise to bring us ULTIMATE versions of our favorite films!!!

Thanks for the kind words, mate. I hope you enjoy this and SITMS. Let me know what you think when you've watched them.

Guest WuxiaFan

Just want to echo what my good friends, gorhama and KUNG FU BOB, have to say. You're truly an awesome guy to work on this and put it out there for the rest of us to enjoy. I can't say many other folks on the Forum would do that!

For me, all I can say is THANK YOU, my friend!

:yociexp85:

Thanks for the kind words, mate. I hope you enjoy this and SITMS. Let me know what you think when you've watched them.

I'll be sure to let you know when I finally get to watch them!!

Thanks again bro!!!

Hasimir Fenring

I'll have to have a look for this when I get a new hard drive. I was waiting for the HKL 2-disc reissues of this and Snake so I could replace my HKL VHS copies, as they were supposed to have the correct ratio (and the Hwang Jang Lee interview I was eagerly awaiting), but they never appeared. Never understood why they cropped them; anyone who's seen the Taiwanese Drunken Master II DVD can probably understand why even a crop from 2.35 to 1.78 is a bad thing (won't even go into cropping to 1.33...).

Archived