Drunken Master - Ultimate Version

kaleyboy

This is one of my favourite old school classics, so making this ultimate version was a labour of love. I've taken the French DVD with Cantonese audio, to which I've added custom Mandarin audio (from the HKL DVD), English dub audio (from the HKL DVD), and the original Rank VHS English dub audio (all synced to the French print using Sony Vegas). Finally, I found English subtitles on the internet and I re-timed them to match the French print. The finished result is Drunken Master (2:35:1) remastered, with four audio tracks and removeable English subtitles (in both white & yellow colours).

This is a totally free project, and can be obtained from ADC. Enjoy!

drunkenmasterfrench.jpg

vlcsnap2011052716h19m53.png

vlcsnap2011052716h20m11.png

vlcsnap2011052716h22m12.png

vlcsnap2011052716h22m24.png

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nerd:

Finally, the perfect version. Thanks bro! :bigsmile:

Looks and sounds amazing! But what is ADC? Pardon my ignorance :P

I sent you a PM explaining it.

gwailosforever

Souds fantastic..... but could you also let me know what ADC is please? Thanks

Souds fantastic..... but could you also let me know what ADC is please? Thanks

Okay, for eveyone who needs to know what ADC is, it stands for Asian DVD Club. Use google to find it.

wigsplitta

Awesome work dude. You've made AT LEAST one person very happy indeed! :xd:

Many thanks

BTW - what's this ADC thingy all about!!! LOL

David Rees
Okay, for eveyone who needs to know what ADC is, it stands for Asian DVD Club. Use google to find it.

:squigglemouth:

:tinysmile_angry2_t:

Except for the different audio tracks, what differs in the actual version of the film? Longer/shorter than the HKL DVD version?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Except for the different audio tracks, what differs in the actual version of the film? Longer/shorter than the HKL DVD version?

The running time is probably the same, but the HKL's version was letterboxed at 1:85:1, not the correct 2:35:1. :ooh: If you don't understand techno talk for aspect ratios, that basically means that a nice chunk of the image was missing from the picture on both the right and left sides. It wasn't letterboxed properly, which was quite a shocker coming from the beloved HKL. Perhaps because it was one of their early releases? But I digress... Plus, the French are reknowned for their beautiful looking DVD prints of classic kung fu, and that's where this print comes from. :bigsmile: Look at the difference in the screencaps he posted. This version is gorgeous!

This film had more than one English dub when it was released. The one that most fans remember and love, and IMHO the best English dub- which Kaleyboy has hooked up here- has not been available on any DVD before, only on a very rare VHS. So that is reason for many of us to cheer! :nerd: I'm primarily a subtitle guy, but along with THE STREETFIGHTER, this is one of my favorites that I like to watch dubbed.

In addition, all the different language tracks that should be there- Mandarin and Cantonese (and German)- are there. The choice of both yellow or white subs (that Kaleyboy started doing a while back) are awesome, and I gotta say- I love it!

Anyway, this is the DVD release that HLK, Columbia, and all of these other DVD distributors should've put out. A freaking gift for all of us fans! Thank you KB! :wink:

HK Video is hugely over-rated in terms of transfers, IMO. They do a bit better with HK films, but especially their JP movie transfers leave a lot to be desired. Their Drunken Master transfer isn't all that great, either. Usually HKL did better than HK Video as far as transfers went. Drunken Master was an exception of course, because of the aspect ratio fuck up.

But it's a god's gift for sure, for having the complete Cantonese audio. The Columbia disc uses English audio in some scenes, including dialogue scenes as well as some fight scenes (so you got these ugh, argh -sounds from the English audio, which also in general terms sounded very different from the Cantonese track). The Mei Ah disc used Mandarin audio in these scenes, plus was cut (also beyond those parts that you could "restore" when the button appeared).

Both discs were driving me crazy. So it's really thanks to HK Video I'm not in a mental institute right now...

First, kaleyboy, appreciate you offering this - and free at that. Very cool.

Curious, has anyone actually been able to download this yet?

There's about 50 people, myself included, stuck around 67-68%.

Several of whom have been connected for more than 24 hours.

Thanks....

OpiumKungFuCracker
First, kaleyboy, appreciate you offering this - and free at that. Very cool.

Curious, has anyone actually been able to download this yet?

There's about 50 people, myself included, stuck around 67-68%.

Several of whom have been connected for more than 24 hours.

Thanks....

Yeah same here, stuck,stuck..... Has anyone downloaded this completely and if so, SEED..............:tongue:

Well, the only person who can seed the whole movie is the one with all the files - that's myself only. So I have to seed the whole thing until someone else completes a download. Currently my upload speed is capped at 75kb/s, and seeing as this is a 6.88GB DVD, seeding will take a while to complete. I'd advise everyone to be patient, this will complete sometime tomorrow. I guarantee that the relatively short time it takes you to download it is nothing compared to how long it took me to create it. Be patient and you will have the whole film soon. If anyone doesn't understand how BT works, the internet has many FAQs. Also, I don't run my PC 24/7, I run it from morning til night, so seeding can only happen during those hours. If anyone is unhappy with my upload speed, feel free to pay for me to get optic fibre broadband and it'll be much faster:tongue:. Any takers? Didn't think so:xd::bigsmile:.

Thx for the quick reply. I sort of guessed that was the situation but your response confirms this. 71% now :tongue:

Wow, awesome man!

I was lamenting today that I've been watching the Panmedia version of this (because it has complete Cantonese audio and English subs) but the English subs are bad, it has the wrong The End credits and is missing the Seasonal Films intro.

I love HK Video prints, :nerd:

I don't think any company pays as much attention to the details concerning the quality of prints released. I remember the day

i was comparing the prints of the BCI and Toei Region 2 Sister Street fighter release thinking what a remarkable difference in

quality, but when i compared the Toei release to the HK Video print i could not believe how much better it was :tongue:. Actually,

i reccomend this release, but if you like this release there are lot's of HK Video DVD out there with custom subtitles available

FOR FREE :angel:. Here are some other notable releases with Custom Subtitles. The ones marked bold do not have subtitles yet!

JAPANESE

Bandits vs. Samurai Squad 雲霧仁左衛門 (1978) (HK Video) (Custom Subbed) (GOSHA Hideo) French Print PAL DVD-9

Branded to Kill 殺しの烙印 (HK Video) (1967) (Custom Subbed) (SUZUKI Seijun) French Print PAL DVD-9

Cash Calls Hell 五匹の紳士 (1966) (HK Video) (Custom Subbed) (GOSHA Hideo) French Print PAL DVD-9

Death Shadows 十手舞 (1986) (HK Video) (Custom Subbed) (GOSHA Hideo) French Print PAL DVD-9

Killing Machine 少林寺拳法 (1975) (HK Video) French Print (SHIHOMI Etsuko, SUZUKI Norifumi) NEO PAL DVD-9

Oil Hell Murder 女殺油地獄 (1992) (HK Video France) (Custom Subbed) (GOSHA Hideo) DVD-9 PAL

Orgies of Edo 残酷異常虐待物語 元禄女系図 (1969) (HK Video) (ISHII Teruo) (Custom Subbed) DVD-9

Samurai Wolf 牙狼之介 東映京都 (1966) (HK Video) (Custom Subbed) (GOSHA Hideo) French Print PAL DVD-9

Samurai Wolf 2 牙狼之介 地獄斬り 東映京都 (1967) (HK Video) (Custom Subbed) (GOSHA Hideo) French Print PAL DVD-9

Shogun's Samurai: The Yagyu Clan Conspiracy 柳生一族の陰謀 (1978) (HK Video) French Print (CHIBA Sonny, SHIHOMI Etsuko) DVD-9

Shogun's Shadow 将軍家光の乱心 激突 (1989) (HK Video) (Custom Subbed) (CHIBA Sonny) French Print PAL DVD-9

Street Fighter 激突!殺人拳 (1974) (HK Video) NEO DVD-9 PAL IOMEGA-1

Return of the Street Fighter 殺人拳2 (1974) (HK Video) NEO DVD-9 PAL IOMEGA-1

Sister Street Fighter 女必殺拳 (1974) (HK Video) NEO DVD-9 PAL IOMEGA-1

Street Fighter’s Last Revenge 逆襲!殺人拳 (1974) (HK Video) NEO DVD-9 PAL IOMEGA-1

Tange Sazen: Secret of the Urn 丹下左膳餘話 百萬両の壺 (1966) (HK Video) (Custom Subbed) French Print PAL DVD-9

Three Outlaw Samurai 三匹の侍 (1964) (HK Video) (Custom Subbed) (GOSHA Hideo) French Print PAL DVD-9

Violent Streets 暴力街 (1974) (HK Video) (Custom Subbed) (GOSHA Hideo) French Print PAL DVD-9

CHINESE

Butterfly Murders, The 蝶變 (1979) (HK Video) French Print NEO PAL DVD-9 IO

Dragon Tamers, The 女子跆拳群英會 (1975) (HK Video) French Print NEO PAL DVD-9

Encounters of the Spooky Kind 2 (1990) (HK Video) (Custom Subbed) R2FR

Fate of Lee Khan 迎春閣之風波 (1973) (HK Video) French Print NEO PAL DVD-9 IO

Fong Sai-Yuk 方世玉 (1993) (HK Video) (Custom Subbed)

Knockabout 雜家小子 (1979) (HK Video) (Sammo Hung) French Print NEO PAL DVD-9

Magnificent Butcher 林世榮 (1979) (HK Video) (Sammo Hung) French Print NEO PAL DVD-9

On the Run 亡命鴛鴦 (1988) (HK Video) (Custom Subbed) PAL DVD-9

Young Dragons, The 鐵漢柔情 (1974) (HK Video) (Enhanced Print + Custom Subbed) French Print PAL DVD-9

Lovers, The 梁祝 (1994) (HK Video France) (Custom Subbed) DVD-9

Phantom Lover 夜半歌聲 (1995) (HK Video) (Custom Subbed) DVD-9

Red to Kill 弱殺 (HK Video) (Custom Subbed) French Print PAL DVD-9

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow 蛇形刁手 (1978) (HKV Print • HKL Menu) (Uncut + Multi Subs/Audio) French Print PAL DVD-9

Witch from Nepal 奇緣 (1985) (HK Video) French Print NEO PAL DVD-9 IO

HK Video is hugely over-rated in terms of transfers, IMO. They do a bit better with HK films, but especially their JP movie transfers leave a lot to be desired. Their Drunken Master transfer isn't all that great, either. Usually HKL did better than HK Video as far as transfers went. Drunken Master was an exception of course, because of the aspect ratio fuck up.

I disagree. HKL is definitely overrated. For some reason the french just know how to do it right, usually all the way down to

the artwork. I'm not sure to specifics why the print for Sony's Snake in the Eagles Shadow was cropped, HK Videos wasn't.

Clearly it's a different print than the original HK print used in the HK Video release, but still why?

HK VIDEO - FRENCH RELEASE

SIESHKV.jpg

SONY - HORIZONTALLY / VERTICALLY CROPPED

SIESSONY.jpg

Archived