Gordon Liu * Chen Kuan Tai * South Florida * Sept 17, 2011

teako170

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like there were a lot of good kung fu representatives there!:

axC4O8fWXYo

Click onto the guy's youtube channel of the video above for a load of performance videos from the event.

• Administrator

I knew we could count on you for some cool pics dude! :bigsmile: Very nice. Sifu Chen looks good for a guy pushing 68. And you cats saw him doing a sword form in person. What a sight that must have been... :nerd:

Shaolin Chamber 36

Thank you so much for sharing the pics Tosh. I only wish I could of been there, what a chance of a lifetime to meet some true legends!!

Some of the most memorable roles Chen Kuan Tai has played, definitely the SB classic 'The Master', and then him playing the bad-ass bad guy in 'Return of the Bastard Swordsman'.

He sure looks great.

Couple pics of the event and the man himself, very cool to meet Chen Kuan Tai and hang out with Jesse Smooth again.

teako_fb.jpg

He is a really nice guy as well very down to earth. I drove him around a bit and he liked my car.

"Cruisin' with Chen"

Nice.... :smile2:

Thank you so much for sharing the pics Tosh. I only wish I could of been there, what a chance of a lifetime to meet some true legends!!

Some of the most memorable roles Chen Kuan Tai has played, definitely the SB classic 'The Master', and then him playing the bad-ass bad guy in 'Return of the Bastard Swordsman'.

He sure looks great.

Just surreal man! :bigsmile:

• Administrator
He is a really nice guy as well very down to earth. I drove him around a bit and he liked my car.

Hey man, that sounds very interesting. Can you tell us how this happened... any details? Were you employed in some fashion for the event? I'd love to hear about this.

I have been an instructor with the school for a long time and I know Sifu Chow Keurng and have trained with him in the past. We have a good relationship with them. I took them to lunch one of the days and we all went to dinner just about every night. They are both just normal guys and very easy to talk to if your Cantonese is okay that is. :tongue:

crazedjustice888

MY SIFU WAS THERE!!! My sifu's name is David Chin, in the video when he is introducing people, he is one of the people that stands.

I wish I could have gone, but being a poor college student won't allow that...your lucky you met Chen Kuan Tai and its a shame Gordon Liu couldn't go.

• Administrator
I have been an instructor with the school for a long time and I know Sifu Chow Keurng and have trained with him in the past. We have a good relationship with them. I took them to lunch one of the days and we all went to dinner just about every night. They are both just normal guys and very easy to talk to if your Cantonese is okay that is. :tongue:

Cool. Thanks for sharing bro.

MY SIFU WAS THERE!!! My sifu's name is David Chin, in the video when he is introducing people, he is one of the people that stands.

I wish I could have gone, but being a poor college student won't allow that...your lucky you met Chen Kuan Tai and its a shame Gordon Liu couldn't go.

Sorry to hear that you couldn't make it there man. Are you still training with him?

Your sifu is a good guy and Chris is awesome. He was really funny afterwards at the banquet dinner.

I love hearing about masters that are gentlemen. There are some macho knuckleheads out there that give the arts a bad name. These kinds of teachers that you guys are talking about are passing along the true spirit of the martial arts (... that's it's not about kicking someone's ass. LOL).

@Yes, they are indeed gentlemen - Gordon Liu and Chen Kuan Tai! Met both of them this year in Amsterdam! Perhaps Chen Kuan Tai keeps a little bit more the distance than Gordon Liu. But they are really really nice guys! :angel:

crazedjustice888

Sorry to hear that you couldn't make it there man. Are you still training with him?

Hahahaha, OH YEAH!!! Every Tuesday and Thursday I learn from him. He is my hero and I am training to one day become a disciple of his if he ever views me as good enough that is...:tongue:

Its all good, I'm a poor college student and even though Sifu wanted me to go with him, he understood I couldn't afford it.

Your sifu is a good guy and Chris is awesome. He was really funny afterwards at the banquet dinner.

Oh yeah, My sifu and Chris can't stop joking around until its training time. I remember going with them to TX for a tournament...man we were laughing the entire time unless one of us was fighting. Thanks for the compliments.

• Administrator
Hey - you found my poster! Thought I had lost that at the airport. :tongue:

Yeah, the one you were holding for me T! :angel: Get that back to me ASAP okay? :wink:

Nice pics Jesse. I love that poster. The shot with CKT spattered with blood, yet holding his gal in a tender, romantic manner is priceless. :smile:

Yeah, the one you were holding for me T! :angel: Get that back to me ASAP okay? :wink:

Nice pics Jesse. I love that poster. The shot with CKT spattered with blood, yet holding his gal in a tender, romantic manner is priceless. :smile:

When I pulled it out, he had a surprised look on his face, yet was eager to sign it.

Don't worry, I'll still edit my video footage of CKT giving his speech. Busy working to pay back the days given to me to make the event (one more Saturday to go). What's sad is that in many kung fu schools today, the instruction is so poor (in many cases don't even teach the self defense part or sparring: one topic the MMA meatheads love to dispute) that it in itself gives Chinese Martial Arts a bad name. Many of the performers were actually good. Seeing CKT and Chow Keung perform makes one want to study kung fu. Sadly, today's society don't permit one to get the complete understanding of the art and philosophy.

That's really not true...you have to find the right school and sifu and put in the time.

I should have phrased it differently. Having to find a good school with good instruction. Many people don't have the or want to take the time to put into it. Just these days a lot of bad schools are out there.

I agree 100%. Most people don't want to put in the time and effort anymore. I was one of the performers and I have been at this for 17 years and have noticed a change in students over the years. There is good kung fu out there people just have to be willing to put in hard work.

Archived