Bruce Lee Blu ray and DVDs

Fanboy1991

Fanboy1991

What are the best versions of Bruce Lee's Films I just bought the blu ray set but am not sure if thats the best version. Was Bruce lee dubbed in all versions of his films like the big boss ?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OldPangYau

In regards to visual presentation, the blu-rays are the best release. Hell, they seem to be the only Fortune Star-based Kam and Ronson blu-rays that are in true HD and not upconverts.

However, in regards to audio quality... the blu-rays are the worst :squigglemouth: You can thank the 7.1 remixes with muffled dialogue and haphazardly placed new sound effects for that.

For the best Cantonese and Mandarin mono tracks, try to find the American Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection box set. Big Boss, Fist of Fury, and Way of the Dragon all have proper Cantonese/Mandarin mono tracks. However, their English dubs (if you're worried about those) are improper remixes with forced added sound effects (in the case of The Big Boss, music from the Cantonese version has snuck in onto the English track). Also, this set seems harder to find now, as Fox has replaced it with a three pack that only has Big Boss, Way of the Dragon, and Game of Death.

And yes, Bruce was dubbed in all films but Enter the Dragon. Cantonese was what he spoke, but Mandarin is considered to be the "proper" language track for BB, FOF, and WOTD (especially since the rest of the cast would speak Mandarin).

Fanboy1991

Thanks For the info OldPangYau. Was he dubbed in the Cantonese tracks as well like is someone else providing his voice for The Big Boss and Way of the Dragon.

OldPangYau
Thanks For the info OldPangYau. Was he dubbed in the Cantonese tracks as well like is someone else providing his voice for The Big Boss and Way of the Dragon.

Yeah, I think actors, at the time, were forced to have other people do their voices. Most likely for union reasons. I remember there being some legal backlash when Stanley Tong and Jackie Chan decided to try something new and film Police Story III: Supercop with *gasp* actual on set sound. It wasn't until mid/late '94, I believe, that on-set sound became the norm for HK films (see Rumble in the Bronx).

*THAT* being said, someone else dubs Lee's voice in all of his films. Ironically, Lee stepped up to dub a few English voices, such as Bob Baker in the Cantonese and Mandarin versions of Fist of Fury ("Let me take care of him...), and a couple of lines of the boss in the Cantonese and Mandarin versions of Way of the Dragon ("Take him out, but be careful with the gun in public").

The Dragon

... *THAT* being said, someone else dubs Lee's voice in all of his films. Ironically, Lee stepped up to dub a few English voices, such as Bob Baker in the Cantonese and Mandarin versions of Fist of Fury ("Let me take care of him...), and a couple of lines of the boss in the Cantonese and Mandarin versions of Way of the Dragon ("Take him out, but be careful with the gun in public").

What about, "We're not gonna fall for the banana in the tail pipe."?

:angel:

Oh-wrong movie.

:bigsmile:

David Rees

I avoided the HK Blu rays because of the messed up sound, truly spoils the films if you know them well. Why not also have a mono option, theres enough room on a blu ray disc!

The set was released in Japan (no English subs), but i presume it has the same problem as i have not read any reviews anywhere.

Guest WuxiaFan

Here's more explanation on why you don't hear Bruce's voice in his movies other than in ENTER THE DRAGON. I copied this from the late HKFlix:

A lot of people ask where they can get Bruce Lee films with his original voice. The short answer is that out of the four major movies he completed (He died during production of "Game Of Death"), the only one that featured his voice was ENTER THE DRAGON (USA version only), where he did a few bits of English dialog. He also did Bob Baker's voice in "Fist Of Fury" (on some dubbed versions). Bruce also did the war cries (screams) on most Mandarin dubs of "Fist Of Fury" and "Way Of The Dragon".

Why wasn't Bruce's voice on his movies with the few exceptions above? Like practically all Chinese movies during this time, actor's voice was not recorded during filming. This was done for several reasons:

1. Cost. It is much cheaper to film action with out sound, then to go back and fill in the dialogue later. Chinese films during this time were all done on a miniscule budget.

2. Most actors in Hong Kong, including Bruce, did not speak Mandarin. The primary market for these films was the Mandarin language market.

3. Creating a dub is an art much like acting is an art. Bruce, like most other actors didn't have any experience sitting down in a sound studio and making a dub. That's why he didn't do his own dubs.

For me, I wasn't as concerned about the audio track since I wasn't hearing Bruce's voice in his first 4 films. I wanted the best remastered uncut print, Bey Logan's audio commentary, and special features. So, IMHO, the best versions are the individual UK HKL Platinum 2-Disc DVD versions. On my Oppo 983 player, they look phenomenal and I would put them up against any BR version.

They are OOP, but you can get used versions on amazon.uk or ebay. Some are still available new at Australia's chaos.com (R4 PAL). To compare all versions, go to dvdcompare.net.

http://dvdcompare.net/index.php

:smile:

Archived