Remake of BLOODSPORT by "Salt" director Philip Noyce?

mpm74

hope it`s better than the sequals, they were painful to watch.:tinysmile_angry2_t:

Besides the 4th one, I thought the sequals were pretty good. Daniel was very talented.

Besides the 4th one, I thought the sequals were pretty good. Daniel was very talented.

I agree, they were pretty entertainig. DARK KUMITE (part 4) is awful though (like you said).

ShaOW!linDude
hope it`s better than the sequals, they were painful to watch.:tinysmile_angry2_t:

I actually liked 'em. I think Daniel Bernhardt is a better MA than JCVD, too, but that's me.

"Haf a day" is probably pretty good for a final fight at the time. Some final fights nowadays seems like it took them only 3 - 4 hrs to shoot seeing as they're so short.

I actually liked 'em. I think Daniel Bernhardt is a better MA than JCVD, too, but that's me.

"Haf a day" is probably pretty good for a final fight at the time. Some final fights nowadays seems like it took them only 3 - 4 hrs to shoot seeing as they're so short.

I agree. Daniels fights were much better and more interesting than Van Damme's. And I always thought the more time put in, the better the fight should be. Jackie Chan took like a month for Drunken Master 2 and look how awesome that final fight turned out.

daisho2004

OK Why Just tell me why! I really enjoyed the Original Blood Sport. Why do we need another remake of this movie, every other movie that comes out is about underground fighting!

ShaOW!linDude
OK Why Just tell me why! I really enjoyed the Original Blood Sport. Why do we need another remake of this movie, every other movie that comes out is about underground fighting!

Because all films must be infected by the Reboot Bug!:tongue:

You will assimilate! (Sorry, wrong genre.)

The fact is, we don't need a remake of this. Your point is valid. The only reason I can think of is that it has an established fanbase and it's a recognizable title. I think (and I may be wrong on this) that "Bloodsport" was the 1st film to introduce the underground MA tournament premise. (I stress the MA 'cause there may be films prior to it that dealt with underground bare-knuckle fighting.) Everybody was, like, "COOL!" Then as you stated, almost every other film used that as the plot of the film for MA fights be they set in the past, present, or future. The idea was bankable but that teat is dry now.

Guest Markgway

I don't think JCVD was bragging that it was a good idea to shoot a final fight in a few hours, rather that they achieved one as good as it was in only a few hours.

dionbrother

The original was lame, there is more talent behind the camera on this remake, so I'll give it a shot. Can't believe anybody regards that lame Cannon Film I saw in an empty theater opening night 13 years ago as some classic. Now if they remade LIONHEART, I might take issue!

Dux is such a phony, I can't wait to see how he exaggerates his career-making hoax this time around.

The original was lame, there is more talent behind the camera on this remake, so I'll give it a shot. Can't believe anybody regards that lame Cannon Film I saw in an empty theater opening night 13 years ago as some classic. Now if they remade LIONHEART, I might take issue!

Dux is such a phony, I can't wait to see how he exaggerates his career-making hoax this time around.

You gonna get killed.

I agree though!

ShaOW!linDude

Really? You guys prefer LIONHEART over BLOODSPORT?

To me, the end fights are no comparison. JCVD vs Bolo as opposed to JCVD vs. Michael Qissi's brother or some such relative who's nothing more that a basher and a Gene Simmon's look-a-like. I'll go with Bolo for an antagonist any day.

dionbrother
Really? You guys prefer LIONHEART over BLOODSPORT?

To me, the end fights are no comparison. JCVD vs Bolo as opposed to JCVD vs. Michael Qissi's brother or some such relative who's nothing more that a basher and a Gene Simmon's look-a-like. I'll go with Bolo for an antagonist any day.

Bolo is one of the worst martial arts villains in movies. Seriously, he's a 5'4 bodybuilder with no fight skills whatsoever. Watch the way he shakes his head with every punch he throws in ENTER THE DRAGON. I don't think he ever took a martial art. For all the Hong Kong talent that worked on BLOODSPORT, you can barely tell. It was considered unreleasable and shelved for several years for a reason. It's acclaim came from bigoted audiences that refused to watch "that Chinese shit." I never talked to any HK movie fans that liked it until I started posting on this board nearly a decade ago.

ShaOW!linDude
Bolo is one of the worst martial arts villains in movies. Seriously, he's a 5'4 bodybuilder with no fight skills whatsoever. Watch the way he shakes his head with every punch he throws in ENTER THE DRAGON. I don't think he ever took a martial art. For all the Hong Kong talent that worked on BLOODSPORT, you can barely tell. It was considered unreleasable and shelved for several years for a reason. It's acclaim came from bigoted audiences that refused to watch "that Chinese shit." I never talked to any HK movie fans that liked it until I started posting on this board nearly a decade ago.

Interesting. I never knew BLOODSPORT was shelved for a period of time prior to release. I can understand never having talked to any HK fans who liked it. Had I had the exposure to HK MA films prior to BLOODSPORT I probably wouldn't think too highly of it either. I don't know of anyone who's seen BS and not wanted to see some good HK stuff. I would think it would point them in that direction actually.

I disagree with you regarding his fight skills. He is a Tai Chi stylist and also trained in Wing Chun for a time. I know he's short but I don't think that detracts from his screen presence ( it certainly hasn't hurt Tom Cruise:tongue:) and he's always come across as pretty formidable (to me anyway).

Here's a link to his IMDb page. Seems to have led a rather interesting life.

http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0001866/bio

Here's a clip of him doing a demo.

DliPXg1ifOM

Guest Markgway

According to screenwriter Sheldon Lettich regarding Bloodsport:

"I believe the movie was filmed in 1986. Yes, the movie sat on the shelf for a while (at least a year), because Menachem Golan hated it and was going to release it straight to video. Yes, the first cut of the film was quite bad; JC did some of the re-editing (mostly the fights), and one of Cannon's editors did the rest."

HyperDrive

This could be interesting if they followed the whole six yards of Dux's story. For example, setting it in the Bahamas instead of HK like the original did. But I can't see a remake upstaging the original.

Who would be cast as Chong Li anyways? Cung Le?

kingofkungfu2002
Bolo is one of the worst martial arts villains in movies. Seriously, he's a 5'4 bodybuilder with no fight skills whatsoever. Watch the way he shakes his head with every punch he throws in ENTER THE DRAGON. I don't think he ever took a martial art.

Bloodsport-ChongLeeYouAreNext.gif

:tongue:

Jesse Smooth

The only good thing about the original was the HK scenery and the soundtrack. Bolo is menacing because he's 'big' for a Chinese.

dionbrother

Bloodsport was VD's first starring vehicle. Kickboxer followed a few months later, another snoozefest. Keep in mind this was when US distributors refused to release Jackie Chan movies in cinemas as well as anything starring an Asian. DRAGON THE BRUCE LEE STORY broke that barrier. VD's only competition was Steven Seagal (ABOVE THE LAW was in theaters around the same time) and Chuck Norris was making films that barely saw distribution.

Bolo could have trained with Yip Man himself and still look like crap onscreen. Jesse's right about his size: unique for a Chinese, but unimpressive next to a Ferrigno or Serge Nubret. I think he was the same height as Bruce Lee!

Guest Markgway

It's become all too easy to retrospectively dismiss the impact Bloodsport had on martial arts movies in the US (and to a lesser extent perhaps the UK). It's not a great film by any stretch and the action when compared to the best Hong Kong can offer ain't all that... but it was a huge step toward mainstream acceptance in the field of English language martial arts films. Like him or loathe him Van Damme became the biggest breakout star in the genre since Bruce Lee. I'm not saying you have to like him (or his work) but let's not rewrite history. When I was a kid (let's say circa 1990) Van Damme was hugely popular and we rented his videos constantly... we mimicked his moves in the playground. If you really think Jackie Chan could have had that success with dubbed imports, well, I strongly beg to differ...