Dragon Dynasty Releases! Mad Monkey, Executioner from Shaolin, Five Shaolin Masters!

mpm74

David Rees
I know, it's just that this question seems to come up every couple of months, and David Rees has been on this board long enough to have seen the issue covered numerous times.

I understand NEW members may not be informed, so here's a recap.

It was Shaw's policy to make all martial arts movies in Mandarin, that included the early works of Lau Kar-Leung (from The Spiritual Boxer to Heroes of the East).

As Cantonese Kung Fu movies from other studios (ie. Golden Harvest, Seasonal) proved very successful, Lau was allowed by Shaws to make his own Cantonese pictures (from The Spiritual Boxer, Part II forward).

Firstly , Nothing has been stated as "fact" by anyone in any post about this subject.

They were not "made" in Mandarin or Cantonese.

They were dubbed afterwards in the language which was most popular at the time.

My point was if a film was shot. Then edited. Then sent to the dubbing studio and for instance both Mandarin and Cantonese dubs were made at the same time, then who is to say which is right or wrong?

Most films would have had actors speaking both, so what makes ,for instance, Disciples Of The 36th Chamber Cantonese, if both dubs were done at the same time?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived