US release date: Lieh or Lee?

teako170

I've always heard that King Boxer (released as Five Fingers of Death) came out in the U.S. before Fist of Fury (Chinese Connection).

However, the dates at IMDb list:

Five Fingers of Death

USA 21 March 1973

Fist of Fury

USA 7 November 1972

So, does IMDb have it wrong? Anyone know what the true dates are if the above is incorrect?

IMDb also lists Fists of Fury (Big Boss) as March 1973. Accurate?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jesse Smooth
I've always heard that King Boxer (released as Five Fingers of Death) came out in the U.S. before Fist of Fury (Chinese Connection).

However, the dates at IMDb list:

Five Fingers of Death

USA 21 March 1973

Fist of Fury

USA 7 November 1972

So, does IMDb have it wrong? Anyone know what the true dates are if the above is incorrect?

IMDb also lists Fists of Fury (Big Boss) as March 1973. Accurate?

Who knows with IMDB, However, looking at the US trailer for Fist of Fury (Chinese Connection) it makes a reference to Big Boss (Fists of Fury). Most people say it was Five Fingers of Death, then the Duel, then Sacred Knives of Vengeance.

It was definately 5 Fingers of Death first (Feb 73), then Duel of the Iron Fist (a few weeks later) then Fists of Fury (April) with Chinese Connection in May.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I saw FFOD in 1973 in Rochester, New York. Don't recall the month. It was on a triple header with a Bruce Lee movie as well as a third movie I can not remember the name. The first kung fy movie experience of my life. It blew away both me and my ex-wife.

GD Y-Y

dionbrother

Old timers tell me you couldn't see Bruce's movies outside of Chinatown until after 5 Fingers of Death hit it big. But movies like BIG BOSS were bringing a lot of gweilos to Chinatown in the big cities.

once saw a thing on one of those auction hunters shows where they told the dates because they had a guy that had full size posters and other memorabila from those two movies and others but those had caught my attention.. they said five fingers of death was first but it was a show so they could've been telling misinformation.. unfortunately i dont remember the dates

Archived