Gantz Blu-ray (Warner) Aug 30th

mpm74

Kei Kurono and his childhood friend Masaru Kato attempt to save a man who has fallen onto the train tracks but are run down by an oncoming train. However, rather than finding themselves dead, they are transported to a strange apartment in which they find a mysterious black orb known as Gantz. More details and trailer here.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfamiliar with the manga and anime, but I do think the film was terrible. Lifeless CGI fest, with thoroughly underwhelming acting performances, including coolie-cutie Ken-ichi Matsuyama. Sexual content toned down to zero, some violence remains. Interesting elements in the storyline, but mostly underused. Characterization makes no sense, with Kei going back and forth between asshole and good guy for no obvious reason.

I hear the second part is a bit better.

Unfamiliar with the manga and anime, but I do think the film was terrible. Lifeless CGI fest, with thoroughly underwhelming acting performances, including coolie-cutie Ken-ichi Matsuyama. Sexual content toned down to zero, some violence remains. Interesting elements in the storyline, but mostly underused. Characterization makes no sense, with Kei going back and forth between asshole and good guy for no obvious reason.

100% true to the letter imho. crappy excuse of a movie.

Yeah, the trailer wasn't too hot... it's almost as if this movie should have been made in 2002 to truly succeed. =D

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, the trailer wasn't too hot... it's almost as if this movie should have been made in 2002 to truly succeed. =D

Thanks for the feedback.

why is that ? my assumption would be cuz its hardly ever been easier for a movie to make an impression on the market !?! :xd:

in ´02 it was like the entire asian movie industry combined couldnt achieve anything more than give us merely a handful of good movies- from china we got "hero", SK delivered "2009 lost memories", there was the "returner" (coming from both outer space and japan) and errr....... errrrrrrrr......

other than that, also very few above avg. ones like "no blood no tears". i also kinda dug "yesterday".

chinese odyssey 2002 i thought was surprisingly fun to watch & marrying the mafia i recall being another okay comedy.

i also remember a few underwhelming flix, missing the mark while not being total crap altogether, ie. drunken monkey, muscle heat. theres some more where the latter came from, but man that was a shitty year :squigglemouth:

ps: even with the lamest competitors to compare, it couldnt save gantz. maybe if s/o creative were to re-edit it into an 8 min short aimed at an internet audience... that might help (a little).

Hey, there was that lovely student girl. She had 8 minutes of scenes... no, wait, she didn't :cry:

Good point about 2002 having been a bad year for Japanese cinema. Looking at my dvd collection, the amount of Japanese titles for the early 2000's years is:

2000: 10 movies

2001: 10 movies

2002: 4 movies

2003: 13 movies

2004: 14 movies

Clearly 2002 was a poor year :xd:

This didn't change my life or anything, but I thought it was okay. Like a lot of anime, it doesn't explain anything, and it's very episodic, but it kept my attention. The one "alien" (or whatever they were) that was the robot guy who listened to a boom box was very strange (in a good way) and surprisingly threatening. Oh, and that chick looked really hot in her skin-tight Gantz suit :biggrin:.

That having been said, I'm am TO-tally over the Japanese anime convention of setting up a weird, convoluted story and then not explaining any of it. It was okay in Evangelion, but come on - get over it!

Oh, and did anybody else feel the BIG statue and multi-armed statue at the end were homages to Ray Harryhausen creations (Talos from Jason and the Argonauts and Kali from Golden Voyage of Sinbad, respectively)?

ok, I watched the anime now, so that I can have credibility when I bash the live action :tongue:

The comparison point is not ideal, since the film is based on the manga, not the anime. But then again, the anime is based on the manga, so..

So, verdit? The same. The film doesn't look any better in the light of the anime. The anime is not ground breaking by any means, and it's a bit of a patience test with its 90 minute action scenes (I'm not kidding) and less than charming characters, but it does have enough ultra-violence, strange aliens, and outrageous jokes to keep it interesting while the backstory gains interest points. In the end, it comes out with quite a bit of emotional punch.

The film on the other hand deletes nearly all backstory, and hence comes with no emotional punch (so far at least, I'm referring to part 1) and often makes no sense at all. Violence has been toned down, and all sex, nudity and humor has been removed.

What we have left is empty shells called "characters", and lots of monotonic GCI action.

Archived