Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires

shukocarl

Has anyone ever seen the HK cut of Legend? How does it differ from the regular UK cut (not the crapfest that was Dracula Meets the 7 Brothers). I would assume there would be extra scenes with the chinese cast. It's reported that Chang Cheh shot the fight scenes too. Did it ever get released anywhere on VHS/DVD in Asia in the Hong Kong cut?

Thanks.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

Carl was asking about the HK cut.

Anchor Bay doesn't contain the HK cut, only the US and UK versions.

I don't believe the HK cut has ever been released anywhere on home format.

dionbrother

Roy Ward Baker insisted on directing the fight scenes, hence their sloppy look. Run Run sent Liu Chia Liang and Tang Chia to direct the fights and Baker felt insulted. No knowledge of the HK version, but the Anchor Bay cut gives you Cushing and, I'm guessing, David Chiang's real voices.

Yeah, I heard the late Roy Ward Baker but also that Chang Cheh actually directed some sequences at the same time....for the HK print? I believe the Chinese cast and crew hated all the gwailo's except for Peter Cushing who was impeccably charming (as all his co-stars have said). It would be intresting to see the HK print to see the differences (if any). One thing the chinese makeup artist got wrong was John Forbes-Robertson's terrible make-up job. He looked like an old Queen (rather than the KING of the undead!) lol.

Guest Markgway
Yeah, I heard the late Roy Ward Baker but also that Chang Cheh actually directed some sequences at the same time....

There are pics of Chang directing on set.

EDIT: Or maybe that was Shatter?

I believe the Chinese cast and crew hated all the gwailo's except for Peter Cushing who was impeccably charming (as all his co-stars have said).

Cushing is a legend. Never heard a bad word about him.

One thing the chinese makeup artist got wrong was John Forbes-Robertson's terrible make-up job. He looked like an old Queen (rather than the KING of the undead!) lol.

Lol... true. A terrible performance.

dionbrother

Never heard of Chang's involvement in the film, and considering you could barely get him to direct his own movies, I doubt it. I am open to the possibility, though, if a HK print turns up. Hammer movies have always been shrouded in mysteries and half truths. Don't know how it is in the UK, but American Hammer fans are borderline crazy. For decades there were rumors of extra gore and nudity for Japanese versions of the Hammer Draculas and Frankensteins. Always turned out to be balderdash. Buy any issue of Dick Klemensen's Little Shoppe of Horrors prozine and your head will spin at the Hammer fanaticism and obsessive compulsive disorder.

The additional footage of Dracula disintigrating (in Dracula/Horror of Dracula) HAS turned up in the Japanese National Film Archive. Apparently there was a fire in it's old HQ and the print suffered water damage. The last 2 reels were saved and negotiations are proceeding s-lo-w-l-y to release the footage.

dionbrother

Apparently it is done, and my fingers are crossed for a proper Blu Ray release.

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/96-HAMMER-FILMS-HORROR-OF-DRACULA-RESTORED.html

Too bad LEGEND doesn't have the same type of respect for such treatment. I also wonder if it falls under some copyright law where Celestial could not release it (like that other famous Shaw production, BLADERUNNER).

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/96-HAMMER-FILMS-HORROR-OF-DRACULA-RESTORED.html

Too bad LEGEND doesn't have the same type of respect for such treatment. I also wonder if it falls under some copyright law where Celestial could not release it (like that other famous Shaw production, BLADERUNNER).

No that's not it. I saw the BFI print on release, it's just the US version with the UK title card!

Someone should locate the HK 'Legend' print now!

Never heard of Chang's involvement in the film, and considering you could barely get him to direct his own movies, I doubt it. I am open to the possibility, though, if a HK print turns up.

Hard to say how much he was involved with 7GV but here we see him hanging on the Shatter set giving "pointers."

So, who knows, he may have done the same for 7GV.

Mark - this what you were thinking of or have you seen photos for 7VG as well?

7vamp.jpg

Guest Markgway

"Scenes censored by the BBFC for the release of the UK version, but included in the US version, have been recovered."

That's just the staking scene they're talking about.

Like Carl says the restoration was released in the UK a couple of years ago and wasn't FULLY uncut.

Killer Meteor

I think this is one of the top films for Shaw fighting. Much more dynamic and manic, and you can't go wrong with James Bernard going fully over the top on the soundtrack.

Pity Shaws didn't see the benefit of having actual written scores for their 70s flicks - those Eddie H Wang compilation scores are really off.

I think this is one of the top films for Shaw fighting. Much more dynamic and manic, and you can't go wrong with James Bernard going fully over the top on the soundtrack.

Pity Shaws didn't see the benefit of having actual written scores for their 70s flicks - those Eddie H Wang compilation scores are really off.

I just watched this one again last night. A very frustrating fim, as it has moments of greatness, but some weak scenes. I like the bulk of the cast, Cushing really gets into the role, and a lot of the fight scenes look fine---and yes, the Bernard score really amps things up. I think it was really some of the horror scenes that didn't work that well----I particularly thought that first flashback which told the story of David Chiang's grandfather and the vampires was not really well done.

This was kind of at the tail-end of Hammer films, and it seems to me their budgets/quality, by this time, had slipped from earlier years. If they could have filmed this same story with Hammer production values from 1964, and Shaws fight choregraphy from 1978, this could have been brilliant, IMO.

Archived