Who is your favorite comic kung fu star?

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

In all of kung fu, Classic & or Shaw's, who is your favorite 3 comedic kung fu stars, male or female?

I will voice my opinion after I see some names to refresh my memory.

GD Y-Y :tongue:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Yi-Long

TBH, most HK 'comedy' in those old kung fu flicks is pretty damn pisspoor.

However, I did enjoy the crazy fat voodoo priest in Spooky Encounters, plus I usually really like Sammo. He was very funny in Prodigal Son, among other roles. He's got a perfect face for everything. He can play 'dumb', he can play proud and stubborn, and he can play a total bad-ass.

I also liked Yuen Biao in Dragon's Forever.

emeraldforest

Dean Shek gives a brilliant comedic performance in both SNAKE IN CRANE'S SHADOW and

CRAZY COUPLE! Although he usually plays the annoying get under your skin and throw stuff at the tv guy in most of his roles, these 2 movies show what he is capable of in comedy as well as some pretty nice movement, in the shapes/ martial arts category ! not to be missed!

in the modern era i would have to say Stephen Chow for his comicbook style slapstick

and i guess Jet Li for his more subtle humour

ShaOW!linDude
TBH, most HK 'comedy' in those old kung fu flicks is pretty damn pisspoor.

However, I did enjoy the crazy fat voodoo priest in Spooky Encounters, plus I usually really like Sammo. He was very funny in Prodigal Son, among other roles. He's got a perfect face for everything. He can play 'dumb', he can play proud and stubborn, and he can play a total bad-ass.

I also liked Yuen Biao in Dragon's Forever.

I essentially agree with Yi-Long's entire post.

Love Sammo in Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind and Owl Vs Bombo and Slickers Vs Killers (or is that vice versa).

Biao's role in Dragons Forever as the Conspiracy Guy is great and he cracks me up. He has some funny moments in The Iceman Cometh, too.

Pretty much all of JC's movies have comedic moments in them but I really find him to be just physically amazing more than funny. Love the fight in the restaurant with the members of the Ax gang in Project A: 2.

ironfistedmonk

Don't like the comedy side of kung fu, it usually spoils what could be an awesome movie. If I had to pick one though it would be Sammo, great actor.

silver hermit
Don't like the comedy side of kung fu, it usually spoils what could be an awesome movie. If I had to pick one though it would be Sammo, great actor.

i'm with IFM Sammo is the perfect ballance. i enjoy david chiang, yuen biao, chin siu ho, chin kar lok and jackie chan( under sammo's direction)

comic relief roles are ruled by john shum, woo yuen ping, corey yuen and eric tsang!

TibetanWhiteCrane

Look at my avatar:smile:

Not a huge fan of canto comedy either, but it does have its moments!

I can remember chocolate milk shooting out of my nose the first time I saw Winners And Sinners as a kid, and Richard Ng is dancing around that guy with his retardo boxing moves!

Also, the dinner with in-laws scene in Where's Officer Tuba? That is hi-fuckin-larious!

Or Chin Yuet Sang as the disco waiter, trying, in vain, to bring a plate of soup, without spilling it every time a funky tune comes on in Carry On Pickpocket!

Actually, my taste is pretty much related to Sammo:smile:

ShaOW!linDude

@ TWC: You recall some hilarious scenes! Good call, bro. Little nuances like that are what make so many films funny.

I love Sammo's little luau dancing bit at the beginning of THE SHANGHAI EXPRESS with the soldiers trying to grope him.

Archived