Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning (2012) - Scott Adkins, JCVD, & Dolph Lundgren

blue_skies

I wish you&your son a full,speedy recovery Bob-I was quite shocked to read about this when I came back to read this thread just now.I,too,was the victim of a drunk driver on the night of April 14th,1988(nothing life-threatening,though had I not been driving a long-nosed car like the Monte Carlo Super-Sport I was in it may've been a different story...)I couldn't agree more with everyone else in this thread about what should be done with/to drunk drivers...

First off I'm so glad that you and your son were not hurt badly.

Secondly thank you for takin the time and effort to post your thoughts on the film. I always welcome your views and I usually feel the same way you do about movies so I'm excited for this film.

Lastly.....I totally agree zero tolerance for drinking and driving. Even a few drinks can throw off someone's reactions so I'm glad you didn't lose your temper on the guy....even though I think after reading that we all wanted to lose your temper for you!!!

Glad you and your son are ok!!

All that being wrote.....I simply cannot wait to see this movie!!

I want to see this movie, and I've a good friend who really wants to see this movie. My skepticism of modern films' action scenes has been helped by a few people giving this film good ratings, so I'm actually getting a bit excited about checking this out :xd:

BOB - really sorry to hear about your accident, and slightly upset by your reaction. Where where the Chuckz to see some justice done? I'd have gone down the Police Story 2 route and explained some payback to the drunken asshole:

"I think that breaking your arms and legs should be be quite sufficient..." :tongue:

Joking of course, glad you OK, and best wishes to you and your son :bigsmile:

• Administrator

Big thanks to all you cool cats for the well wishes. Some very nice words there- mucho appreciado fellas.

Just wanted to let everyone know- UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: DAY OF RECKONING is now playing on VOD! You must check it out. Word of warning: There's amazing action (including gun mayhem, highway mayhem, and brutal fisticuffs) right from the start, but the martial arts action doesn't kick in until halfway through the film. It IS worth the wait.

Anxious to hear what the rest of you think of this. It's weird being the first one to see something... :tongue:

I just watched this (No spoilers!)...

Definitely some of the best (most brutal and bloody) action I've seen in an American action flick. The story... hmmm... I usually like things that are "out there," but this one is just bizarre. As long as you have no expectations for a solid story, and are watching it for the action, you'll be pleased. As a whole, US: Regeneration still blows it away.

One thing's for sure - John Hyams is one hell of a director.

P.S. Bob, glad to hear you guys are alright. =D

Good god I'm torn over this film. In theory, it's dreadful. The plot to me was confusing and silly and at times I was actually bored.

However, the action is truly fantastic. Bloody, bone crunching and brutal! Does it save the film? Not really and by that I mean I don't think I would give this a re-watch, but it's enough to stop the film failing entirely.

The finale of this film SUPERB. I'm actually annoyed to see that this film is capable of such incredible action but doesn't really sprinkle it throughout. There are some great action moments earlier on (a fantastic ode to the police station scene in "The Terminator" and a wonderful baseball bat on baseball bat one-on-one), but not enough, in my opinion. They save it all until the end and that's just a bad idea.

Lundgren has what is probably his best fight, Adkins it truly on form and Van Damme is, yet again, underused.

Not the best film I've ever seen, but not the worst. The good parts certainly let you forget the parts that, on their own, are confusing and just genuinely bad.

I did love the horror odes and there is some lovely cinematography to this film, though the use of slow motion gets annoying too.

A slid middle range movie. Give it a go for the action, but don't expect an awful lot.

++++SPOILERS++++

i was disappointed after all the good reviews plot was poor,the woman just dissapeared for no reason.

Fight scenes were good,didnt explain why van damme had turned tho.

As a side note, it's good to see that Adkins has a role in the upcoming "Zero Dark Thirty." Hopefully it's pretty significant and gets him some recognition.

I'm I the only one afraid I was going to get a seizure during those long flashing lights parts? Anyways, this is one of those movies that tries to hard to come up with an interesting storyline and doesn't quite make it. The action was pretty good but its no Undisputed 3. I'll still buy it though because I support Adkins in almost anything he does.

oh boy, u guys are givin me one deja vu after another.

everyone is spot on. weird premise and execution. bizarre indeed. some good action.

i`d avoid the flashing lights first by lookin away, later by ff-ing.

i was shit scared i`d turn into one of em too :tongue::wink:

all in all, 3.5/10

You mean this one is worse than Regeneration?

Regeneration is an over all better movie. Its simple and straight to the point. This movie tries hard to transcend the genre and ends up having a weird and not too fleshed out premise and then they throw in some above average fight scenes at the end.

So I was finally able to see this. The movie has been playing on VOD but HDNET movies shows early releases for one night only and I managed to record this Wed night and watched it last night. I went back and I have to say KFBob's review was spot on. Very Apoloclpse Now in it's tone and that's an interesting thing. The action was impressive and shocking!! I lost track of how many times I said WOW they really just did that!!! Adkins was great in his role and showed that he is a great actor. Again I don't want to spoil anything but he has some great acting moments. Van Damme and Lundgren were great as well.

I have to write quickly about the director and co-writer John Hyams....the man knows how to direct action......very well. His use of slow mo was great and he actually pulls back so you can see the action. I hope he continues to direct more action movies.

So in closing I loved it and I can't wait for the next movie in the series.

One Armed Boxer

DVD & Blu-ray is up for pre-order with a release date of January 22nd for the US, 4th February for the UK. Contemplating making this a double-bill purchase with 'Dredd'!

DVD & Blu-ray is up for pre-order with a release date of January 22nd for the US, 4th February for the UK. Contemplating making this a double-bill purchase with 'Dredd'!

Funny, that's what I'm going to do. Was thinking about doing a triple blind buy and getting Safe, as well.

One Armed Boxer
Funny, that's what I'm going to do. Was thinking about doing a triple blind buy and getting Safe, as well.

You just inspired me....:tongue: Rare to have a chance to watch a triple header of quality action with no subtitles involved!

Drunken Monk

Both "Dredd" and "Safe" we're underwhelming. I really don't get the hype around "Dredd" given that it's just another mundane action film.

"Universal Soldier" might be worth a buy for some though. I wished it would have been simpler and more focused in action but I can understand why so many love the action/horror hybrid feel to the movie.

Both "Dredd" and "Safe" we're underwhelming. I really don't get the hype around "Dredd" given that it's just another mundane action film.

"Universal Soldier" might be worth a buy for some though. I wished it would have been simpler and more focused in action but I can understand why so many love the action/horror hybrid feel to the movie.

I agree with the Dredd comment but I found Safe to be one of Statham's best. The action choreography and gun fights were done very well and once the movie gets going it never lets up.

ShaOW!linDude

Regarding Safe, I agree with Lionclaw. Thought this was one of Statham's better recent action films.