Five Deadly Venoms Dragon Dynasty Blu-Ray

saltysam

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

finally a REALLY good , unfiltered, full HD Bluray from DD. sadly this is a movie i won't even download for free, but hopefully more interesting comes which is worth actually paying money for. Unlike everything from Well Go & co.

BigDruDogg

Mmm that Crow tastes good :crossedlips:

I guess I was wrong on my assumption that DD was gonna fuck up this release!!

I'm happy I was wrong, it looks great :xd:

Guest Markgway

I'm a big fan of The Five Venoms... so assuming that the Mandarin mono track and subtitles are still present I'm willing to upgrade.

I've never been a fan of this movie, IMO it's one of the weakest Venoms flicks.

Great news that DD finally did a smooth job on it.

Tigerstyles

wherre can i pick this up UK side?

playusa gone?

Movietyme dont stock it..

any others?

OldPangYau

This actually gives hope for the potential of future Shaw Brothers blu-rays from Dragon Dynasty, especially after the abysmal 36th Chamber BR. I'd love for them to go back and release King Boxer... hell, if need be, label the cover "FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH (aka king boxer)". That's more or less what they did with Five Deadly Venoms, even moreso with "Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms" (Crippled Avengers).

Then again, they're still sitting on a mountain of Shaw titles that need a DVD release... I'm looking at you, Boxer From Shantung!

Senor Quack

My copy was waiting for me when I returned from a business trip. I've only had a chance to sample it on my laptop, but the quality is stellar. The disc includes the original mono Mandarin dub as well as the classic English dub, both in Mono 2.0. The only extra is a Bey Logan commentary, which I haven't sampled yet. The original trailer would have been nice, but oh well. I played the English dub with the subtitles enabled so I could see some of the differences (granted it's been a LONG time since I've listened to the English dub on this one). I do own the IVL DVD version and while the subs on the DD Blu Ray seem to have been cleaned up a bit, there are still some errors (the laughable reference to The Snake as being called the "Snake Spirit Dude" is still there). It's a bit odd what they've chosen to mirror in the subtitles and the English dub, and what they kept from the IVL subs. For instance, the group is now referred to as "The Poison Clan" in the subs, however The Lizard is still referred to as "The Gecko". I'll need more time to digest it, but I think this will be the version fans have been asking for; a pristine HD transfer with original audio. I think the only other thing we could have wished for was a copy of the original, old school English subtitles (which are arguably better), but that's probably expecting a bit much given what we've seen for most companies. Well, I suppose they could have thrown in the mono Cantonese dub too, but.. In any case, the subs are a minor quibble considering the work that was done to get the HD transfer right.

OldPangYau

Got my copy today at Best Buy. In short, THIS is how 36th Chamber should have looked.

This, Media Blasters' release of Heroes Two, and the "cut short" BCI release of Opium and the Kung Fu Master are the best looking Shaw blu-rays I've seen so far.

Here's hoping DD actually takes a chance and releases other classic Shaw titles on blu-ray. King Boxer, damn it! And keep up with the 1080p transfers!

OldPangYau

You know, I just thought of something... perhaps they could "sneak out" a remastered 36th Chamber blu-ray by releasing a trilogy box set, similar to the French release. This way they wouldn't have to deal with trying to swap out the original one... lord knows they'd be too cheap to do a replacement program.

I would love for them to release more SB blu-rays based on their earlier releases. But, we'll have to wait and see...

You know, I just thought of something... perhaps they could "sneak out" a remastered 36th Chamber blu-ray by releasing a trilogy box set, similar to the French release. This way they wouldn't have to deal with trying to swap out the original one... lord knows they'd be too cheap to do a replacement program.

I would love for them to release more SB blu-rays based on their earlier releases. But, we'll have to wait and see...

Ha! I was just thinking the same thing the other day. I want a proper blu-ray of 36th Chamber!!!

OldPangYau
Ha! I was just thinking the same thing the other day. I want a proper blu-ray of 36th Chamber!!!

Seriously! I don't want to have to import a French blu-ray set that'll probably put me over $100 after price conversion/shipping, that's also region locked AND has no English subs!

Then again, if I ever get a blu-ray drive/burner for my PC, perhaps I'd be crazy enough to try a custom blu-ray... then again, I hardly even have time to make custom DVDs anymore :tongue:

I prefer the dve menu over the blue. The blue ray features some generic rock music playing in the background instead of the movie`s main music theme. And, I think the trailers are missing from the blue that were on the dvd. Not sure if the blue has any trailers on it other than for the movie itself. And, the "subs by..." message that appeared over the ending of the dvd has has been removed on the blue ray.

Archived