Chinese Stuntman aka Counter Attack

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

Released in Hong Kong on 21/1/84 but apparently filmed in 1981.

European release dates from 1982 would certainly support this.

Does anyone have any good info on where this was released first? Why it was shelved in HK? And what the differences are between edits? (I believe that the Counter Attack edit is almost 10 mins shorter).

Thx.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shukocarl

There's a crazy sequence where Li fights some 'midget oddjobs' ...god knows what version that comes from though?

Guest Markgway

Lol... what?

I saw 'The Chinese Stuntman' and don't remember anything weird like that.

Maybe they put that in the Counter Attack re-edit?

There's a crazy sequence where Li fights some 'midget oddjobs' ...god knows what version that comes from though?

Definitely a Bruce Le movie. =D (but then again, who knows with all these AKA titles)

When was Pink Trap made? Because Bruce Li looks more fit in Counter Attack than he does in Pink Trap.

One of the best intros ever. lol The dubbing is so rough on that movie.

Definitely a Bruce Le movie. =D (but then again, who knows with all these AKA titles)

When was Pink Trap made? Because Bruce Li looks more fit in Counter Attack than he does in Pink Trap.

One of the best intros ever. lol The dubbing is so rough on that movie.

- That scene is from "Chinese Stuntman", but it was cut in alternative releasation. Bruce Le movie that you mentioned is Ninja Strikes Back

- I'm not sure when Pink Trap is made, but I would say 1985.

- That scene is from "Chinese Stuntman", but it was cut in alternative releasation. Bruce Le movie that you mentioned is Ninja Strikes Back

My apologies carl.

Next question: Is this scene on youtube? If not, it needs to be. I seriously didn't think Counter Strike had any room for nonsense you'd usually see in a filipino Bruce Le flick.

Guest Markgway

That scene must've been added after the fact because it doesn't in with the style of The Chinese Stuntman as I remember it. It's certainly not in the uncut UK DVD.

That scene must've been added after the fact because it doesn't in with the style of The Chinese Stuntman as I remember it. It's certainly not in the uncut UK DVD.

No shit! That's like having Ninjas in Police Story.

Coliseum1972

The midgets are in Bruce Les King Boxer 2 , not Ninja Strikes Back *shudders thinking of that scene*

Bumping this thread because I need help choosing which dvd to get (if either)...

There's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Stuntman-Dubbed-In-English/dp/B0017DNK6A/ref=tmm_dvd_title_0

And this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Counter-Attack-Danny-Inosanto/dp/B0006SSORM

I'm guessing the second version is the one with the goofy inserts? Either way, is one preferable to the other?

I believe both come from the same shitty VHS source.

But the one with the black cover (more expensive one) has a commentary track/interview with JohnLadalski (I can't remember if it's interesting or not, but I know it was really bad audio quality).

Regardless, it's a great film. One of Bruce Li's best. Not sure if you've seen it, but definitely pick it up.

But the one with the black cover (more expensive one) has a commentary track/interview with JohnLadalski (I can't remember if it's interesting or not, but I know it was really bad audio quality).

Regardless, it's a great film. One of Bruce Li's best. Not sure if you've seen it, but definitely pick it up.

Thanks for the lowdown, mpm74.

I have (or had) it as a 3rd gen. vhs dupe from a tape trade I did back in the late 80s or early 90s (one of ten thousand that I must have done). Doesn't sound like much of an upgrade, but I might pick up the version with the interview/commentary. It's cheap enough.

Killer Meteor

It's just a text interview. The whole release is skewed towards Jeet Kune Do and Ladaski - poor Bruce Li is made to seem useless.

It's just a text interview. The whole release is skewed towards Jeet Kune Do and Ladaski - poor Bruce Li is made to seem useless.

Crap, my bad. I could of swore it was a crappy commentary (off a phone call). Maybe I'm thinking something else.

Killer Meteor
Crap, my bad. I could of swore it was a crappy commentary (off a phone call). Maybe I'm thinking something else.

My bad, there is an audio interview on there! Never listened to it...

ChineseSausage

I think you thought of the VideoAsia's version of Bruce Lee: True Story. It features those telephone interviews.

Archived