Did Gordon liu do his own Stunts ?

Fanboy1991

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

Nobody does ALL their own stunts, and few does NONE of their own stunts.

masterofoneinchpunch

I first heard this from one of Ric Meyer's commentaries. Where did you read it from?

You can easily tell from the editing that he is not doing the more gymnastic moves.

Fanboy1991
Nobody does ALL their own stunts, and few does NONE of their own stunts.

So Jackie and Sammo didnt do there own stunts too ?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Gordon was not good at gymnastics and was definitely doubled for those types of moves and dangerous stunts.

Hello bro. Those two guys did almost all of their own stunts until they became huge in the '80s. Keep in mind that first and foremost they wanted the action to look good. That was their priority. So although there was a bit of ego involved in "I could do that!", they did both use doubles. Often when JC was injured he would rely on others to double him. Chin Kar-Lok was one of his main doubles and can clearly be seen executing a kick (which JC was obviously capable of doing) in the Benny "The Jet" DRAGONS FOREVER fight. Director Stanley Tong did the building to building jump in RUMBLE IN THE BRONX. And as JC was injured, a lot of the Pachinko parlor fight in THUNDERBOLT was performed by doubles. As Sammo got older and heavier, he often used doubles for his more acrobatic movements. I've actually seen ((at least I'm pretty damn sure) tiny little Meng Hoi- all padded up in a fat suit- doing doubling for him before! :smile:

Even Bruce Lee was famously doubled for the two acrobatic flips in ENTER THE DRAGON.

I'm sure you'll find at least a half dozen other threads on that subject.

I remember the commentary in Heroes of the East, Logan points out a few places where Gordon Lau is doubled, but it was Pops doubling for him!

Fanboy1991

Pops doubled for him thats pretty cool. Makes me wonder if pops looked like Gordon Liu and acted like him would he be the main character of more of his movies just a thought. I tried freeze framing a lot of Gordon Films and it looks like him through alot of stuff. Did the Venoms do their own stunts or did they double each other?

Pops doubled for him thats pretty cool. Makes me wonder if pops looked like Gordon Liu and acted like him would he be the main character of more of his movies just a thought. I tried freeze framing a lot of Gordon Films and it looks like him through alot of stuff. Did the Venoms do their own stunts or did they double each other?

I think the scene where LKL doubles for Gordon is the one where he spins the three-section staff behind his back. LKL was an excellent weapon wielder and apparently Gordon couldn't perform all the tricky stuff LKL was demanding.

I can't recall that the venoms doubles for each other at any specific point. There might have been some scenes early on, but since most of them were acrobats in the first place, my guess is it would be a bit redundant. And since Lo Meng (and Sun Chien to some extent) couldn't flip or tumble like the rest, trying to make it look like he could just wouldn't be worth the effort.

The Jackie and Sammo issue is probably a topic of it's own, but wasn't Jackie doubled as early as Drunken Master for some of the intricate acrobatic scenes? At least so I've heard, and some of the moves do seem more likely to Yuen Biao's or Yuen Wah's work.

Sammo was definitely doubled pretty early in his career as well, the end fight in Magnificent Butcher being the first thing that comes to mind. He could do a lot of stuff, but there were limits.

I remember the commentary in Heroes of the East, Logan points out a few places where Gordon Lau is doubled, but it was Pops doubling for him!

I have this commentary but haven't listened to it.

I posted a screen cap back in 2006, and then later, in 2008.

Looks like the "other" brother. Scroll down to the fifth post. What do you think?

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5623&page=3

Sometimes it bugs me when its excessive, like Dance of the Drunk Mantis or Magnificent Butcher but those are still great movies. Sometimes its downright hilarioius like Yuen Biao with a wig on doubling for Cynthia Rothrock in Above the Law.

odioustrident

Some of the worst doubling I've ever seen, almost ruins a decent movie.

bCg6EuTqbdY

Fanboy1991

First thing you get when you type in Stunt Double on You tube = Jackie Chan's Stunt Doubles.

Lau does a Back flip close to the end.

I'm pretty sure that's not Lau Kar-Leung, considering the editing and that you never see his face.

ShaOW!linDude
Some of the worst doubling I've ever seen, almost ruins a decent movie.

bCg6EuTqbdY

I don't know. It was definitely obvious but I don't know I'd say it was the worst I've ever seen.:tongue:

But I think you've hipped me to a film I've never seen. What is this from?

David Rees

You must be very naive to think anybody does all there own stunts. Hong Kong Movies, especially in the 70s and 80s were made very quickly so doubles were used sometimes just to get the scene finished ASAP.

I am sure i read somewhere that Lau Kar Leung had a stunt guy who he used just to do the leg splits in his movies. You can tell doubles in most movies if you look closely enough.

kungfusamurai

It doesn't require hard analysis once you know what to look for. Clues are usually the face is hidden, or they're using a wide shot (i.e. the camera is far away so the actors look small). Liu definitely did not do all of his stunts. The only major stunt I can think of that he did was doing the somersault when getting shot with arrows in Executioners From Shaolin. If that's not him, it's a really good look a like.

Disappointingly he's heavily doubled when his character is using a sword in Shaolin Vs Wu Tang, which is odd since I assumed he learned that when learning Hung Gar, or at least had plenty of practice with Pops being his 'brother'.

KFS

peringaten
Not to me. Almost every martial arts actor has been doubled at some point. Lau Kar Wing was doubled for somersaults and such in damn near every movie I've seen him in. I have seen the great "Pops" doubled as well. To my knowledge, the Lau brothers weren't acrobatic. I see Hsiao Hou doubling alot.

Correct me if Im wrong. Name a movie where either of the Lau brothers perform somersaults in 1 full take?

Closest you'll see is LKL in the synchro form training sequence with Hsiao Hou midway through Mad Monkey. LKL does a back flip into a kind of push up stance rather than landing on his feet. Lau family aren't about acrobatics, instead fighting structure. It's interesting to watch that training bit in Mad Monkey frame by frame, LKL's structure (for fighting I'm talking) is impeccable constantly, Hsiou Hou's in that regard less so, HH slightly compromised uses his full body momentum to whip & throw himself about, LKL looks guarded even in mid-air. Acrobatics kind of compromises Hung Gar Kuen's principles, although when LKL comes close he keeps them in there...

Fanboy1991
It doesn't require hard analysis once you know what to look for. Clues are usually the face is hidden, or they're using a wide shot (i.e. the camera is far away so the actors look small). Liu definitely did not do all of his stunts. The only major stunt I can think of that he did was doing the somersault when getting shot with arrows in Executioners From Shaolin. If that's not him, it's a really good look a like.

Disappointingly he's heavily doubled when his character is using a sword in Shaolin Vs Wu Tang, which is odd since I assumed he learned that when learning Hung Gar, or at least had plenty of practice with Pops being his 'brother'.

KFS

Well I watched alot of bad quality Videos I think Ive gotten more of the remastered stuff and can see lots of doubling. This thread has opened my eyes thanks for all the answers.

The Silver Fox

Another practical reason for stunt doubles is money. It isn't that Jackie or Sammo weren't capable of some of this stuff but if they were to be injured, the production grinds to a halt and lots of money is lost. If stuntman X falls of the scaffolding and gets hurt, well get somebody else and shooting continues a few minutes later. If would be insanely time consuming if Jackie had to do every single stunt in his movies-I think it is pretty obvious that he does the main ones .

John Liu,Hwang,Phillip Ko, Chen Kuan Tai, Ti Lung-all great fighters but they are certainly doubled when an acrobatic move like a flip or sommersault or back flip is required. No big deal, I figured it was common knowledge.

The guy who doubled Gordon most was a guy called Rocky Lee, if you watch Citizen Shaw you will see him doubling for Gordon in the filming of Return to 36th Chamber descending from a tree on a wire-he is also one of Hsiao Hou's brothers in Disciples of the 36th Chamber.

Rocky Lee did all the splits in pops movies, for those who couldnt do it-he doubles Wang Lung Wei doing the splits up the wall in Martial Club-sadly he was crippled doing a modern day actioner in the mid 80's.

As for pops doing a backflip in Mad Monkey dont make me laugh, that is quite obviously Ching Chu doing the flips, pops's assistant choreographer alongside Hsiao Hou.

Archived