Bloodfight (1989) - Yasuaki Kurata, Simon Yam, Meg Lam, Bolo Yeung, Cristina Lawson

AlbertV

Okay, I went to a local Dollar Tree the other day and I found a copy of BLOODFIGHT starring Yasuaki Kurata and Bolo Yeung. I figured it was $1.00 and one thing that always finds me curious about these is to see if anything has been cut.

Broadpoint Entertainment's DVD, which is an obvious transfer from the VHS, took out the curse words in the film. In particular, when gang leader John (Stuart Smith) tells the stall owner, "I wouldn't take this s**t from a dog", he says in this print "I wouldn't take this (inaudible) from a dog".

They did keep all of the violence intact though. It was like watching the film in the 80's on Drive-In Theater or WPIX's Fist of Fury Theater. LOL

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

i ve the old HK vcd.. i m still looking for the names of the girls who fight the punks..

All I know is according to the credits, her name is Sindy Lim. However, there isn't much information on her, if any at all.

sifu iron perm

this film used to depress me, but nice idea with the teacher avenging his student!

ShaOW!linDude
this film used to depress me, but nice idea with the teacher avenging his student!

I always thought that was a unique twist, too.

Jeru the Damaja

Ah man, I remember watching this movie when I was a kid. It was pretty bad if I remember correctly. It was also an obvious blatant rip off of Bloodsport. Hell, I think Bolo Yeung even played the exact same character in both movies.

sifu iron perm

Toby Russell directed the so called 2nd part right?

Blood Fight 2 aka The death cage, or did he just produce it?

Death Cage wasn't a sequel to Bloodfight. Some distributors just called it that to capitalize on Bloodfight. Here in the USA, Xenon labeled the film as "Mortal Combat 2: The Death Cage" because Robin Shou was in the film.

The original title of Bloodfight is actually Final Fight. I saw the original Japanese poster on Kurata-san's web site.

sifu iron perm
Blood Fight 2 is actually Death Cage and I think it was directed by Robert Tai.

that's right..

Toby had a part in it!

Toby had/has a good relationship with robert.

Cognoscente
On 5/9/2011 at 6:29 PM, sifu iron perm said:

I wonder if they were inspired by Sammo Hung's The Victim.

• Like 2

bloodfight2020-08-25-18h10m21s095.png?ss
Simon Yam and Yasuaki Kurata

21622_5.jpg
The late and legendary John Ladalski

Bloodfight+1989-19-b.jpg
Original Japanese poster

Bloodfight+1989-17-b.jpg
BTS Photo: Stuart Onslow-Smith, Cristina Lawson (who later played Phillip Rhee's sister in Best of the Best 3), and Simon Yam.

Bloodfight+1989-16-b.jpg

Sindy Lim, who had quite a fight scene in the film against Smith's goons. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
3 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Is this a Japanese production or a Hong Kong one? The IMDB says the latter, the HKMDB says the former.

Japanese..... with international markets in mind.

• Like 1

Does anyone know who the action director was? The English credits in the film didn't mention anyone.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

It might have been Bolo. He had several credits as a choreographer in the seventies.

Could be. Yasuaki Kurata had enough experience by this point--he worked a bit with the Hung Ga Ban in the 80s--that he could have choreographed them, too. According to the IMDB, the first assistant director of the Hong Kong unit was Peter Chen, or Chan Lau. Chan Lau also had ample choreography experience, to maybe he contributed?

The Bravest One (1974)          
Magic Curse (1975)          
The Death of Bruce Lee (1975)          
Moon and Stars (1975)          
The Girlie Bar (1976)          
Cobra (1977)          
A Fistful of Dragon (1977)          
Impetuous Fire (1977)          
Prostitute Loves Police (1977)          
Mantis Combat (1978)          
The Stowaways (1979)          
Kung Fu Cook (1980)          
How to Choose a Royal Bride (1985)          
Temptation Summary II (1991)          
The New Marvelous Double (1992)
Happy Partner (1993)          
The Lady Punisher (1994)
Midnight Express in Orient (1996)

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 7/8/2022 at 6:48 PM, Cognoscente said:

It might have been Bolo. He had several credits as a choreographer in the seventies.

On 7/8/2022 at 5:10 PM, DrNgor said:

Does anyone know who the action director was? The English credits in the film didn't mention anyone

Bolo Yeung worked/contributed on the fight choreogrpahy on a few of his movie, but he didnt always get a credit. Im guessing this was a group effort with Bloodfight, rather than just one person?. Many Martial Arts movies, that still dont credit anyone for the action direction. As we all know, The HKMDB.Com has started alterting who they credit for this role, often now with multiple people credited under sightly different related roles.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1