TF Mou's 'Men Behind the Sun' Interview & Link

Guest kenichiku

Guest kenichiku

Since I occasionally dabble and lurk about in the horror film genre/forums, I ran across a recent sobering interview these radical New England guys at ‘Horror View’ did with TF Mou regarding his current Region 1 release of Mou’s ‘Man Behind the Sun’ films which BTW, I never gotten enough courage to ever watch, let alone buy. In this interview, political views are espoused, so be forewarned (especially fellow Americans who may wince). I found myself engrossed and fascinated as hell after reading it and I’m sure some of you fans, aficionados, film students, filmmakers alike, historians, journalists & Sino-philes will too, go to Horror View.

An interesting and ironic footnote here for those interested in ‘Googling’ for more facts: BTW, the Ivy League author Iris Chang just committed suicide not far from where I’m based here in California (Santa Clara, Ca) a few months back (obviously Mou’s interview was done earlier); those close to her say she delved a little too much into such intense material with heavy personal & political baggage, hence taking her over into the deep-ended depression that led to taking a gun to her head, leaving surviving husband & children behind. She may have lost her ability to deal with the stress, to simply quote the interviewer (out of context of course). She was 36.

Please note that this is some controversial stuff now. I’m not editorializing for or against the content presented here. If you have anything to share, we’re all ears; if you have anything regarding the content, take it up with the web-master there (some dude named ‘Big McLargehuge’) responsible for presenting that interview. As expected, the Japanese government is not pleased with the negative publicity brought about from this woman when her book hit American streets. For objectivity, there are opposing views about cyberspace refuting her work that you should undertake in fairness to make up your own mind on the topic. In the end, it’s just ‘Beyond my Ken’.

And with this is about all I know about the man online (not aware of any Chinese sites) from a French Splatter site called Gore (Francais). You may wish to correspond with the web-master there or have someone like KFScholar (aka the insightful Quebecoise Yves) who parlevous here and at Mobius can fill the blanks with a translation. Here, I can ascertain that Mou's previous film credits and got his early training at the University of Vincennes (and I don’t mean Vincennes, Indiana) but over near your parts at l'université de Vincennes, Saint Denis, France.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

Good interview. Gets to the heart of the matter. The only thing Mou doesn't like talking about is the film's animal cruelty. But on the subject of politics and humanity he's open regarding his motivations and feelings. He also speaks a truth that many don't want to hear.

It's the most harrowing film I've ever watched and whilst I cannot forgive the heinous animal cruelty the bulk of the film has a valid point to make and if your stomach is super-strong it maybe worth seeing at least once.

Guest davec316

Here's the most longest and most detailed interview online with Mou (with photo of the man himself) conducted during the 1999 Fantasia Film Festival:

www.horschamp.qc.ca/9901/...hind1.html

He gives similar points as in the Horror View interview but this delves into his background, production of MAN BEHIND THE SUN, etc. in much more detail.

For a long time, I was almost convinced that Mou has serious and good intentions in mind when he made MAN from his comments in this interview. After seeing LOST SOULS where he indulged in inflicting the cast and the audience in so much depravity for depravity's sakes, I'm not so sure anymore.

Guest venoms5

There are also interviews on both MEN BEHIND THE SUN and BLACK SUN:THE NANKING MASSACRE that are presented in text form. I must say that although the violence in both these films is some of the strongest ever put to film, the Japanese did far worse to the chinese people than what Mous had the time or budget to portray. I'm nearly finished with Iris Chang's NY Times bestseller THE RAPE OF NANKING:THE FORGOTTEN HOLOCAUST OF WW2. The book is the most harrowing true account I have ever read and is not recommended for people with weak constitutions. The Japanese committed such inconceivable and horrifying acts of violence and torture on men, women and children that even the Nazis' were appalled. The fact that the true accounts of what happened to the Chinese during WW2 particularly in Nanking, have not been properly "recognized" or addressed by the perpetrators some of whom still hold governmental positions. It is also a travesty that outside of these two films there has been no other movies other than a few minutes in Bertoluccis THE LAST EMPEROR(this sequence was removed from the Japanese version but later reinstated after much controversy) to even approach the subject. I am shocked to learn of Mrs. Chang's suicide. When did this happen?

Guest Markgway
The fact that the true accounts of what happened to the Chinese during WW2 particularly in Nanking, have not been properly "recognized" or addressed by the perpetrators some of whom still hold governmental positions.

That's what I was meaning to say... you put it better. As horrible as the film is to watch it serves purpose as a historical doucment of war crimes that have yet to be confessed to or apologised for. I think the Chinese who shown amazing forgiveness; had Germany refused to acknowledge or say sorry would the west have been so accomodating. I fully understand Mou's outrage.

Guest sevenhooks
I am shocked to learn of Mrs. Chang's suicide. When did this happen?

A few months back. She was found in her car with a self-inflicted gun shot to the head. She had been battling with depression on and off for some time.

What a waste.

Archived