Who Was the Shaw Brother's Best On screen Fighter ?

Fanboy1991

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
Gotta be "Pops" Liu Chia-liang. Whether he's playing hero or villian, I always get the feeling that he could mop the floor with whomever he was fighting.

Ti Lung in the later Shaw years was a very believable fighter, particularly in Shanghai 13 and Opium and the Kung Fu Master.

I'm minded to say Chen Kuan Tai as well. He was king boxer of southern china when he was first discovered by Shaws. But, even Chen Kuan Tai in an interview on one of my dvd's answers a question about Liu Chia Liang stating in no uncertain terms, he was the master.

So, I say Liu Chia Liang.

2nd. Liu Chia Yung

3rd. Chen Kuan Tai

4th. Chi Kuan Chun

5th. The Venom's

6th. the most under-estimated and under-nurtured, Hwang Jiang Li (spelling) Kid From Kwangtung should've been taken a little more seriously.

7th. Ku Feng, I just have to add for honourable mention.

I'm missing a few I'm sure, but these come to mind foremost.

Chinatown Kid

Hwang Jang Lee was the ultimate badass in Kid From Kwangtung but was only in that and Ghosts Galore at Shaw. I will go with Fu Sheng then, who had the fighting skills and charisma to go with it.

Lu Feng...movies are only as good as their villains are and nobody was more sinister or better with weapons that Lu Feng....

Edit:it might affect bit to that opinion I just re-watched magnificent ruffians and his final shout "sun shines forever" damn incredible...

Lu Feng...movies are only as good as their villains are and nobody was more sinister or better with weapons that Lu Feng....

Edit:it might affect bit to that opinion I just re-watched magnificent ruffians and his final shout "sun shines forever" damn incredible...

I've got to agree Lu Feng was an amazing villain and probably was a major factor in making the venoms movies so fantastic. Seeing him versus four venoms in the finale of Shaolin Rescuers was just a joy to watch. And one of many superb performances.

Kuo Chui & Chiang Sheng would probably be my two favourite on-screen fighters from Shaw Brother movies, closely followed with an admiration for Lu Feng. However that might change as I see more Shaw Brother movies over the coming months.

Has to be Kwok Choy, his acrobatic skill, and his peerless ability with weaponry-long and short (his Gim work is on the same plateau as Adam Cheng)- is almost without comparison, only Chiang Sheng, Lu Feng and Chu Ko hold the same level....however what sets Kwok apart is his incredible Handplay-check him when he spars with Chan Shen in Sword Stained-Beardy qual shapeswork....and his bootwork against affirmed bootman Sun Chien at the end of Golden Arm....different level.

Wish they had finished the movie Wong Jang Lee started directing at Shaws in 82-83, with Kwok, Silver Fox and Wong Yu in the cast....or at least let the footage see the light of day...Inspector Hai To vs Silver Fox...there's a shapes showdown to dream about...

I guess it would come down to what type of fighting?

Sword: Adam Cheng... Excellent movements.

Hand to hand: Chen Kuai Tai.. Power reflects on-screen.

Shapes: Chi Kuan Chun... Master of Hung Shapes.

Acrobatics: Kwok Choi... Fighting, acting, moving all at the same time.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Im gonna go a little off the beaten path here.....

Tsui Siu Keung.... seriously adept at both hand to hand and sword!

Tony Leung Siu Hung.... amazing all rounder!

Tony Tam.... Shaw's best kicker!

hwang jang lee

kwok choi reminds me of a asian charles bronson at times. just natural and easy

yuen biao is another just natural looking fighter on screen. just looks to preppy sometimes.

Cognoscente
On 5/4/2011 at 1:31 AM, dionbrother said:

Hsiao Ho. Nothing that guy couldn't do on screen. Wish he'd made more movies. A friend asked Sammo why Hsiao didn't fight more in EASTERN CONDORS and he had no answer.

Guilty conscience.

• Like 1