Who Was the Shaw Brother's Best On screen Fighter ?

Fanboy1991

Who do you think was Shaw Brothers best on screen fighter ? I'm going to go with my favorite and say Gordon Liu. The man could be funny or serious and was a real Martial artist and not just some actor that was trained at the the studio. I want to know who you guys think.

Eastern Evil
1. Chen Kuan Tai

2. Gordon Liu

3. Chi Kuan Chun

I liked Fu Sheng because he had great flair, and your number 3 is a great choice. I loved the scene in Shaolin Temple where he is fighting in the room with the animals carved on the walls. His eyes have an insane look to them. great fighter.

His and Fu Sheng's scene where he is teaching him secretly were fantastic.

I also enjoy the scene where Fu Sheng is late so the teacher won't teach him, and he is following/mimicking Chi's movements.

Monk Sante

Good question, tough to answer. But I would have to go with Kuo Choi, there wasn't anything he couldn't do on screen. Each Shaw star had something to offer, that;s what made the Shaw films classic.

Blood Sword

Weapons it`s Lu Feng.

Chi Kuan Chun would hv likely been#1 but he was given too little to do at Shaws so now it stays Chen Kuan Tai

emeraldforest

Lau Kar Leung (Hung Gar ) takes the title in my book!

followed by Lo Meng ( Taijiquan and Chow Gar )

Yuen WAh deserves honourable mention especially given his awesome performance in TO KILL A MASTERMIND ;)

Chi kuan chun was no doubt a good fighter but he really wasn't a shaw bros star as he has. Stated in interviews that he was signed onto Chang Cheh's company after Chang's company collapse he did not follow the crew back to shaw bros as he started his own company. So my pick went to Chen Kuan Tai someone who was a shaw bros star

crazedjustice888

Chi Kuan Chun all the way. I would have to say Gordon Liu and Lau Kar Leung close second.

I'd go with Fung Hak-On, even though he wasn't SB-exclusive for that long and not really a "star" per se. Still one amazing on-screen fighter and bad guy.

dionbrother

Hsiao Ho. Nothing that guy couldn't do on screen. Wish he'd made more movies. A friend asked Sammo why Hsiao didn't fight more in EASTERN CONDORS and he had no answer.

• Like 1

Gotta be "Pops" Liu Chia-liang. Whether he's playing hero or villian, I always get the feeling that he could mop the floor with whomever he was fighting.

Ti Lung in the later Shaw years was a very believable fighter, particularly in Shanghai 13 and Opium and the Kung Fu Master.

Killer Meteor

Lu Ti (Wang Chung's father in THE DELINQUENT) always struck me as a particuarly formidable on-screen martial artist.

A lot of the Shaw stars are great on screen but their fighting looks like choreography, Chen Kuan Tai's fighting looked real! Thats why he gets my vote.

I think Lo Meng showed amazing power in his techniques.

Fu Sheng was a great all rounder with flair.

Lau Kar Leung was definitely the master when it comes to on screen Hung Gar.

18JadeArafats

Man, so hard to choose! I just finished watching Magnificient Ruffians, so Kwok Choi and Lo Meng are pretty high on the list. Hsiao Ho and Lau Kar Fai, too. But I've got to go with Lau Kar Leung. Like someone else said (and it could be merely observational bias) he just exudes genuine fighting prowess. It's unmistakable how low his center of gravity always is and how precise his moves are. Lo Meng in certain movies has that quality, too but the choreography of the Venoms crew tend to emphasize a certain rhythmic quality while LKL's are more fluid and so when he fights it's even more badass.

Hsiao Ho. Nothing that guy couldn't do on screen. Wish he'd made more movies. A friend asked Sammo why Hsiao didn't fight more in EASTERN CONDORS and he had no answer.

I vote for him too, along with Lau Kar Leung. I'm always surprised that Hsiao Ho gets a lot of hate online, people seem to be confusing the comedy elements of certain films with his talents. He should have had a much longer career in front of the camera. I'm going to watch Disciples of the 36th Chamber just because of this thread, maybe a couple more films too.

He was very similar to Yuen Biao in my opinion, amazing acrobatics combined with great fighting skills.

• Like 1

Yellow Faced Tiger

That's a pretty tough choice but I think I have to give it to one Mr. Philip Kwok purely off of versatility. Such a phenomenal talent who was a jack of all trades.

Lu Feng stands clear in my mind in the weapons category though. And...well...Lo Meng's always been my favorite when he's not doing what he does best on screen (ahem...die).

• Like 1

A master? Lau Kar Leung

A charismatic trained multi talent actor? Alexander Fu Sheng

A versatile martial artist? Chi Kuan Chun

A great actor and versatile with weapons? Adam Cheng