Animego's next release?

waywardsage

waywardsage

So whats up for Animego's next release? I'm still trying to catch up from that major box set sale from last year! I just want to find out what other samurai films they have headed our way.

Lets get a discussion going about this.

My personal hope is for more Hideo Gosha films. They release Secret of the Urn, which was a great step! Lets hope for more.

I'm hoping for: Samurai Wolf 1 & II, Three Outlaw Samurai, and Tenchu.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah so far this year has been pretty quiet with AnimEigo. So far, the only film we know for sure that they are releasing is "The Clone Returns Home" which I've heard good things about, but it's not a samurai film.

Hopefully they do release more Gosha films. Hunter in The Dark and Tenchu especially. They did an excellent job on Secret of The Urn.

Oh and check out Revenge! It just went on sale on their website. One of the best samurai films I've seen in years.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I thought the Sleepy Eyes Of Death second installment released in Feb was a pretty big deal. That alone was huge to me. I spoke with one of the reps there and he said they were intendinjg to release the last four films as well. All the Shinobi No Mono films would be nice. The Betrayal would be a godsend!

gonzotheking

Right around the time The Sleepy Eyes of Death volume 2 set came out I e-mailed the Animeigo guy.which is something I do periodically with some DVD companies. Even though they usually don't tell me much. Although I did get the Criterion guy to confirm that Gosha's "Three Outlaw Samurai" would be coming out "soon". But, that's "soon" in Criterion terms so who knows when it will actually come out. Anyways, back on topic, I asked him about the rest of the "Shinobi No Mono" films and he said they hoped to make an announcement soon. Just the other day I e-mailed them again to see what was going on and all I got out of him was that they were working on closing deals on some new licenses and they hoped to make an announcement soon. So what I've basically told you here is absolutely nothing...

thank you for your time.

PS: Echoing Vegeta84; Revenge(Adauchi) is awesome!

Yeah AnimEigo is our best bet in getting Japanese films in the states now.

A few years ago there were so many companies releasing Japanese films that I couldn't keep track. HVE, Tokyo Shock, Artsmagic, Navarone/Ronin Entertainment, Kino, Tartan, Pathfinder, Palm Pictures, etc. Now we don't get much besides AnimEigo, Criterion, and a few other odd ends.

Yeah, I would love AnimEigo to finish off the Shinobi No Mono series as well as Sleepy Eyes of Death as well as release a ton of Gosha films and pretty much a ton of other Japanese films.

Also off topic, but I also got the criterion guy to say that Three Outlaw Samurai was coming, but he wouldn't answer me when I mentioned Bandits Vs Samurai Squadron. Hmm.

waywardsage

Hey, ANY news about new releases is good news! I can't wait to get a Criterion edition of 3 Outlaw Samurai!

Good to hear that there might be some movement on the rest of the Shinobi No Mono series and the Sleepy Eyes of Death. Perhaps I'll be all caught up by then with the stack of boxed sets I have yet to finish!

waywardsage

It would be good to see the last set of the Shinobi No Mono films. I just fished the boxed set tonight! They were awesome!

What other films does anyone think they'll release? The Satan's Sword Trilogy?

whitesnake

There are still several companies besides Animeigo releasing Japanese films here. Magnet/Magnolia is releasing 13 Assassins, and is buying other Japanese films, like Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Tokyo Shock is still releasing Japanese films, one of the latest being Black Rat, later this month. Viz Pictures does release some live action movies, along with all its anime titles, like Train Man, 20th Century Boys, Gantz the Movie, K-20, Detroit Metal City, Kamikaze Girls, and more. Funimation has released Goemon, Kamui Gaiden, Aliens Vs. Ninja. It will release the recent samurai film, Tajomaru, in the fall. Well Go USA has released Blood, Assault Girls, Samurai Princess, and Geisha Assassin. There's also a new company, www.japanflix.com, with is coming out with new titles, to rent or to buy, unavailable elsewhere. Check out their website.

There are still several companies besides Animeigo releasing Japanese films here. Magnet/Magnolia is releasing 13 Assassins, and is buying other Japanese films, like Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Tokyo Shock is still releasing Japanese films, one of the latest being Black Rat, later this month. Viz Pictures does release some live action movies, along with all its anime titles, like Train Man, 20th Century Boys, Gantz the Movie, K-20, Detroit Metal City, Kamikaze Girls, and more. Funimation has released Goemon, Kamui Gaiden, Aliens Vs. Ninja. It will release the recent samurai film, Tajomaru, in the fall. Well Go USA has released Blood, Assault Girls, Samurai Princess, and Geisha Assassin. There's also a new company, www.japanflix.com, with is coming out with new titles, to rent or to buy, unavailable elsewhere. Check out their website.

Yeah, but it's too far and between to what it once was.

Magnet/Magnolia will release 1-2 to Japanese films a year. 3 if we are lucky.

Tokyo Shock is a former shell of what it once was. It mainly releases low budget horror films now compared to when they were releasing Takashi Miike greats and a bunch of other good Japanese films.

Viz has released 3-4 lives action films tops in the past 12 months.

Funimation is similar to Viz, but a bit better with their releases.

Go USA is more along the lines of Low Budget exploitation films which seems to be the same as Japanflix.

I guess something is better than nothing, but there are so many films that need to be released over here that it is sometimes frustrating.

I don't think there's that much demand left for Asian movies. After Kill Bill for a few years you could sell Asian films even to mainstream audiences, thanks to motormouth Tarantino's free advertising, but now they've already released most of the major classics. The random viewers got their dose already, and you're back to true fans, who aren't that many.

DVD/BD is a commercial business. If Asian movies sold better, everyone would be releasing them.

That being said, I think new Japanese cinema is really interesting right now. It's a shame hardly any of these films get released outside Japan.

waywardsage

Now that we're deep into 2012, it's looking like it will be a record year for samurai and japanese film releases! What are peoples thoughts? I wonder if Neptune Media has designs to release more than just "The Last Samurai?"

The Neptune Media website had the announcement for the release of The Last Samurai on dvd at least two years ago. Only now is the dvd being released. The website still has no announcements of other future dvd releases yet. As for "contact us", the only contacts for Neptune Media are snail mail, phone number and fax number. No email address listed.

waywardsage

Why would they take FOREVER to just release one obscure Samurai film if they weren't planning on releasing more?

Archived