G.I. Joe 2: Retaliation (2012)

AlbertV

This is apparently the title of the upcoming G.I. JOE sequel that is due next year. Jon M. Chu is directing the new installment, which is scheduled to shoot in New Orleans this September through November.

Officially signed to return so far are Channing Tatum as Duke, Ray Park as Snake Eyes, and Lee Byung-Hun as Storm Shadow.

The film is due for release August 12, 2012.

Source: Dark Horizons

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

GooooooooooOOOOOOOOO, JOE!!!!

I'm down. Here's hoping Ray Park gets to showcase a lot more in this one.

Can't they just make the cartoon into a movie instead?

I heard that the new movie is going to have a lot more "down and dirty action" a la the 80's cartoon.

One of the sequel's scribes, Paul Wernick (ZOMBIELAND), revealed the following in an interview with G4

I think it's safe to say that, while it was a mega-hit with a world-wide gross of over $300 million, The Rise of Cobra was not exactly met with high universal praise. Personally, as an old-school "A Real American Hero" fan, it was kind of a mixed bag. On one hand, I went into it with a set of realistic expectations about how it would be adapted in its overtly-modernized style, and of course, the "accelerator suits." For what it's worth, it was a solid action film with great stunts, worthy of the movie ticket that I purchased. On the other hand, it seems like they actually went out of their way to butcher the G.I. Joe mythos in favor of derivative storyline devices. ("Brainwashed Baroness?" Really?!) I wasn't expecting a purist's wet dream, but I still feel like there was NO effort to meet loyal fans even half-way. Larry Hama's original G.I. Joe comic series was a treasure-trove of deep, realistic story ideas that unfortunately went untapped.

ShaOW!linDude

Honestly, I can do without the bulk of the Joe characters so many of which are 2nd and 3rd tier IMO.

I thought they had selected a pretty good cadre for the 1st film (which I personally liked). Could it stand to be pared down? Sure but don't get too crazy.

Prediction: If this sequel does not have Scarlet in it, it will bomb.

Dark Horizons reports that Dwayne Johnson has signed on to play Roadblock as well as in negotiations The RZA to play The Blind Master, a mentor to Snake Eyes and Jinx; and DJ Cotrona to play Flint.

Confirmed to return are Channing Tatum as Duke and Ray Park as Snake Eyes. Elodie Yung joins the team as martial arts fighting Joe member Jinx.

Bruce Willis is playing Joe's new leader

and a new title: G.I. JOE 2 - RETALIATION

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/2011/08/11/2011-08-11_bruce_willis_cast_as_namesake_in_gi_joe_2_retaliation_with_dwayne_johnson_channi.html

Official cast so far:

Channing Tatum as Duke

Dwayne Johnson as Roadblock

Ray Park as Snake Eyes

Joe Mazzello as Mouse

Elodie Yung as Jinx

DJ Cotrona as Flint

Adrienne Palicki as Lady Jaye

Ray Stevenson as Firefly

The RZA as the Blind Master

punchingonpaper

I like RZA, but am definitely not a fan of the man's acting. Strictly speaking, I'd rather see a kung fu veteran play the role of the Blind Master. What do you guys think? Who could do it better?

I like RZA, but am definitely not a fan of the man's acting. Strictly speaking, I'd rather see a kung fu veteran play the role of the Blind Master. What do you guys think? Who could do it better?

As a once faithful reader of the old Marvel GI Joe comics, The Blind Master is portrayed as an older African-American man and Vietnam Veteran. My vote would've been for the Black Dragon himself, Mr. Ron Van Clief. For a man in his 60's, he's in damn good shape and he still does occasional stuntwork and definitely has the chops to fill the role. I like The RZA too, always have, but I agree that this role should've gone to an older African-American martial artist...

punchingonpaper
As a once faithful reader of the old Marvel GI Joe comics, The Blind Master is portrayed as an older African-American man and Vietnam Veteran. My vote would've been for the Black Dragon himself, Mr. Ron Van Clief. For a man in his 60's, he's in damn good shape and he still does occasional stuntwork and definitely has the chops to fill the role. I like The RZA too, always have, but I agree that this role should've gone to an older African-American martial artist...

Wow. Great call, Shaolievil!

What about Jim "The Dragon" Kelly?

Heck, I'd even go for Michael Jai White in aging make-up over RZA.

I don't know if Cobra Commander is even going to be in this installment as Joseph Gordon Levitt confirmed he was not going to return. Unless they hire another actor to replace him.

I really wish my net connection was on at home so I could view this!!! :cry:

Having dug the first one I'm hoping this one is as good or even better.

Certainly, the cast is way more interesting this time round.

• Administrator

That looks really fun! I'm seeing a whole lot of katanas, ninjas, and Snake Eyes stuff. :nerd: Plus, Bruce's scene in the El Camino was great. :bigsmile:

Here's a viewable trailer for all...this looks much better than RISE OF COBRA

bSX2oxLdcWA

I have to humbly admit that this looks like it might be alright:yociexp100:. It looks like they might actually be trying this time.

Having come to this revelation, I deleted my orginal post/rant on this thread. I still think the first was terriable though.

I watched this last weekend with a friend from my workplace. I enjoyed it and thought it was a fun action packed movie.Lee Byung-hun had a much bigger role here and I thought his character stood out the most. The highlight for me was Storm Shadow vs Snake Eyes and the fight on the mountains with the ninjas.

Archived